Looking for the "IDEAL" tank bag - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
BPF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking for the "IDEAL" tank bag

Now Im looking to get a tank bag.
Not a huge one, not a little one, not one that hits the bars, perferably one that connects at the head and at the front of the seat area.......

Any recommendations / picts???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 PM

The FAMSA 260/7 was designed to fit the BMW R1200 GS (not Adventure) and fits the Versys, although it may be too large for what you are looking for. I've heard that FAMSA has also made a smaller bag specifically for the Versys, but I haven't seen it sold in the US.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Ordering a FAMSA bag is a complete pain in the USA. The "distributor" is just some guy working out of his garage that happens to speak Italian. My bag is on backorder. I got no notice from them. A week after I ordered it I had received no shipping info. I sent an email and got no response. Called and finally found out that it would be 3 weeks. Needless to say I'm not holding my breath. But it is a great bag so I'm willing to wait.

Steve

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:19 PM

I just ordered a quick lock tank bag from Twisted Throttle.

I got the smaller bag, called the daypack II. With the bag and attaching ring for the Versys, to my door was $119.

It is my understanding that the quick lock from Twisted Throttle is the same one that Kawasaki is selling. I think I read that on another forum somewhere.

I have asked others for feedback on the one I purchased, and received only good reports on it, as far as quality etc.

They also have other size bags that fit the quick lock system, but you need to watch how big you go because the handlebars may hit the bag if you go too big.

The system from Twisted Throttle has you drilling your own holes in the bottom of the bag to match the holes in the locking ring that fits around the gas tank ring. This is so you can move the bag forward or backward to your own desires in order to get the bag where you want it, and limit interference with the handle bars.

You can go to their site, and see the bags and prices they have.

They are a little pricey, but it seems all the tank bags seem to be made of gold, not matter what kind they are.

When I get the bag, I will post some pictures of it if anyone cares.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:54 PM

I got the Vino QL bag. The quick lock ring is made by SW-Motech. They have lots of options including powered rings that allow you to use powered bags with lights and power for your devices. It is really convenient, but place it on your tank before you drill the holes. I got mine a little close to the handlebars and it is a little tough to pull the tab to release the bag. I will probably drill new holes and plug the first ones I drilled. They are really nice and stable...you don't have to worry about magnets or straps.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Luggage locker here,have them on both my bikes and use the heck out of them.Its expandable,and there are addon bags that can be zipped to the main bag.they are made in Ohio
http://www.luggagelocker.com/index.htm

AMA EAA STN
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM

If my wife hadn't already bought me the Bags-Connection tank bag I probably would have bought the Luggage locker. I like their ring and locking system better.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Hey Maddjack, is that the basic luggage locker you have?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Not sure why people are having trouble communicating with Famsa - I have had a few exchanges with them within a day. Their latest response:

Dave,
We have plenty of 244/48 in stock. The reason it is not listed on our website is that we are working on a completely new site and all new items like the 244/48 will appear when the site overhaul is completed. To order it, just place an online order at www.bikerworldusa.com for any FAMSA 244 model, and before checking out please write "This order is for a 244/48 Kawa Versys" in the space reserved for Notes/Special Instructions. We will ship the correct model.
Rumors that there is a back order or a long lead time are not correct. If you talk to others that might be interested in the bag, or even in other bags that are not listed (for example the tankbags for the Aprilia Shiver, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200RT, BMW HP, Kawasaki Versys, BMW F800ST and many others) please tell them to contact us to check the availability. As of now they are all in stock, just not listed on the site.
Best regards
Mauro / Bikerworld USA
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Someone on this site recommended a Rapid Transit, Bradley model. I picked one up for $15 from newenough.com. It fits the lines of the bike pretty well. It's not huge, but holds an extra pair of gloves, wallet, phone, bottle of water, and camera with no problem.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:53 PM

That Rapid Transit one looks like a good deal - anyone see the larger "Abrams" version - it's a whole $2 more at $17!!!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM

Ok, enough is enough. Couldn't decide on which one, so I bought both (Bradley and Abrams)! Easy to do when the bag is 10 times cheaper than the one I was thinking of getting!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Turnbud... any chance that you have a pic of the Abrams bag on your V or any comments re your experience with it? You gotta love that price.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Ordered it 20 minutes ago...no pics yet!

For sure. Will post photos of each size (bought both!) when they arrive. Cheers.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbud View Post
Not sure why people are having trouble communicating with Famsa...
To back up Turnbud, I also got a reply from Famsa within 24 hours of asking about the 244/48 availability. They sent the same instructions he (Turnbud) provided and I had my bag about a week after ordering.

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM

Turnbud, you made a great buy. You don't have to pay a lot for a good bag!
At least thats what my wife says.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...

Last edited by Motocox; 04-03-2009 at 11:47 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:42 PM

I wound up with two bags a small magnet one for around town and a large strap down one for touring. The other day at the bike shop I caught myself looking at a medium size one. Its like gloves I'm always looking for the perfect pair. Why can't I just can't be happy.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Smile tank bag

I have a Joe Rocket Manta XL and love it it fits everything i need to haul around i pod gloves camera cell phone wallet check book
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM

Tried to go to newenough.com but i don't see any Rapid Transit tankbags at all. Am i doing something wrong? Or was that a special closeout. Anybody else carry them thanks

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode