Best GPS - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Best GPS

As a contractor I have been bidding jobs at night, on the V, and bring along a print out of a goggle map to find the location, not good in the dark. Soooo, I want to pull the trigger on a GPS. I know a bunch of you have them, and I need one that is beyond simple (my middle name) to use and easy to read and reasonably priced.
Tkx all

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Garmin Zumo 450 with Speedy's mount. Hands down the top dog for me. Waterproof, shockproof, and get's me where I need to be without issue. I've had mine for a year now, but I'm fairly certain they've come down in price drastically since my purchase (I paid around $430 from Amazon.)

Jim

A few shots of mine mounted from a few rev levels of farkles ago:

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Lowrance XOG

I have a Lowrance XOG that I purchased from Cabelas for $120. The unit is water resistant and is an excellent value. I found one on Amazon for $225. See
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoors/XOG/ For a mount I use a Ram-Mount. Q? Let me know.

Mike

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:28 PM
BPF

+1 on the Zumo

I have had a Zumo 550 over a year now and very happy with it.
The 450 would really be fine, ( the 550 has XM, MP3 capability and cost more)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM

We have been using the Zumo 550 for almost two years now. We have had a couple other GPS units, but this is our favorite. We have it hooked into our Autocom system and we can hear the spoken directions through the intercom and also play MP3's. If something happened to it today, I would replace it with another one.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 PM

I have the Garmin Quest and it's a good, versatile unit, but maybe a little more complex than what you have in mind. Everything I've heard about the Zumo is good and if I were buying a new one today that's what I'd probably go with. The display is a good size and with the touch screen feature it's very suitable for bikers, especially if you ride wearing gloves. Shop around because the prices on these vary a LOT!

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Your GPS setup looks really good Mackdaddy!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:39 PM

The Garmin Zumo 660 (the successor to the 550 and 450) comes out next month on April 10th.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM

I have a TomTom Rider 2. I bought a TT 1 and it crapped out on me, so they sent me a new 2 at no charge.

I made my own bracket before Speedy's came to market.

Is it the best? I don't think TomTom's product is as reliable in general as Garmin. My wife has a Garmin Nuvi and to me its not as user friendly and not as easy to plan routes and detours etc.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM

I have a Zumo 550 mounted on the Speedy mount and really like the location better that the Motech/Kawi mount. You don't have to take your eyes as far off of the road to look at it. I also use it with my cell phone and Chatterbox XBi. That way I can see the caller id on the Zumo before I decide if I want to stop and take the call. I can listen to MP3s and voice directions on the Zumo through the XBi.

The Zumo has gotten me lost once...the road just wasn't there. I really like that it stores the tracks so that I can see where I rode...it also works great as an accurate speedometer. Overall I have been very happy with it...just a little pricey. I have even dropped it a couple of times with no issues.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Wow.. Zumo 660 looks really nice. I guess that means anyone looking for a 450 is going to get a screaming hot deal!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM

i also have the zumo 550 and i think it's great. i replaced my lowrance i way 500 with the zumo, much easier to use and comes with both car and bike mounts.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks all...This forum always rocks...Pulled the trigger on the Garmin and of course had to give Speedy my credit card # also And hallelujah, now more dopey goggle maps

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garmin gives AMA members 20% off. I ordered a 660 through their web site (supposed to ship on 4/13). Price was $639 after the discount. AMA is only $40 and you get free road side assistance with the membership. Check the AMA member site for more info.

I imagine that there will be a few 550s & 450s on ebay after the 660 ships.

Steve
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 AM

I picked up a Zumo 450 from amazon.com a while back for $330. It's an EXCELLENT GPS unit, and I have zero complaints.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Good deal Contractor. Looks like the Zumo 450 is a STEAL right now (seeing as how Schleppy got his for $100 less than I paid in June 08.)

Rock on,
Jim
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Actually MackDaddy, I bought mine on 7/22/08. I think I lucked out and got it during some big sale.

Regardless, keep your eyes peel, someone is always having a sale.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
Good deal Contractor. Looks like the Zumo 450 is a STEAL right now (seeing as how Schleppy got his for $100 less than I paid in June 08.)
Actually, it seems to be quite the opposite. I've been trying to find a good deal on a 450 for the past 4 months or so, Yes, prices were down to about $350 on Amazon earlier in the year, but now they are up to $700. I'm not sure why, but my thinking is that there is still sufficient demand for the units but since they are discontinued, the supply is drying up. I just found a used one on Craigslist, which I pick up next week. It's supposed to come with all accessories, in the box. I would be hesitant to buy one with just the mount & power cord for fear that it's stolen.

Also, if you find one on at an attractive price on the Internet, do your homework on the reseller. I've heard a lot of stories of people ordering a unit at a great price and then getting the run-around or high-pressure sales pitches to buy other stuff.

Some discussions that you might find handy can be found over on ADV Rider:

Which GPS Should I buy?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363483

Where are the good deals?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394747

Brian
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 PM

I'll be damned. The 450 in price hike mode. looks like it's time to SELL!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode