Break-In Procedure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Break-In Procedure

Hey, I finally pick up my V tomorrow (long wait!), and still don't have it clear in my mind what "school of thought" to subscribe to regarding break-in. I've done a fair amount of reading, and am wondering what's the main theme here on the Forum regarding break-in?

Do you subscribe to the "follow the owners manual and keep it below 4k, vary your speed", or are you in the perhaps more in the controversial "run it hard - seat those rings - rev it as long as the oil is warm" camp? Lots of internet articles on both sides of the argument.

Anybody think it makes a REAL difference unless you are a track day fanatic that can tell 1/10hp differences between two engines? Just curious on your thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I always run mine in close to the book recommendations with bikes-although trying to keep it under 4000rpm is a challenge.

My reasoning is that the folk who design and build the machine know more than I'll ever know about this bike or any bike.

For the first couple of thousand I also avoided long runs at a constant speed-vary the throttle and gears as much as possible.

Because the V engine revs so high, it can't hurt to follow their recommendations. Add in an early oil change and you'll have an engine that will be good for at least 50,000miles and probably double that.

Will it crap out on you if you don't follow their run in procedure-probably not, but I plan on keeping the V a long time and its good peace of mind for me.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Is an internet article going to honor the warranty if it breaks?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Like you stated, there are as many opinions as there are liver pills. I am a firm believer in heat-cycling, early oil changes, and run it like you drive it, but avoid lugging. I also change oil to a full synthetic {Amsoil} at 200 miles. JMHO.....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM

I like full synth too, but would recommend a slightly longer interval (about 1000 miles) before switching to it. Running the dino stuff will allow the engine to break in better. IMO.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 PM

From my experience with big block Mopars, it is best for your rings to run it like you're going to drive it, or even like you stole it. For all the other parts, it's best to keep the revs low until quite a few heat cycles have strengthened all the parts. With rebuilt engines, the parts have already been cycled so go ahead and flog it. If you've got a new engine I'd say better safe than sorry and keep it cool. It's pretty dad gum hard to keep it under 4000 rpm's though, I feel like a sitting duck. I've got 550 miles on my Versys, and have already changed the oil once. I'll do it again at 1000 miles. I don't usually go to full synthetic (car or bike) until 5000 miles, just to make sure the rings are fully seated.
There's my 2 cents worth, I'm sure you'll find LOTS more opinions on the subject. I look forward to reading them all.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 PM

Step 1: Ride.
Step 2: Refer to step 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode