Corbin on the way - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Corbin on the way

Yea! My Corbin seat is on it's way to me via UPS; scheduled to arrive 31 March. I ordered it on 13 March and expected it to take much longer. Ordered it through JC Motors because they gave me a 15% discount off the MSRP. It was supposed to take at least 3 weeks to manufacture; maybe someone else canceled their order.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 AM

Damn! I ordered mine last Friday directly through Corbin. I didn't realize anyone gave a discount!!!! Oh well, hopefully it'll be worth every penny of the $475 shipped price.

Post pics when you get it!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean. I usually "jump the gun" and buy without shopping around. This time I did a net search and found JC Motors. Got it shipped to my door for $394.99. Don't know if they will honor that price for everyone; maybe I just got lucky for a change.

I would have preferred a Sargent but they said they have no plans on making a seat for the Versys. They looked at it but they decided they couldn't make a seat to meet their standards because of the seat/tank junction and the angle of the frame under the seat.

My toys:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Well Dennis, I didn't really "jump the gun" on this one. I just didn't do my extensive research like I usually do. I had no idea that there were vendors who discounted Corbin seats. I was under the impression list price is as good as it gets with them. Oh well.

Under $400 shipped is a smoke'n hot deal. I'm still under the mindset that what I paid will be worth every last red cent if I can ride the bike for hours on end without my a$$ screaming at me.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm still under the mindset that what I paid will be worth every last red cent if I can ride the bike for hours on end without my a$$ screaming at me.
Man, I hear ya'

To borrow from a semi famous add:

Price of the bike ~ $7000 approx.
Price of seat ~ $475
The ability to now ride the bike for more than a few minutes at a stretch ~ priceless!

BTW, I took a short look around your web site; Nice photos. And it looks like you've done lots of farkeling; including trying different options to try and improve the seat. I think you will be happy with the Corbin. This is the fifth Corbin seat I've bought. I've had 16 bikes besides the Versys.

My toys:

Last edited by DennisD; 03-27-2009 at 08:14 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 PM

I think you will really like it, but you may still want a lambswool pad because these Corbins are pretty hard. But they really do sit better.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:30 AM

Agreed Dennis, I'll gladly give the few extra bucks to appease my rear. Still would have been nice to save $80. I've had Corbin's on two other bikes, plus a Sargent on my Ducati. I know it won't disappoint.

Thanks for the comps!

You're right Steven, you'll still need a sheepskin to compliment the Corbin. I'm keeping both my sheepskin & Airhawk seatpad. They're both worth their weight in gold!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:53 PM

I'm in shock. I just lay down around 2:00 to take a siesta, and the door bell rings. Low & behold it's FedEX with my new Corbin saddle!!!!!!

The washer shim trick worked like a charm to get around the luggage bracket fitment issue. A quick couple of rides around the neighborhood tells me this was worth the $$$.

I got no email confirmation of shipping, and didn't expect it for another couple of weeks. Ordered, and to my door in a week!

Ride on,
Jim

Oh, and here's the latest farkle I just installed last night. A set of flexible, waterproof 40 LED array's by Radiantz. The pics do them no justice on how bright they are. Wired as running lights.

Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-28-2009 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

You sure those lights are legal? You wouldn't want to break the law, would you?

OBTW, back on the topic of the seat; when I went to install my Corbin, I couldn't get the rear to latch down. After struggling with it a short while I decided to try to see what was binding (yea, I'm a slow leaner). It appeared that the seat wasn't going far enough forward. Played with it some more. Bumped, pushed, grunted, struggled, did a little . Started thinking the seat to tank fit was off. While looking under the seat while trying to align the rear latch it looked like it wasn't going far enough forward. Thought, "great, now I have to box it up and send it back for re-fitting". Then I noticed that the front seat tab appeared to be trying to go under the cross piece (from frame tube to frame tube, just above the battery) that the upside down U shaped bracket bolted to. This forms the slot the seat tab is supposed to go into. I'm thinking "why would they design it this way?"

Then, the squirrels turned the wheels in my brain just enough for me to make a conclusion; the tab is bolted to the seat upside down. Got out the sockets, flipped the tab over and the tab went where it is supposed to go and the rear latched down.

My toys:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, and here's the latest farkle I just installed last night. A set of flexible, waterproof 40 LED array's by Radiantz. The pics do them no justice on how bright they are. Wired as running lights.
Those are awesome. I did something similar with a red LED like that on the back of my top rack so that my brake light would be more visible to tall vehicles. I might have to copy your idea!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:25 PM

+1 on those L.E.D.s
I was looking through your farkles last night and those stuck out to me. A great idea, a bit pricey, but I'm defenitly thinking about investing.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM

Great to hear Dennis. I've yet to get any real seat time with the new Corbin, but I'm sure It'll pay for itself in "smile miles" in no time at all.

Steven & Amir - Yes they're expensive little LED's but after the initial power on test before installing them I knew they're worth every penny. Radiantz makes some great products. Lifetime warranty as well. I'll have to get some "night time pics" posted. I'd say they'll pay for themselves in "I'm still alive miles" just as the seat will pay for itself over time too.

Be my guest on replicating the idea. The more lights & reflective material on the bike, the better!

Take care,
Jim

Edit: Procured the LED's from Custom Dynamics. They've been great to me over the years! http://www.customdynamics.com/flex_led_array.htm

Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-31-2009 at 03:45 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM

So I just had to order some stuff after seeing your set up.
I got an led strip to go inside the lens on my topcase, that way it will be a running/ and brake light, it pulses when the brake is applied so that everyone and there mom will be able to see it too!
I also ordered a voltmeter...
gonna add some side running/accent lights later.
Thanks for the link, Custom Dynamics had good prices compared to the msrp I saw on the radiantz site.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:43 AM

Good deal Amir. I've been dealing with Custom Dynamics for a few years & have nothing but good to say about them. Light that bike up!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 AM

How did you attach the LEDs? Do those have adhesive backing. The one I put on my top case rack did and it have stayed on really well. My only concern with those side covers is that I painted them and I am sure that paint hasn't adhered as well as the factory paint.

Steve

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode