new versys... 600 mile mark - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
new versys... 600 mile mark

So I just passed the 600 mile mark on my 09 Versys. I have to say keepin it below 4k was hard to do haha. I took a ride from Los Angeles to Palm Springs and back the other day with some friends and that was alot of fun. Out in the desert I noticed how susceptible the Versys is to strong winds. Were any of you guys surprised by that at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 AM

I am around the 500 mile mark. I love this bike. Although honestly , I have been up to 6000 rpm. I hope I didn't ruin the bike.
I have to say I can't imagine why anyone would need to go up to 10k rpm. I have plenty of power in the 4-6 range.

2009 Versys Green
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dFRESHb View Post
I am around the 500 mile mark. I love this bike. Although honestly , I have been up to 6000 rpm. I hope I didn't ruin the bike.
I have to say I can't imagine why anyone would need to go up to 10k rpm. I have plenty of power in the 4-6 range.

After you get a little more comfortable with it, rev it up to 9 or 10k in 3rd once or twice & you'll see why (While you're riding, of course, not in neutral.... ).

Actually, I agree, you don't need to rev it to 10k. It's a nice peppy motor around 6 to 8k...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM

The 6-8K RPM range makes me smile!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 AM

I only have 160 on my bike and I had that itch to open her up one time for a lane merge. There is a difference.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyatt View Post
So I just passed the 600 mile mark on my 09 Versys. I have to say keepin it below 4k was hard to do haha. I took a ride from Los Angeles to Palm Springs and back the other day with some friends and that was alot of fun. Out in the desert I noticed how susceptible the Versys is to strong winds. Were any of you guys surprised by that at all?
I guess it depends on what you're used to. I find the Versys to be quite stable in windy conditions.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 PM

I just came from a ninja 250 and had to battle with the wind all the time. The Versys is a world of difference but I bet a contours 14 would be better due to its weight. I will take the weight advantage (smaller being better) any day.

Last edited by cdmoore74; 03-31-2009 at 10:38 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm coming up on 600 miles on mine. The bike seems to move around quite a bit on the freeway when winds are gusting over 10 mph, but maybe I'm just noticing it more since it's been quite a few years since I last rode on the freeway (just getting back into it). I just added the large Givi windshield and this morning's commute was worlds better.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM

You guys that are having trouble with the wind need to relax. Your arms are too stiff....relax your grip and just look where you want to go. The V is easier to ride in the wind than a Ninja 250.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Thanks MN Smurf. I've read a few other posts here that suggest the same, and I realize I need to just pour on some more miles and just get more comfortable out there.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Greenie, you ain't been blown around 'til you've run down the interstate on a Ninjette. BTDT, got the T-shirt. Riding in a wind is a less of a skill and more of an art...do it enough and you'll get to the point where you can predict what the wind is going to feel like as you pass objects along the road (like overpasses or from a field to behind a large stand of trees) and be able to compensate for it with a minimum of thought. The secret is to have loose arms, a relaxed grip and look where you want to go....your balance will do the rest.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM

MN_Smurf, I'm with you on that. the wind is not even a thought process that goes through my head anymore... after you get used to the bike and learn how it is affected, you just naturally adjust on the go. Stay calm and loose, it real easy from there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode