Why so many Versys for sale? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why so many Versys for sale?

I just unloaded my 2007 Triumph Sprint ST and Im seriously considering adding a Versys to the stable. I do have some reservations about getting one mainly why are so many people selling 08 and 09's with such low milage? Seems like there are quite a bit of used ones available? Are people just generally not happy with the bike? Please put my concerns to rest so i can get back on 2 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 PM

I noticed that myself the other day, absolutely no way known anyone is getting their hands on mine, am still seriously thinking of not letting even my dad have a run on it. Love my V!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think there were a few bought when gas was $4 a gallon. At 55 MPG it pays for itself pretty quick at $4 gas. But mainly I think it has to do with the economy. You loose your job and have a bike that you only ride a few times a month... starts to look like easy money.

I just picked up a used 2008 with 600 miles on it. Guy was a rural postal guy. Says he buys a new bike every year, had a few collectors in the garage. Was in perfect condition at $5350. If I'd traveled a few more hours south looks like I could have gotten a brand new one for $5600. Local dealer wanted $6000 + fees (never bother to negotiate).

I think it is a great bike at a great price. Yes there are better bikes out there, but not that cost this little, are so capable and get great MPG. People are not selling it cause the bike sucks, but rather because the economy sucks.

Steve

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM

For me it's just economics. I have 4 bikes and the Versys and my custom chopper have to go. I have nothing but good things to say about the V but I'm not selling my Harley Ultraglide and my wife rides the 1200 sportster. I also won't sell my Ducati Hailwood so the V goes. Mike
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 PM

I'd agree that it's the economy. People are strapped.

If not that, then people are stupid. Don't buy a brand new bike if you haven't done all the research, checked the competition, test rode, read reveiws, sat on it at the dealership, etc. If it only takes 1500 miles for you to decide you want something else or don't want a motorcycle at all, then you either have a lot of disposable income or you've got no idea what you're doing. A lot of people also buy more bike than they can handle. Despite what others have said, I wouldn't classify the VS as a beginning bike. People new to motorcycling often get in over their head, really quickly, and they find out motorcycling isn't right for them. That's why I always encourage new bikers to get something used. It's easier to figure out what you want that way, and you're not taking the $1000 depreciation hit a new bike suffers as soon as it's driven off the lot.

This is a great bike, I love mine. Granted, it's not for everyone. People make impulse buys, I suppose, but I don't. I waited three years for the VS to come to California. I almost settled for a V-Strom. I knew it was what I wanted.

But bikes aren't necessities.

I'd also check for crash damage on any low mile newer used bike. A first crash for a biker is often a reason to sell.

c'est le vie

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:00 AM

A lot bought them for the above mentioned gas mileage then realized that bikes entail a bit more than strapping on and going. It was a new bike, a great looking bike, the bike of the year, and pretty damn cheap. You had a ton of fair weather riders picking it up last year.

Then the economy went to hell. If you can unload a sometimes used toy for $5k or so when you get laid off its a good thing. I got my mine last year from a lay off. Friend of a friend was getting laid off and it fell in my lap.

Don't just look at the Versys for sale, look around at all of what a lot of folks consider 'toys'. Boats, bikes, cars, and everything else that people getting hit by the economy can dump.

Its a tweaked, solid engine that has been out for years, on a design with slightly different ergos and setup from the ninja or er6.

Just spend some time reading here, the UK forum, the advrider thread in beasts, and you will find a metric ton of folks supremely happy with their bike.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:41 AM

My Versys is the 17th bike I've bought in my years of riding (I currently have the 5 listed in my signature). I traded an 08 KLR650 for the Versys. The KLR just didn't fill the niche I thought it would. First ride I took on the KLR out to my place in the woods I thought to myself, 'I already have 2 bikes in the garage that do the same thing as this'. The DRs are better in the dirt than the KLR was and didn't lack for much on the street (top speed of course but not by much and I don't care about top speed on a dual purpose anyway). I can make the Versys a very adequate bike for maintained gravel roads I'll use it on but it will be much better on the pavement than the KLR.

I've only had the Versys for about a month but I can tell it will be a long term keeper for me!

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 AM

I have seen quite a few reasons; lay-offs, divorces, too tall, don't want a motorcycle after all and some people have just gotten the chance to get the bike they always wanted. I think most everyone here would tell you that it is a great bike and just want they want. As someone said earlier in the thread bikes aren't a necessity and it seems like many riders trade frequently. Seems to me like a lot of trouble...registration and all that crap.

I won't mention any names, but I even know someone that is on his second V, because he thought it was too tall, but after going back to a cruiser missed the V and traded for another V.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 AM

1. A lot of people bought one when gas was really expensive and expected to continue going up.. 53mpg for the versys is pretty tempting..
2. The economy sucks and people either need the money or no longer can afford the payments.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM

Reasons

For me, it's a matter of testing and trying to find the "right" bike. I don't know about the rest of you, but there are no shops around here that have demo bikes or allow much in the way of test rides. So, I research, read and try to buy based on that. Sometimes I get it wrong. I bought my curent bike (98 Honda Valkyrie) for two up riding. She wanted cruiser styling, and I wanted some power. Now she can't ride it, and it's not the bike for me to commute one, so it goes.

If all you can see in your mirrors is the direction you were previously traveling intermingled with sparks, and all you can hear is commotion from the passenger riding pillion; things are not at all as they should be.

The rear wheel is just a big fan used to keep the Rider cool and his butt relaxed. If in doubt... watch. When it locks up or slides out you can actually see the rider start sweating and pucker marks are left on the seat.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330i View Post
I just unloaded my 2007 Triumph Sprint ST and Im seriously considering adding a Versys to the stable. I do have some reservations about getting one mainly why are so many people selling 08 and 09's with such low milage? Seems like there are quite a bit of used ones available? Are people just generally not happy with the bike? Please put my concerns to rest so i can get back on 2 wheels

I remember when the ZRX came out in 99. Lots of people rushed to buy this bike, I think mainly driven by the emotion of seeing such a bike brought back. Over the next few years you could literally find dozens of them for sale as the original owners sold them for whatever reason. Then the true appreciators of this bike stepped in and swooped up an awesome bike at an even more awesome price usually with lots perks and extras. Try to find one now? There are hardly any for sale.

Same thing is happening with the V. The people in a position to buy these previosly owned Vees are getting a killer bike at a super (sometimes desparation) price with lots of goodies. So steal...er I mean buy this bike from one of these guys now. You'll be happy you did.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM

two or three ...four or five ???? That's not alot . Some folks are having job issues one or two will abandon ship over the seat or what ever. Thousands sold and a precious few for sale?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Economy,round here every kind,brand of bike you can name is being sold because people need cash.Lets face it for most people a motorcycle is a toy or RV,so when it gets bad the toys go first

AMA EAA STN
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 AM

I think you will find hooligan types who bought it and realized its not a powerhouse and are selling it for something faster? Seems to happen a lot with Ninja 650Rs, SV650S and other 650cc twins. It happens ALL THE TIME with the Ninja 250.

I have five bikes, if I had to sell the off due to economic issues this would be the order they would head out the door...

1) Ninja 250
2) CBR600F4i
3) SV650S
4) ST1300
5) Versys

Why would I keep the V? Because everyone in the house can ride it. Not so with the ST. If I were the only rider in the family then I would keep the ST1300.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 04-01-2009 at 10:47 AM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 AM

Hey E46330i,

I have six bikes and I'm having more fun on the Versys than anything I've owned for the past forty years. A guy I know has a multi-line dealership and can ride just about any kind of bike made and he rides a Versys.

I just sold a nice '08 ZX14 'cause it just sat, only put 3,000 miles on it this past summer. I sure don't see that happening on the Versys, I rode it over 800 miles last week just goofing off around here.

Don't know about the folks who are selling theirs but don't let that be a factor in you getting one........they're great bikes.

Dan
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Arrow

I'm waiting to see if I can get a used one for $4300 to $4500 next year. I will probably keep my current 13 year old Honda sport bike.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 PM

A year from now the 08's will be going for around there I'm sure. Gotta love depreciation!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 AM

At any one time, lots of types of bikes are for sale. Many with low mileage because people buy bikes and they either discover they don't like motorcycling or get scared or the economy reason. I would reckon the proportion of for sale Versys is no higher (in my mind I would be lower) than lets say R6's etc. Locally the most commonly sold bikes are Harleys. A lot of posers by these bikes for trophies and really don't ride them much. They
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 AM

Unhappy

althrough i love my versys , i do miss the thumping sound and vibes of my klr at times.
some how, the feeling of a 650cc single is very unique and its either you hate it or love it
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Just pull off a plug cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode