Trade V for Tuono... thoughts? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trade V for Tuono... thoughts?

I'm tossing around the idea of trading my V for a Tuono, specifically the 2005-2007. I've seen some for sale on the Aprilia forums for anywhere from 4500-6500, depending on mileage model and condition of the bike.

My V is a green 2009 with heated grips, vario windshield, 2 bros slip on, brand spankin new PR3's, givi v35's with quick release + mounts, throttle lock... I think that's it. It's in great shape, just under 10k and just had it's check up done.

Do you think it would be a good trade? Thoughts/opinions appreciated, I like to get other peoples viewpoints as sometimes things are brought up that I didn't think about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 PM

I almost sold my V for another bike. After much thought and many discussions with myself, reading on this forum about V owners regretting selling and buying another, I kept my Versys. It just plain fits me and my riding style.

Keep us posted!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
MTS

I almost sold my V for another bike! It was kind of a down sizing I thought would be good. After much thought and my ridin friend almost killing me I keep my V. I am now very glad I did.

Maybe some day but not today!

Always wanted a little dual 250 again but truth is not enough time to ride the V! So I must say! Life is good!

Good luck with your decision!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm, interesting question. While I love Aprilias I don't believe I'd trade my V for one. The V is much more of an all-rounder than the Tuono and that's significant to me. I guess I'm a bit too "mature" for the Tuono's boy racer ergonomics.

It's also very nice knowing wherever I might ride in most parts of the U.S. I won't be too very far from a Kawasaki dealer. I can't say the same for Aprilia, unfortunately. Still, if I could find a really good deal on an Aprilia I'd probably snap it up because there's a great Aprilia dealership not 10 miles from me (and they let me ride stuff just for the fun of it).

When I came across a bike last summer - 93 BMW K75S - that I've always liked, instead of trading my V, I simply added it to the fleet. Probably wasn't the wisest thing I could have done but my wife didn't object so I took advantage of the moment. They don't come very often.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went through a phase where i was going to sell or trade the V in for a list of bikes i was drooling over. But when it came time to sell the V i folded like a lawn chair. It does everything i want it to except hit warp speed.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
It does everything i want it to except hit warp speed.
Impulse engines only huh?!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Impulse engines only huh?!
Don't I remember weljo saying he had to eject his warp core??

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 PM

I think I'd stay with the V. The Aprilia can be a problem to find parts for at time a bit on the flaky side, so says a bud who had one. Plus the V is much more of a do it all bike. That was the reason I traded my Buell for my Versys. BUT if you want a bike the GREAT at one thing go for it.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
The Aprilia can be a problem to find parts for
There are no Aprillia dealers within 2 hours of me. Dealer support to the OP should be considered.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 PM

$.02

Sexy as anything, but not very comfortable even in the showroom, much less after a few miles down the road.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 AM

Keep the Versys, and put Tuono mirrors on it. Done-
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 AM

go out and rent a Tuono or other hot, fast, exciting hot rod for the weekend.

take it out with some fast guys for a ride Saturday morning.
And then, IF, you managed to have a lot of fun WITHOUT getting
a ticket, take the bike out on Sunday for a normal type of "V" Ride.

And do not forget to hit a few Forest Trails, plus a couple tight jeep trails
that you stumble upon.
That is unless you were ready to give up that type of riding since you preferred
what you did on Saturday.

If you can only have 1 bike, you prolly need to concentrate with 1 group of guys and 1 type of riding.

The V kinda does both, but just not with the eye-bleeding speed and braking that those "other type of bikes" do.
You will have more maintenance costs......and Jimmy the local County Mounty WILL catch you sooner or later.

Plus do not forget the BEFORE and the AFTER Insurance costs associated with the Tuono, plus the visit from Jimmy.

But damn......those bikes sure are fun
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 AM

+1 to renting. You didn't say why you're considering trading for a Tuono?
My husband and I have a rule: if what's in the garage doesn't put a smile on your face, it's time to trade.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:37 AM

the Tuono is an awesome bike but maybe too much power for my brain that would shrink down to the size of a green peas , and reliability of Aprilia may not be like Kawasaki , when i bought my 2012 V , i wanted a Ducati Monster but what it cost to ride a Ducati convinced me to let go of them , here in Canada they charge 5 times more to maintain then Japenese bike
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 AM

Former V owner redline currently has a Tuono (although he had a Ninja 1000 in between) and by all accounts loves it. He also lingered over my V the last time we got together, telling me how much he likes the way I have it set up.

Tuono means "thunder" which implies something quite different than "versatile system." They're different animals.

Ride what you like.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Well here's the deal with me...

I ride with the same group of people all the time. Their bikes are:
GSXR 600
FZ6r
k1200r
cbr 600
ninja 600

So, while I have no problem keeping up with them (they're not a-holes, they don't do 140+mph or weave through traffic), I do see them occasionally line up and do little running-start races on the highway and accelerate from traffic lights. The V is great, but it's also my first and only bike and leave me yearning for some speed. I don't go off-roading, strictly paved roads.

I'm also tall though, and have a back that aches quickly. I've been able to do 1200+ miles in a weekend on the V with the aid of some tylenol and came out feeling ok.

The Tuono seems like a fairly comfortable bike, with speed, and still retains the standard riding posture I've grown accustom to (not to the extreme of the V, but closer than most bikes).

I'm thinking I'll keep the V for another year or two, then think about it again and see if my outlook is still the same. It's probably best not to jump into something without thinking about it long and hard.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM

What I love about naked bikes is the wind, when it's hot you get air, plenty, and without any turbulance. When it's cold...well it's cold. The tuono is a great bike, just need to carry your lucky charm to keep your license for a season...

I just put my Versys up for sale, and I know some days I'll regret it (it's my 2nd Versys). But for now my plan is to keep the bike that makes me smile the most (MT-01) and when I go for some long distance touring I'll simply rent a K1600GT or something for the week, as I don't tour enough to justify keeping 2 bikes. And there's no way I'm selling the MT.

Last edited by Kawa007; 05-31-2013 at 03:34 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
And there's no way I'm selling the MT.
You have a gem there! Hang on to it! BTW, are they still making them for your market?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
You have a gem there! Hang on to it! BTW, are they still making them for your market?
They sold them from 2005 to 2009 in Canada and stopped selling them worldwide (europe, australia and I think Asia) in 2012. The only thing that could make me sell this bike is if Yamaha made a new version 100lbs lighter. I think practicality (with the exhausts, forget luggage options, unless you really don't mind ruining the looks) and weight is what kept sales of these so low, and price too, when it launched it was almost 20k. I need to order most aftermarket parts from Europe since it never made it to the states and Canada is such a small market (they probably sold a few hundreds here at best) not much can be found on this side of the pond. I found a 2007 last year with just 9000km and it looked like it just came out of the showroom, I put about 15000km on it since and to this day have never had (or even tried) a bike that made me smile so much, if you don't mind getting asked all the time if it's a new model or who's making these
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 AM

For what it's worth, I owned a 2007 Tuono... hands down the most disappointing bike I have owned in 25 years of riding. I sold it less than 18 months after buying it new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode