Kawasaki rear trunk - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawasaki rear trunk

Does anyone have the Kawasaki rear trunk? I'm wondering if it has a lock?
The Kawasaki website does not say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 AM

i know JC Whitney sells some real nice trunks, that come with a lock and are push button removeable, i had one on my r1150rt beemer, never had a problem with it and they are very affordable, i couldn't justify the bmw factory cost on theirs, like everything else it was overpriced, i will be getting on efor the V soon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 AM

Rear Trunk

Hi from UK
Here we call it a top box,I have the Kawa Hard Panniers which are made by Givi.I have fitted a Givi top box (not Kawa supplied),this is identical to the Kawa (pos except size mine is 37 ltrs) one which is sourced from Givi but Kawa badged I believe.
It uses the same retention /locking mech as the monolock Givi panniers,so yes ,the box is lockable as is the retention mech using same key
Hope that makes sense
see pics on www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/stuartbull1
Twohoots

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:38 AM

?lower seat?

Hi Twohoots; Looking at your photos I notice what looks like the optional lower gel seat. Is that it? How do you like the seat? I'm 5'11", 32" inseam and was wondering if the lower gel seat really does lower the seating position so I could get both feet down flat and still be comfortable. Please let me know. Thanks, Dorian
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Lower Seat

Hi Dorian
Yes thats correct ,it is the lower gel seat.It was supplied at point of sale as part of a FREE package last November comprising the seat,hard Kawa panniers and the Vario screen.
Unfortunately I have never used the std seat (still in my loft) so cant really compare,except I did decide that the std seat was prob a bit high when I took the demonstrator for a spin prior to purchase so I grabbed the offer.

I must say it fits me great, I am only 5'9 1/2 "(all important half inch) I can get both feet flat on the ground by stretching down in my boots, so can easily get both feet down safely.No probs so obviously OK .With your extra height you should be fine .

Hope that helps
Twohoots
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Gel seat

Thanks for the info Twohoots. I've never ridden a motorcycle before so I'm taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course run by the State of New Hampshire (USA) on the 13,14 &15 of next month and will be buying a Versys the following weekend. I have sat on a Versys and found it a little high with maybe an inch of air between the ground and both of my heels. With all of the conversations about seat hight and gel seats, and lowering kits I wanted to find out from someone who had the gel seat whether it worked as advertised and was comfortable as well. Your reply, as with all of the threads on this site have been most educational and valuable. Thanks, Dorian
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM

if you want to save some money, have the stock seat cut down, you can buy pieces of gel pad on ebay, cut the foam down, put the gel in and have it recovered. I've done it on 2 seats, no big deal really, and it's way cheaper than the $400.00 seat you can buy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM

That thought had also crossed my mind. I'm an Occupational Therapist, and have done several wheel chair seating systems and modifications, so taking an electric carving knife and shaping the foam would not scare me off.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the Kawasaki top box and mounting rack, but the box is on back order.
Not sure when it's going to be in. Can someone post a pic of how the top box mounts to the rack? I want to ride my Versys to the dealer to pick it up when it comes in... it would be nice to know what tools to bring.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:47 AM

I had one and sold it. My $.02 is get a JC. The quality is ok, but cost more. The plastic lock is ok and used to get stuck alot for me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:32 AM

Kawasaki Rear trunk

Hi Brock
You should find all you need here on the UK Versys site:- http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=2020.0

Pics,fitting instructions etc

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode