Motorcycle Locks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle Locks

I have never owned any type of bike lock, but I'm headed out for a multi-day ride and have been wondering if I need a lock for the bike at night. A disk lock seems smallest, easiest and lightest. Any thoughts, recommendations or comments would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 AM

A disc lock has one major drawback. It is so small, easy, and light that you forget it's there. This can cause some problems when you attempt to drive off with it still attached to the rotor...
Yep, learned that one the hard way. Even with a sticker between the guages reminding me not to be an idiot.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

I prefer the disc lock with the coiled wire reminder. Run it up to your handlebar -- hard to forget the disc-lock then. There's also a disc lock that has a motion sensor built-in. It alarms when the disc-lock is installed and the bike is moved. Can't find the link right now... searching. Here it is.

Last edited by acinonyx; 03-25-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added link for disc/alarm

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I have a disc lock that I haven't used much since I drove off with it still attached ONCE (about 30", then went over so quickly that I thought I'd been shot!), but I use a plastic covered cable, a "Brinks", which is 9/16" wide by about 5' long, with a loop at each end. I link it thru the rear wheel around a spoke, then back thru itself, over the seat and thru the opening on my full face helmet then padlock it to the subframe near the passenger footpeg. That way my helmet is safe too (I stopped trying to use the helmet lock under the seat as my helmet is a fight to attach!).
Ed
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
psc

Thumbs up XENA Disc Lock

I use a XENA disc lock www.xenasecurity.com

No, it doesn't have a coiled line tied to the handlebar or a big sticker as a reminder. It has something a LOT better than that. It has an incredibly loud alarm that's built in.

You'll never forget to disarm/remove it after the first episode. My first (ahem) test was in a motel parking lot, 5:00 AM. People from both sides of my room, the motel manager, his wife and the truckers sleeping in their rigs all came out in different stages of undress. Most of them thought that there was a fire alarm. I learned how to rapidly disarm/unlock this thing. I also bought a lot of rounds of coffee that morning.

Peter
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM

I use a "secure" disc-lock but it has such a wide opening and u-shackle that it can be put through the rear chain sprocket holes. It will be much harder to break off the bike than one locked onto a brake-disc as the discs can be snapped off I believe if you put enough force on them.
It also goes under the seat.
Ted.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psc View Post
I use a XENA dllisc lock www.xenasecurity.com

No, it doesn't have a coiled line tied to the handlebar or a big sticker as a reminder. It has something a LOT better than that. It has an incredibly loud alarm that's built in.

You'll never forget to disarm/remove it after the first episode. My first (ahem) test was in a motel parking lot, 5:00 AM. People from both sides of my room, the motel manager, his wife and the truckers sleeping in their rigs all came out in different stages of undress. Most of them thought that there was a fire alarm. I learned how to rapidly disarm/unlock this thing. I also bought a lot of rounds of coffee that morning.

Peter
On the web site it mentions that ALL AMA members get a 20% discount if they place a direct telephone order and give the operator their membership number.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, ttpete. I joined AMA for $39 and saved $40 by ordering two Xena locks -- one for each bike. They could even key both locks the same. Nice lock system and the AMA membership ended up free.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
I prefer the disc lock with the coiled wire reminder. Run it up to your handlebar -- hard to forget the disc-lock then. Here it is.
I do the same thing and have a ''Remove before flight'' red tag on the handle bar end of the coil (Yeah, I'm kind of slow, but better safe than sorry)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 AM

Exclamation

IMPORTANT DISK LOCK INSTALLATION TIP

I am using a disk lock and I did forget to remove it a few times.

While this can lead to a nasty fall, if your mount the disk lock under the brake caliper, the wheel Will only have a few inch of travel before the lock hits the caliper.

If you mount it above the front wheel, the wheel will almost have a full rotation before it stops the hard way.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 AM

I'm on a road trip just about every week and my bikes have been in many hotel parking lots and never had an issue. I just make sure I always lock the steering. But that's just me and my security comfort range.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 AM

Where do you usually park? I have debated whether it is better to leave it near the main entrance of the hotel or where I can see it from the room.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:29 AM

I stay in cheap motels and try and get a ground floor room, take the V in the room and we watch TV together.

If I can't bring it in, I carry a small light weight cover-has no real security at all, but out of site out of mind has worked so far.

I've been lucky in 15 years of touring round Western US & Canada, I have never had a problem with leaving my bike overnight or during the day for that matter.

I also carry a 6' heavy duty cable lock, but I mostly use this during the day to put through my helmet and bike jacket sleeve when I leave the bike to go to lunch or site seeing on foot. Sometimes I'll secure the V to a railing or lamppost with the cable, but a big pair of bolt cutters would get through it in 5 seconds. Its a deterrent to put the casual/lazy opportunist off and make him/her go for an easier target.

Machog

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 PM

It seems when a hotel allows you to park the bike right at the side of their entrance door, it may not get stolen as easy, but it seems to get looked more from the people going in and out. So I just try to get a regular parking spot near the entrance, or, a lot of times I just go to the room they give me, look out the window, and later move my bike to a spot that I can see it.

The good news is the V is not exactly a bike that is high on the list for being stolen.

I've heard a story of a cop that parked his Harley in front of the police station only to find it was gone when he came out. So, you can only do so much anyway.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

A buddy of mine has a disc lock with a cable up to the handle bar and one of these attached to the end:

Needless to say he never forgets to take it off. Potential thieves notice that its there too.

Steve
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
The good news is the V is not exactly a bike that is high on the list for being stolen.
I ride with some sportbikers from time to time, and this discussion comes up from time to time. That's the same consensus so far - you hear a LOT about sportbikes being stolen (almost every day on forums) and to date I haven't heard of one Versys being stolen.

The thieves probably look at it and say, "wtf is that? Next!"

However, I do not wish to be the first so I use the u-lock.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 PM

The May edition of Cruiser magazine has an article about thief prevention. They also have a good article about wind drag affecting gas mileage compared to a car.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:42 PM

++for Xena.

If you forget about the disc lock, the sensor kicks off and makes a enough noise to wake the next door neighbours.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 PM

I have never locked the bike with an additional lock, at hotels etc... I usually park it right outside my window. No problems thus far... that being said however...
I have had a friend (with a CBR sport bike) have his bike stolen... I guess sport bikes are in high demand.
However, I did order a disc lock just a few days ago. I more than likely will only be using it on overnight trips. I also ordered the slinky cord that runs up to the handlebars.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM

Where I park my scooter at work I always put a cover over it (as Machog said, "out of sight, out of mind"), and the cover locks on with a Bulldog U-bolt lock through the front wheel. The scooter has plenty of storage and the lock fits under the seat. Since in order to remove the cover I have to unbolt the lock, I've not forgotten it and ridden away. Sure, it takes a little extra time, but if you do it every time it becomes routine.

I've heard that steering column locks can be overcome with force.

Also, I used to carry a Lever Lock ... locks the front clutch to the handlebar so it can't be operated. I've used it on another bike. Pretty small and again it's right there so you can't operate the bike without removing it. That's what scares me about those small disc locks - they're so easy to miss or forget about, and it can mess up your bike.

Also, although it seems safe and easy, I'd not recommend parking a motorcycle inside a hotel room. All sorts of fire codes being violated when you do that.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode