Best headlight modulator? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best headlight modulator?

I want to put a headlight modulator on my bike, which one is the best and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:09 AM

Kisan, plug and play. I have had them on seven bikes and never any problems.
Bob
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 AM

This one looks like a pain to install, but it's supposed to do lots of really cool stuff.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 AM

I read a review of this one that was pretty good...http://www.bikerbuddy.net/

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM

I am using this one: http://www.comagination.com. It is also plug and play and you can add a brake light modulator (NOT plug and play) as part of a combo deal from them for about $85 for both.

Comagination on webBikeWorld here

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

Last edited by AAParatrooper; 03-25-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Added link for webBikeWorld Review
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM

Does it shorten the life of the headlight bulbs?
Ted.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99uk View Post
Does it shorten the life of the headlight bulbs?
Ted.
This from the Comagination website:

Q. Will the headlight modulator shorten my bulb's life?
A. In our many years of experience no. The bulb's life will remain about the same. There are no known reports of premature bulb failure we could find. If you believe this is still a concern then consider this: a typical replacement halogen bulb costs about $8. Given the bulb's normal operating life is 4 years then the dollar cost over the life of the bulb is $8 / 4(yrs) = $2(per yr). Now let us assume that modulating will shorten the life by 25% (fictitious), then the extra total loss over the bulb life would be $2(per 4 years). That's CHEAP insurance to avoid a head-on accident and the high medical bills if you survive.

I will add that this is the second bike I've had one on and I haven't (knock on wood) lost a bulb yet. IMO, a shorter bulb life would be well worth it anyway as these things really do seem to work (another opinion).

Lastly, to each his/her own, but I do try to practice some courtesy by not letting it modulate when I follow a vehicle for long distances or while stopped at intersections except as road conditions require.

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM

I find that some headlight modulators modulate at such a slow, steady rate, it can appear to oncoming cars that you are manually flashing your high beams to indicate that you are letting them make a left turn in front of you. This could be really dangerous if you're not expecting it. Does anyone know if any of the above-mentioned headlight modulators (or any others) flash very fast, and possibly in a random pattern? IMO, this would be the safest and most effective headlight modulator.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
I find that some headlight modulators modulate at such a slow, steady rate, it can appear to oncoming cars that you are manually flashing your high beams to indicate that you are letting them make a left turn in front of you. This could be really dangerous if you're not expecting it. Does anyone know if any of the above-mentioned headlight modulators (or any others) flash very fast, and possibly in a random pattern? IMO, this would be the safest and most effective headlight modulator.
More according to Comagination:

A solid-state safety device that you simply plug in between the back of your headlight bulb and its power connector. A headlight modulator increases your daytime visibility dramatically by modulating your headlight between 18 to 100% brightness at about 4 times per second.

If you read this and my math is right, that means that the modulator from Comagination modulates at or about the legal limit. There is, however, no random pattern which I would GUESS would be illegal anyway.

In my own experience, nobody has ever mistaken the modulation of my light to mean they may go. More often than not, I get the deer in the headlight look (no pun intended) as I pass by. I've even had a few people stop me to tell me that my light is broken.

And I don't work for these people. I am just satisfied with the product and if you have any questions they are very nice people. Additionally, I had my modulator in the mail about 3 days after I placed the order.

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

Last edited by AAParatrooper; 03-25-2009 at 02:21 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM

AAParatrooper:

From the article on webbikeworld, it looks to me that ALL modulators are required to modulate at a rate of 240 + or - 40 cycles per minutes (which is about 4 per second). And because these are cycles, it should be going from low intensity to high intensity 4 times per second (as opposed to just changing from high to low 4 times per second which would be two cycles). I'm surprised at this because I swear I've seen headlight modulators that are going at half that rate.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Is this installed on your low beam or high beam?
If installed on high beam, then you would have the low beam on constant and the high beam modulating?

Is it valid/legal to install it on your low-beam?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 PM

I don't think it is legal for the light to turn on and off (hence the modulation) as that is considered a strobe which cannot be used on a headlight. I am also pretty sure you have to modulate your low beam and only during daylight.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
This one looks like a pain to install, but it's supposed to do lots of really cool stuff.
so this is the one I have and I don't like it, it wasn't too bad to install but it is not fast enough in my opinion... and my sensor doesn't work so it is constantly on (its a good thing I have it going through my driving lights or whatever they're called...) anyway I think I'm going to buy two of these and put them into where the driving lights are...
(that would mean I'm not going to be using this one, I'm going to send it back to get a new one cause the sensor, I doubt they will give me my money back but I'll have one if anybody wants it...)

http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-v...super-led.html

I think in the long run they will last, they will definitely stand out and you can do so much with them...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks for that perspective! I think I'll go with the bikerbuddy.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I am also pretty sure you have to modulate your low beam and only during daylight.
It is legal to modulate either high or low beams. The sensor on it prevents modulation during hours or darkness, but I don't know why anyone would want to do that anyway.

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 PM

I've had the Signal Dynamics modulator on my bike for a few years now (first a Vulcan and now the V) and I love it. Very easy install with great instructions. It has a light sensor so it automatically turns to steady burn at night. It modulates both high and low beam (you switch the beam like normal) or you can turn it on and off with the horn. It's been very reliable. And best of all - since I put it on I haven't had one car pull out in front of me. Before I'd get 6 - 7 a year.

I also got their brake light flasher and that gets people's attention as well.

I really recommend the Signal Dynamics (no they don't pay me to say this. But if there's anyone from SD reading this that would like to make an offer ...

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post
I've had the Signal Dynamics modulator on my bike for a few years now (first a Vulcan and now the V) and I love it. Very easy install with great instructions. It has a light sensor so it automatically turns to steady burn at night. It modulates both high and low beam (you switch the beam like normal) or you can turn it on and off with the horn. It's been very reliable. And best of all - since I put it on I haven't had one car pull out in front of me. Before I'd get 6 - 7 a year.

I really recommend the Signal Dynamics (no they don't pay me to say this. But if there's anyone from SD reading this that would like to make an offer ...
how fast does it flash?

08 Versys 32+k and counting

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Signal Dynamics modulator placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post

Where did you locate the modulator to the motorcycle on your V. Any pics?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 PM

I ended up buying the http://www.comagination.com headlight and brake light modulators. The headlight modulator is a piece of cake to install and the customer service was very good. The brake light modulator would normally require cutting one of the wires, but I used it to modulate an LED brake light that I added to the top rack so that tall vehicles could see my brake light. That allowed me to not cut any of the stock wires.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I ended up buying the http://www.comagination.com headlight and brake light modulators. The headlight modulator is a piece of cake to install and the customer service was very good. The brake light modulator would normally require cutting one of the wires, but I used it to modulate an LED brake light that I added to the top rack so that tall vehicles could see my brake light. That allowed me to not cut any of the stock wires.
It appears that the correct headlight modulator is model # sS75H4. The headlight appears to be 55W. Is this what you purchased? From the description, it resides in the headlight housing. Correct? Can you turn the modulator off during the day (for example if you are stopped at a stop light behind a car)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode