Please let us know if you are posting huge pics! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Please let us know if you are posting huge pics!

Man, I clicked on Borica's post about the deer and the photos were freakin huge and eating up my broadband limit.

Most of us can only view 640x480 on the computer and once your huge photos load they get resized unless you click on them.

Maybe some folks want you HUGE photos to save to their computers, but please warn us in the title.

Not everyone lives in the big city where we have unlimited internet for pennies a month. LOL!

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Man, I thought the days of posting "56K Warning" in thread titles were long gone!

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Click one on a Smartphone and you'll die of old age and it'll still never load.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Sorry dude. Ill resize next time. Im spoiled with lots of bandwidth @ home and on the road. I forgot about the good old slow days

Sorry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM

I try to keep em 1024X768 max or better yet 800X600, especially for multiples.

Good to remind folks about all the mobile browsers which take a long time to load.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Man, I thought the days of posting "56K Warning" in thread titles were long gone!
Some of us country folk don't have many options, and fast, unlimited internet cost 4 times what it cost when I lived in a small city. LOL!

Not to mention the smartphones.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Some of us country folk don't have many options, and fast, unlimited internet cost 4 times what it cost when I lived in a small city. LOL!

Not to mention the smartphones.
That's nuts. The US certainly has a lot of catching up to do compared to some other countries. In the meantime, I'll try and re-size my pics correctly.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
That's nuts. The US certainly has a lot of catching up to do compared to some other countries. In the meantime, I'll try and re-size my pics correctly.
actually....that IS NOT nuts.

cost to lay those new cables is expensive, very expensive.

Some small towns are a long way away from bigger cities.
AND THEN there are those of us that live out a good bit away from these smaller towns too.

Running "the good stuff" miles and miles and miles down a single road in order to possible pick up a few customers just is not cost effective to the providers.
Now....IF the govt ran these utilities, ALL OF US would have them, but they would cost everyone 3 times as much!

Shoot, in my case the phone company would lay the cable to my home, but they would not pay to dig the trench. So, 3500 bucks stayed in my pocket.
And that was FOR ANY CABLE as the newly built 5 years ago and no utilities existed there before. Now why the builder did not lay Phone Cable with the Electric you ask----Well, he was a Honcho with Verizon so he had a Cell Tower built 4 miles away in direct line of sight. Seriously!

Hey, all a guy really needs is:
SEPTIC
POWER
Satellite
Three Car Garage to house his motorbikes

So, we make do, but huge files just lock up the computer, unless I am sitting in the library, or McDonalds
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM

In a couple of weeks I am giving up my smartphone and all the glory that it brings. Going back to a stupidphone and saving over $100 a month. Just have to take the tab' or laptop to libraries, McDonalds, Starbucks.......local coffee shops with $4.00 muffins! Where I live way up on a mountain and back in the woods the only internet other than phone is with the cable TV company.....at over $100 a month! I'm a musician and work a lot with online forums, Bandcamp and SoundCloud so this is going to be a difficult downsize for me.

Seriously, maybe the forum powers that be could add a small indication with the photos that say what size they are. Or maybe some kind of feature that resizes down the large photos to a set standard size.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM

I was wondering why those pics weren't loading on my phone!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM

Incoming................

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Incoming................

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
In my case there is actually cable across the street. It is the end of the line. I called the cable company and they sent a guy out who said they can only run cable 300 feet and have to follow the electric lines. Bummer.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
"Please let us know if you are posting huge pics!"

How do you suggest letting you know?
I think it's more for people posting topics with a large number of pictures i.e. a trip thread or photo DIY repair thread. A simple warning in the thread can help people avoid that I guess, although they do miss out on the content.

Best solution is to have reasonably re-sized pictures.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I think it's more for people posting topics with a large number of pictures i.e. a trip thread or photo DIY repair thread. A simple warning in the thread can help people avoid that I guess, although they do miss out on the content.

Best solution is to have reasonably re-sized pictures.
It is not necessarilly the number of photos, it is the size. Most photos 640x480 can be seen well on a computer screen and aren't huge. The modern digital cameras with the 16MP images are way bigger than anyone needs unless you are printing posters or cropping parts of the photo out.

SEEYA, just put a warning in the title. Then I will click on the thread when I am at a public wifi spot.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 AM

i am a cable repair for a phone company in Canada and the solution is simple Fiber Optic cable , its not that expansive and its lightning fast but it take time to install that technology but it will get there here in canada they know that if they don't do it the cable company will do it , so its a big project worth the while
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Garage
That's the problem with low population density country like Canada or USA, it's quite expensive to install those infrastructure form one end of the country to the other

Unlike Europe form instance, where the pop. density is very high, not to mention Asia where it sky high, the cost are less

Have backyard space, have to pay for it !!!

LOP
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Man, I clicked on Borica's post about the deer and the photos were freakin huge and eating up my broadband limit.

Most of us can only view 640x480 on the computer and once your huge photos load they get resized unless you click on them.

Maybe some folks want you HUGE photos to save to their computers, but please warn us in the title.

Not everyone lives in the big city where we have unlimited internet for pennies a month. LOL!
How about when we copy the image code to embed a picture?

Sample:

Motorcycle Maniac

2009 Versys, 2009 DL650, 2013 CB500X ABS
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
How about when we copy the image code to embed a picture?
I don't know about imbedding a photo But...ME LIKEY THEM WHEELS!!!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM

Best investment I made . . . Woodys sealed tubeless 19" X 17" spokes:

Motorcycle Maniac

2009 Versys, 2009 DL650, 2013 CB500X ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode