ATGATT and why you should not hunt deer in a motorcycle - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ATGATT and why you should not hunt deer in a motorcycle

Riding on the second day of a holiday weekend tour through the south central part of CO. So far I'm having a great time. I seeing a lot of really outstanding scenery and riding on some of the most spectacular roads in the Rocky Mountains. Then it happened. Riding out of the town of south fork going south on Hwy 160. I see a group of mule deer by the side of the road. As usual I slowdown and make a lot noise to call their attention. I cover the break with my hand in case one of them go for it. I see one of them moving in the direction behind me. I think, ok I missed that one. When the stupid animal make a sharp turn right in front of me. I see the deer in the eyes about 10 feet ahead of me. Too late for anything. Then everything went black.

Next thing I see when I open my eyes in another rider asking me if I am ok and asking me not to move. I must have been unconscious for few minutes. The first thing I do is wiggle my fingers and wiggle my toes. I'm fine I think. Then I ask the guy. Is the deer dead? If its not please someone give me a gun to finish it. Witness account say the deer jump on me and I carry the thing 30 to 50 feet before I went down. Yes, the freaking thing landed on top of the bike on my face and chest. I have deer hair in my helmet breathing vent, under the visor and attached to the Velcro of my jacket on the upper chest. I'm happy to say that other than a scratch on one arm and a few bruises I'm fine. Still sore all over though. The gear did its job. It saved the day. After a few hours in the hospital making sure nothing inside me was broken I walked away of this one. After checking my gear I wonder how bad would have been without it.

My favorite. Deer hair on my face

The bike before the accident. Not a Versys though.

After. The front is been held over by a strap.

ATGATT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM

Holy crap! That's a crazy story - I'm SO glad you're ok! Bambi not so good, I gather? Sorry about your new Triumph, that's a shame. Insurance is a wonderful thing!

Can I tell my MSF students about your "deer hunting" experience? I'm a huge proponent of ATGATT and try to instill said belief in new riders.

Whew! Again, glad you're ok. Thank the Lord for that!

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero

Last edited by Dsauer; 05-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Oh my gosh!!! I am so glad to hear you are okay - probably stiff and sore after that kind of impact I'm sure!! Those pictures of your gear with the deer hair in the chest velcro on your jacket and helmet are CRAZY!! Wow, you are unfortunate but very lucky at the same time. Thats my biggest fear-coming across wildlife on my bike as they are so unpredictable. Thanks for sharing your story and affirming my belief in ATGATT. Hope you and your bike heal fast!!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM

Glad you are OK. The bike will buff right out

I just saw a new way of putting ATGATT, Dress for the slide not the ride. And am glad you did.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsauer View Post
Holy crap! That's a crazy story - I'm SO glad you're ok! Bambi not so good, I gather? Sorry about your new Triumph, that's a shame. Insurance is a wonderful thing!

Can I tell my MSF students about your "deer hunting" experience? I'm a huge proponent of ATGATT and try to instill said belief in new riders.

Whew! Again, glad you're ok. Thank the Lord for that!
For msf training, You can quote me and use the pictures. Let me know if theres anything else you need.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Glad your okay. Everything else can be replaced.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM

Unfortunate for you but a happy outcome! Thanks for sharing & speedy healing!

Glad to hear the gear did its job. The older I get, the more and better gear I wear.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 PM

Congratulations on your recent survival.

Sometimes I feel funny wearing all of my gear on a hot day, when I see a lot riders in shorts, tee shirts and no helmet.

This is a good reminder, stay the course.

Larry
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Garage
Wow! Glad your OK. Can only imagine the effects of that crash on a rider from the t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops crowd!

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Wow! Glad your OK. Can only imagine the effects of that crash on a rider from the t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops crowd!
Guess you would have deer hair between your teeth as well a some road rash all over!
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Holy Cow! Great war story though... that's for sure! Glad you're OK.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 PM

Great story.... You just prompted me to check with my insurer to see if all my riding gear is covered.... IMHO it should be.

[email protected]
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
MTS

Glad you are ok! Heal fast!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 AM

Amazing story! Glad you are okay.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 AM

You may use my phrase, "Stupid Deer!" I guess the animal had seen enough bikes going by and decided, "Today's the day, i'm going for a ride!" The first beautiful blue bike he saw, he climbed aboard.

Glad you're alright. Years from now, you'll be sitting with grand kids gathered round telling them the story about the one that DIDN'T get away. "Little Bobby, did I ever tell you 'bout the time . . . .?" "Yes, Grandpa . . . you've told us a hundred times!" "Well sit still, cause here comes one hundred AND one!"
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Glad to hear the gear did its job. The older I get, the more and better gear I wear.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Wow, glad your ok. Now we can laugh about the hunks of deer hair stuck in the your helmet. Priceless. Just leave them there, you have to get a new helmet anyway..
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Crazy!
Glad you're OK.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Glad you're okay and that's one hell of a story! Bikes and gear can be replaced. Good luck getting everything handled and hope you're back on the road soon.

Also thanks for reinforcing my decision for ATGATT. Just yesterday I was thinking how nice it would be to just throw on a t-shirt and shorts like everyone else I see. Don't feel that way now. I like "dress for the slide not for the ride."

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Things are actually turning out much better than anticipated. Insurer ordered transportation over 200 miles from the place of the accident to the nearest dealer so the repairs can be done by an factory authorized tech. Triumph have a two year warranty on the bike and the insurance agreed Triumph need to do the repairs to maintain warranty. Im getting all the gear replaced and the insurer us waiving the $1K deductible due to perfect driving record and no claims in five years. Meeting Flo will be the icing on the cake :-)

I might get the bike back before the riding season is over. Hope parts do not take long to get here. They might be coming from the other side of the pond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode