Starting an "epic" journey...! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Starting an "epic" journey...!

My youngest son owns my OLD '79 Yamaha SR500, a very low mileage bike (26,000 kms or 16,120 miles during the last 35 years).

It had been left here in BC when he moved to Quebec, but now it was time for him to come and get it, and ride back, a distance of 4204 kms (2606 miles) according to MapQuest.

A friend and I gave it a 'tune-up' - new coil (from England!), spark-plug, clutch adjust (cable oiled, TOO), brakes bled, brake pads 'roughed-up', K&N filter cleaned; then when Joey flew in Friday, he and I got onto doing the rest: oil and filter change including the TWO oil-strainer screens on the SR; fork-oil change, plus a few small maintenance items we noticed, finishing about 4PM yesterday. HE did the work, while I "oversaw" it, offering hints at times... as well as tools!

This morning when I pulled into the garage from attending Mass, at 9:35, he was putting the finishing touches to strapping his gear on (he'll camp across Canada).

We left together, me 'overseeing' him and the SR for the first 50 kms or so, waving "Goodbye" near the local ski-hill, then riding back home. Tomorrow I ride to Castlegar to 'link-up' with him, then over two days we'll ride to where we used to live in Alberta - Didsbury - then we split. He to visit family, then head east for the rest of his trip, while I stay a few days to hunt gophers before coming back to Kelowna to ready the GREEN HORNET for my trip to Dawson City for D2D 14th June.

Wish him luck, friends!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00152 copy.jpg (39.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00166 copy.jpg (94.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00167 copy.jpg (71.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00168 copy.jpg (78.6 KB, 137 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
best of luck to both of you-
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM

I'm sure he'll do fine... Given the tutor he's had.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Have a safe and fun trip to both of you.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 PM

Have a great trip!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:26 PM

What a great story! Your old ride still runnin' and passing it along your boy!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM
MTS

Awesome!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 AM

Sounds like a great time, have a great ride! I wish i could take off for a cross country ride too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 AM

Garage
That's pretty awesome. It'd be great to see a ride report when he's done!

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I'm sure he'll do fine... Given the tutor he's had.
Gee -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
That's pretty awesome. It'd be great to see a ride report when he's done!
I'll see IF I can convince him to do one....

Talked w/ him this AM - he had a good ride, dry, while when I turned around I rode in rain to my home. Forecasts are ALL showing rain, so when I leave at noon, I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing rain-gear.

Oh well....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Just got back from MY part of Joey's ride - one week, 1,960 kms, raingear on LOTS. I figure he's somewhere in Ontario, north of Superior right now....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Other than to shower... How was the ride? Hope it went smooth and he's well on his way.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:54 PM

I knew a guy that had one of those..

It had a "compression release" lever on the handle bars so it was easier to
kick. (His was kick only-don't know if they ever had e-start.) Cool bike.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"Epic journey" from MY perspective...!

My son Joey left Kelowna on Sunday, 26 May, I left Monday the 27th to meet him at one of his buddies' homes near Castlegar, BC, fully 'rain-geared' up. Rode in rain for the four hours, then a nice visit with his friends, and away next morning, via Nelson to catch the Balfour ferry across the Kootenay Lake to Grey Creek, then south on Hwy 3A (VERY nice road on a bike...) to the Crowsnest Pass Hwy 3 E. The day started REASONABLY sunny (for BC...), but we were heading to Fernie (met my wife there, skiing, on the run showing BELOW the traffic light in the 5th picture, a rather steep one ) and got back into rain-gear around the half-way mark.

Joey planned us to camp just AFTER the ski hill in a Provincial Campground, and I was quite happy that the "gulley-washer" we were in, ended JUST as we passed the mountain. I headed into town for supplies ('smokies' and beers) while he put up the tent. Expecting more rain I kept the gear on, but it didn't start again so OFF it came and we enjoyed a 'smokie', a beer, and a smokey campfire.

Next morning, cloudy, but NOT raining, so we broke camp and headed to Fernie for coffee and an egg McMuffin. On the road again, shortly we entered Alberta, gassed-up for way LESS than in BC, and stopped for a photo-op at the "Burmis tree", a dead Limber-pine that has been the focus of artists and photographers for probably OVER 80 years! That's it between Joey and the GREEN HORNET in picture 6. Shortly after we turned north onto Hwy 22, the Cowboy Trail, and ultimately, Calgary by the back-door, we stopped to photograph the thunderstorm (pic 7) that I earlier posted had hailed on us extensively for a few minutes.

In Calgary we stopped at a Yamaha dealer, probably the one that originally sold the SR500 Joey is riding , took a picture (last picture) then said our good-byes, as he visited his sister and other friends, and I rode north to "battle" Alberta's gophers.

I got an e-mail from Joey on the 3rd, stating that:

"Trip too tight ... Feels like a chore!
Oh well... Alive and past thunder bat
More another time. Too rushed"

and I assume by 'thunder bat' he means Thunder Bay, Ontario....
Hopefully he'll post up some of HIS comments once the trip finishes (today...?). Thanks for following my 'wanderings' here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00172 copy.jpg (50.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00181 copy.jpg (49.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00186 copy.jpg (73.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00188 copy.jpg (132.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00193 copy.jpg (60.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00195 copy.jpg (67.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00198 copy.jpg (72.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00199 copy.jpg (75.2 KB, 34 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode