New Lights for Safety to Arrive Soon!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Lights for Safety to Arrive Soon!!!

Because of all the fool cagers that drive in and around Houston, I've added a new ensemble of safety lights to my bike upcoming accessories. Last Friday I ordered a pair of White Whelen Vertex Super LED's for the front sides of my bike. I'm going to have one on each fairing facing forward.

Also, ordered a pair of Oberon BAr End LED Turn Signals REALLY COOL!!!

ALSO, ordered a pair of the Hyper-Lites Rear Flashing Brake Only LED's!

I'll post pic's soon!!!!!!!

My Titan & Versys Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Rubicon Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Duty Website:

20,000+ Versys miles and loving every one!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 AM

Hi Willie, been thinking some lights as well for me V would be a good thing, pic's would be cool to look at when you are done, have seen some other threads with lights added
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Will post pic's soon....Can't wait for them to get here.....

Adding the White Whelen Vertex LED's...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uVFHrkuRw . ...I got the black trim ring for each to surface mount in the fairings on each side near the front mounting bolt holes. One on each side that will be synchronized to flash once, back and forth from one side to the other.

The Oberon bar mounted turn signals are made in Europe, but are SUPER cool... See pic's and video:
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...d-Weights.html They light up from the front and the rear. I ordered them with a 17mm collet. It looks like I'm gonna have to remove the OEM insert for the OEM end weights to make them work.

The HyperLites Flashing Brake Only 16 LED pods are a great idea as well. Should get ALOT of attention to supplement the OEM taillight.
See the video... http://hyperlites.com/stdbo.html They flash for 3-4 seconds, then stay constant.

I'll try to post video and any mounting tips when finished.

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

Last edited by WillieFlo; 03-23-2009 at 12:03 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Don't forget to post an update once installed! thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 PM

Yo Willie...please post pictures of your bike! I too a peak on your Titan & Versys sight. Im sure other would love to see it!

Last edited by oscar.45; 03-23-2009 at 08:56 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Cool. I think those turns signals would blind me, but I might order some for my brother. He sometimes forgets to turn his blinker off. Don't know how he could miss it with those installed.

Word of warning, though: Don't slip into the thinking that the lights will ensure everyone sees you. Make sure you keep up the defensive driving. Remember your old friend, SIPDE.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieFlo View Post
Adding the White Whelen Vertex LED's...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uVFHrkuRw . ...I got the black trim ring for each to surface mount in the fairings on each side near the front mounting bolt holes. One on each side that will be synchronized to flash once, back and forth from one side to the other.
I'm ticked, I installed a stupid modulator that flashes really slow (for $75) I think I am going to order these and place them where the two small day/driving lights go... anyway thanks for the info.

08 Versys 32+k and counting

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Oscar .45,
Here's a Pre-light mods photo of my bike:

Here's a pic of what I carry it in when needed.

Thanks for the compliment Oscar .45!

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:23 PM

Your V looks great. I scrolled down expecting the "after" shot and found your truck.

(Whoa, dude, those lights you added make your bike look HUGE!)

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Thanks Willie. It's nice to see how people make the V their own. With those black rims and stripe you have a one-of-a-kind bike.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Oscar.......Love my V!

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM

Light up the rider too!

Not to disparage lighting up the ride, but stats
prove that making the RIDER more visible is way
more effective at ensuring the cages avoid you.

Be sure to enhance your own personal visibility
in any way you can.

Beautiful job on the bike, BTW. Bob tail, black
highlights, red rims and that cool tank graphic.
I like that.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM

I go for lighting up everything...me and it!!! Installed a headlight modultor today http://cid-b8e84c6bbce8f689.skydrive...VI%7C_1744.avi . I have a brake light modulator to install soon.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 03-31-2009 at 04:27 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:42 PM

Went out for a test ride with the headlight modulator and a girl pulled over and looked at me like I was riding without any pants. Then I stopped at a light some clown kept flashing his lights at me. Are you supposed to turn them off at lights?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM

Went out for a test ride with the headlight modulator and a girl pulled over and looked at me like I was riding without any pants. Then I stopped at a light some clown kept flashing his lights at me. Are you supposed to turn them off at lights?
Today 05:18 PM

I have a headlight modulator (and brake lights) and a lot of people flash their lights or yell "Your lights have a short". I figure that if they're flashing/shouting at me - they see me. That's the idea. The only time I turn mine off is when I'm riding in the middle of a group of bikes and I don't want to annoy the rider in front of me. Otherwise I leave 'em on.

Adding the White Whelen Vertex LED's. One on each side that will be synchronized to flash once, back and forth from one side to the other.

Please check the laws in your state. I know in CT modluated headlights are legal, but flashing stobes that alternate one side to another are illegal except for police or fire.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
AvaChava,
I thought of putting a white flashing LED on my helmet too, but rethought that and decided against.... I've seen guys with those super bright yellow jackets around town, but I don't like looking like a rolling traffic sign. If they don't see my Bright Red & Black Joe Rocket jacket(wear every time), they wouldn't see it anyway.

Docteric,
Asked my brother-in-law who's a Tx Dept of Public Safety Trooper Sarge and he said a SLOW flashing LED isn't illegal on front as long as it wasn't Red/Blue/ or Orange. I'm adding a switch to them so I can turn them on when I'm on the freeway or in rush hour traffic during the day while entering or exiting the High Occupancy Vehicle lane. They allow motos for commute as well. The Houston freeways are full of a bunch of idiots!

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I'll post videos soon. I installed the Hyper-Lites flashing brake pods last weekend and they are SUPER bright and flash rapidly.....REALLY get people's attention.
I'll be adding the bar-end turn signals and the white Whelen LED's this weekend.
Should be able to post videos on Monday night. Stay tuned.

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

OK,
All the lights have now been installed and video is available on Google video from the link below:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-789480172193472276&hl=en

Let me know what you think. Just to give you some idea of how bright the White Whelen LED flashers are in front......The headlight is a SilverStar Ultra with wide pattern LEDs in the running lights.

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

Last edited by WillieFlo; 04-19-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode