Gel seat cost - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gel seat cost

Have a question for you all on the cost of a Kaw gel seat. I just talked to the local dealer for a price on a gel seat and was quoted $499.00. Is this right? Thats outrageous! Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansom Bob View Post
Have a question for you all on the cost of a Kaw gel seat. I just talked to the local dealer for a price on a gel seat and was quoted $499.00. Is this right? Thats outrageous! Mike
That is the correct price from the dealer... it's a lot I know...
if you're really interested in the Kawi gel seat, check EBay, you can find them a bit cheaper there...
or you may just wanna search through the forum. a lot of people, myself included have found other much cheaper ways to mod the seat to our liking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM

That's MSRP. I saw some listed for around $450. I don't think it's worth it. I just purchased a gently used one for $250 and put about 150 miles on it today. It starts out rock hard, and only softens slightly as the ride goes on. It did lower things to where I went from tiptoes to the balls of my feet. I'm going to go on a longer ride tomorrow with the stock seat to try and get a better comparison.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansom Bob View Post
Hansom Bob,I have one forsale, drop me a email for details if you are interested!

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Whoa! Shop around!
I visited an upholstery shop yesterday. I had used this shop maybe 10 years ago and gotten good service.
I told him the V seat was sliding me too far forward and invited him to sit and see for himself.
He sat down, got up from the bike, went to his backroom and returned a minute later with a gel pad.
He said he could sculp foam from the back, build up the front, form fit the gel, and re-stich the seat. $85 for the gel pad, $50 bucks labor. $135 total.

I'm going back to have it done tomorrow. Could only take a day. I'll report back, but knowing him as I do, it'll be a great job.
Shop around! Don't skip the little shops, either!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 PM

I have to agree that the cost of the Kaw. gel seat is absurd. You can get a fully custom seat for that, and it will be better. Max Buffet post is an excellent option, also. Is that Kawasaki seat made of gold?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 AM

Sargents makes custom request seats .I've had VERY good luck with them in the past.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 PM

I had a Russel Day Long about two bikes ago, and I can still weep when I remember how comfortable it was.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 PM

I'm on my second attempt having a custom seat made, this time I'm going with gel.

I've got an extra stock one that's in perfect shape that I've decided not to use. If anyone needs one to fool with and keep their stock one just let me know and I'll sell it.

I'll post a picture next week when my latest one gets done.

Dan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Went about 250 miles on the stocker today, came home with my usual sore butt. I don't think anyone makes a suitable seat for a 5'9" 190lb guy with no ass at all whatsoever. The stock seat is definitely softer than the gel seat. It is easier to move around on if you like to do that for comfort reasons. (I do) Of course, that ease translates into eventual monkey butt and the occasional frontal wedgie. I noticed neither of those on the gel seat after yesterday's 150 miles. Just a bruised butt bone. The seat doesn't really let you move around much. I'll have to do a longer distance test and see how that goes.
I kinda wish they make seats like they did decades ago, straight soft pillowey and not so wide. I kinda wish they'd bring back that rich corinthian leather for cars too.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, all my older cars had rich corinthian leather...

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info from everyone. I think I'll get a second stock seat and taylor it to my needs. I don't know how much I will do long touring on this bike because I have a HD Ultra glide that burns up mileage with the cruise control and the cd playing. But I hate this bike around town or short trips through canyons, and the V is so good for this kind of travel. Mike
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Hey Bob,

I'll take $100 + shipping if you want a stock seat to modify.

Dan
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Hey Dan , Does Kawasaki know about the "reverse wedgy" seat issue ?????
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dan, I'll keep that in mind. Not sure what I want to do if anything at the moment.

Mike
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM

Sammy,

I've mentioned it enough times ! :-)

I should have new one this Wednesday. Hope it works 'cause I got a 1,000+ mile week-end coming up Fri, Sat & Sun.
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode