Givi Side case rack and Corbin seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Side case rack and Corbin seat

Need some advice...I have and love my Corbin seat and just purchased side cases. I chose the GIVI racks because - in the picture - they seemed to fit more forward and closer than the SW Motech (and they were cheaper). I don't want a top case mount. The GIVI brackets mount under the rear of the seat and stick up alongside of the seat, inboard of the grab handles. They fit fine with the stock seat but the Corbin, being a bit wider in the back, won't fit between the brackets. Has anyone encountered this unfortunate situation and invented a solution? For the moment I have left off the top brackets (the racks are still bolted to the bike in 3 places) and just zip tied the top to the grab rail but it looks dumb and really probably won't work with a full load or long use.

Assuming I may need to switch to the SW Motech brackets can anyone offer an opinion on whether they will work with a wider seat?

Hate to have to start over...the GIVI set up is nice. But I won't give up my Corbin! If I have to change I may want to sell the Corbin racks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 PM

I have givi side cases and rack. I thought it would not work either, but if you loosen the top bolt to make that top support bracket lay as flat as possible it works. The seat won't latch unless you give a real good push down. Going by memory here, but I think there was a flat washer that i had under there the first time, pretty sure I took that out of there. i thinking after riding with a passenger the sit will somewwhat mold around the bracket and fit better as time goes on.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM

i bought a corbin seat at the corbin store at bike week this year. i already had the givi top mounts and they had to take apart the leather and grind the fiberglass on the bottom of the seat,then put the leather back and it is perfect. he told me that he did get the seat to latch after no mods by hitting the seat real hard, but he said the leather would tear after time.i also did purchase the givi side bags v35 and already had the v46 top bag.the set looks great. good luck hope you find a solution.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Yea, I am a little worried as well that the leather may get damaged...so corbin fixed it up for you? You had to pay the shipping there and back??
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM

I have a Corbin with the Givi side and top racks. All you really need to do is put some washers under the rear latch on the seat so that it extends down far enough to latch. The brackets don't seem to rub. It may take 3 or four washers to get it to latch.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I have a Corbin with the Givi side and top racks. All you really need to do is put some washers under the rear latch on the seat so that it extends down far enough to latch. The brackets don't seem to rub. It may take 3 or four washers to get it to latch.
This is good news Steve. I've been wanting to do a Corbin saddle for quite some time, but with all my Givi luggage and others posting problems I've held off. Shimming the rear latch sounds like just the ticket to eliminate the seat-to-bracket interference issue.

Another question. I've got a back off brake controller mounted in the rear section, and a Power Commander III mounted in the tool pouch area. Does the Corbin seat pan dip lower into the bike frame area?

Here's some pics of my "under seat gadgets."

Is there anyway you (or someone) can post some pics of the Corbin seat pan? I'd really rather not hassle with moving the brake controller setup, but could possibly relocate the PCIII if needed.

Thanks!
Jim
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 PM

I think you will be fine. I placed a plastic container in both spots and the seat attached just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1714s.jpg (357.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1718s.jpg (355.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1719s.jpg (313.8 KB, 202 views)

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Thank you so much Steven!

Looks like I'm good to go (once I save some $$$ to procure said seat!)

Take care,
Jim
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Happy to help and I think you will really like the Corbin seat.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM

You don't have to shim...

I have the Givi side racks and a Corbin seat (not top rack). All you need to do is make sure the front of the seat is correctly inserted in it's slot, then push downward real hard on the seat, right over the rear latch. It will eventually click in. Then leave it on for a couple of weeks to let it relax it self in. Then your good. I did this at the urging of fellow forum members last September, with excellent results. With no damage to the seat pan/leather, and no mods required of the seat or rack mounts.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 PM

I had heard of others being able to do it that way, but I couldn't get mine to latch. I have been able to take some of the spacers out, but I still have a few.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM

If pushing on the top of the seat does'nt work, then shimming the seat latch loop sounds like the next easiest option. Another option would be to "oval out" the holes in the side case brackets, to move the brackets slightly out away from the seat to give you more clearance.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Another option would be to "oval out" the holes in the side case brackets, to move the brackets slightly out away from the seat to give you more clearance.
That's not an option for me. I refuse to alter the luggage brackets as they're already a perfect fit the way they came from the factory. Just me..

I'll go Steve's route and shim the seat.

Edit: Re-read my post and wanted to state not trying to be rude, but I really don't want to alter the luggage brackets to get this to work. If a few stainless steel washers will do the trick I'm all over it!

Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-19-2009 at 07:26 PM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys some really good thoughts and especially glad to know some of you have got it to work. I thought of shimming the latch but there are a couple of rubber bumpers on the bottom of the pan that obviously are there to support the seat. If they don't touch the bike then I fear sitting on the seat will flex or sag it in the middle. Anyone noticed that?

I think ovaling out the holes might gain enough space to help and I'm going to try that next. Clearly the "best" solution is to shave the pan a bit but I have not been able to get Corbin to agree to do it even with paying them. And a local upholstry shop was afraid changing the pan would result in the cover fitting poorly enough to pull the stitch pattern out of shape when it is refitted. We're only talking about a quarter of an inch here so that seems unlikely to me. I have not got up the courage to take my cover apart and atempt it myself however. Have to admit too that my zip tie to the grab bar seems to be stronger than I'd have guessed. I may live with that for a while.

Finally, I do not think a Corbin seat will interfere with the storage space any more than the stock. The pan is flat and my staorage compartment is packed full with the tool kit and a flat repair kit and the seat still fits.

Thanks all I'll keep trying.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM

The Corbin seat pan is pretty solid and I don't think my 230 lbs flexes it much, if any. There really doesn't appear to be any wear on the seat where the seat sits on the rack brackets. It does take up a little bit more of the space in the rear storage area, becaue I can't get my tools in there anymore. Plenty of room in the bags though. There is still plenty of room for taillight controllers and such.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Does anybody have the Corbin seat with the SW Motech racks? Does this same fit issue occur?

Thanks,
-Alan
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 AM

I think the SW Motech Racks replace the passenger's hand holds and do not interfere...I don't have them, but I believe that is the way they work.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered my Corbin seat this morning. I did however state in the notes field on the order that I've got full Givi luggage on my bike and asked them to facilitate accommodating the brackets on the seat if possible. We shall see... If nothing else I'll just washer shim the seat latch as Steven has stated.

I'll be sure and let everyone know how things work out.

Thanks again,
Jim
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM

This should show you how it fits. It wouldn't be that hard for Corbin to eliminate the problem by removing about 1/4" around the tail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1727s.jpg (433.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1728s.jpg (418.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1729s.jpg (447.7 KB, 139 views)

Steve

Now I have four!

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Damn Steven, you're just a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for posting more great reference pics. If need be, I'll send the Corbin technician to this thread...

Thanks again!
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode