Dang! Oil leak with less than 50 miles. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dang! Oil leak with less than 50 miles.

Picked it up last night with 1 mile on it. Thanks to my so-called friends, they notice oil leaking from underneath left side. Seems to be lots of oil on the bottom side of the motor and its about 1/2 quart low. My dealer thinks it's the "shift shaft seal". I do hope it's nothing major.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Doh!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icversys View Post
Picked it up last night with 1 mile on it. Thanks to my so-called friends, they notice oil leaking from underneath left side. Seems to be lots of oil on the bottom side of the motor and its about 1/2 quart low. My dealer thinks it's the "shift shaft seal". I do hope it's nothing major.

Me too!! Good thing you caught it before something bad happened, like running out of oil. Let us know how it turns out...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Turns out it's an external oil line that runs along the shift shaft. It's leaking around the coupling so a new line needs to be ordered. Dealer said at 4 days to get the part but it's safe to ride. I guess I'll park it and patiently wait for the part to arrive.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Oh that really sucks for you.

Are you sure your stealer didn't "forget" to put a crush washer between the oil drain plug and the pan? I've seen the same as you describe in appearance when they do that.

Stealers like to overthink a thing.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

The leak was caused fram a $38 oil pipe. Part number 39193-0046. The end of the oil pipe has a plug in it. The oil is coming from around the plug. Auspicious beginning. BTW, thank you Ronayers.com.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM

Sorry to hear you had such a bad start to a new bike. Never heard of that here so must be an isolated issue. Keep us informed on how it goes from here on. Don't let that leave a bad taste for you. Is a fun bike. Good luck.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM

Yeah bum deal on that... is the dealer fixing it for free? they really should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes, it's under warranty. Not even 50 miles on it. I could replace it myself if I had the part. It's just behind the front sprocket cover.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 AM

Did you snug it before replacing it ? I'm not being a smart a$$ ,just wondering what part actually failed.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM

I wouldn't touch it myself. That is a dealer problem and he is obligated to fix it. If something breaks with you touching it then it is your problem. Let him fix it. Don't exactly understand how something could be broke and not just tightened right to beging with but that is up to him to asess under warrenty. You would think they would look at it and see if the plug was tight or maybe sealed before odering another pipe. Maybe he did. Possible i guess it got bumped and broke during shipment but you would think they would run it after they service it in the shop before they even drive it and notice any leaks. Keep us informed. Which Iowa City dealer? I have looked at bikes there at several shops.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

No, I definitely won't repair it myself. The part is on it's way and I'll take it to them (Iowa City Motor sports) when it's in. This external oil pipe has a soldered cap on the end, the oil is leaking from the soldered cap. The oil pipe is a cast aluminum square which is 1/2 x 4 inches in diameter. Oil is transferred from one part of the engine to another from this small square tube. If you want to see what it looks like, just take your front sprocket cover off. One of the bolts that holds your front sprocket cover on is attached directly to this tube. BTW, IC motor sports has a HUGE selection of bikes. The day was in they had just received 47 crates and we're trying to fit them in their warehouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode