Finally have one! New 08 in my garage. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally have one! New 08 in my garage.

I sold my 2008 600RR late last year after laying it down. It didn't hurt my feelings much because I hated it. I should have kept my VFR. Anyways, the decision I had to make was either a Versys, DR650 or the KLR. I owned a 1986 KLR that I purchased new and remember how much fun it was to ride. Since than I've owned many sport bikes but they've never really been much fun. I know if I'd have purchased a thumper, I probably would have regretted not spending a little more and purchase the Versys. The ride home was great! I'm sure I made the right decision. The dealer I purchased it from in Iowa also sells cars. The bike had exactly 1 mile on it. I low balled them with a $5000 offer. We agreed to $5500 which was $200 below cost. No extra fees. I did purchase the Kawasaki 2 year extended service agreement for $370. They we're nice people and very helpful. BTW, I do believe they had 1 left if anyone's interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Good for you. I too have owned two KLR's and many other bikes over the years. traded a 08 1600 classic on the Versys and got money back from a dealer also in Iowa. Where in Iowa are you. I am between Maquoketa and Dubuque. Had the 650 R bike also before. I think you made the right decision as the KLR is a great bike but not as the only one you have. Is a play bike for other uses. Versys serves more purposes. No where near the power of your sportbikes but more than enough useful power. I too had the 650 V stom on my list. Still would like to ride one. Welcome to the forum and a great bunch of guys here to help with anything you can think of. Fun bunch. Enjoy. I rode today about 150 miles as it was so nice for a change.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I live in Iowa City but I purchased it in Muscatine. I almost drove to Maquoketa today. A dealer there had a 2008 DR650 and I wanted to compare it to the KLR. The ride home convinced me I made the right decision. I'm thinking a aftermarket w-shield, rack and maybe pegs are in order. How do you keep these things under 4000 rpm during break-in and still drive 60?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you'll find she's a wonderful bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icversys View Post
I live in Iowa City but I purchased it in Muscatine. I almost drove to Maquoketa today. A dealer there had a 2008 DR650 and I wanted to compare it to the KLR. The ride home convinced me I made the right decision. I'm thinking a aftermarket w-shield, rack and maybe pegs are in order. How do you keep these things under 4000 rpm during break-in and still drive 60?
You don't. What didn't you like about the 600RR?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM

I know the dealer in Muscatine. been there a few times. I go to the VA in Iowa city it seems about every 2 months. Was the dealer in Maquoketa K motorsports. They don't have much if it was. Mostly atv's. I kind of fudge and hit 5000 rpms on the main highway. Won't hurt it if you just don't keep it at that speed for an extended time. I just don't go much higher than that as i only have 500 miles on mine. Hate break ins. Bought a few BMW's from Gina's in Iowa city and several Guzzi's from Jims in Riverside. Heck of a nice guy and friend.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was K Motorsports.
I had owned a 2007 VFR Interceptor and it was a smooth big sport/touring bike. the 600RR was to small for my frame and uncomfortable. I took a beating when I sold that. I'm ready for a simpler type of bike, I'm getting old.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by icversys View Post
When I bought mine in September, I decided to break it in "like I stole it" after doing LOTS of research on that method. I accelerated HARD then let it back off, then repeated. Now I've got 7600 miles on, haven't added ANY oil between oil changes (using car Mobil 1 15w-50 oil), and get around 55 MPG normally, and got 48.6 MPG on a 1766 mile run to California and back (80 to 85 on the 'slab' and AVERAGED 63 mph for the whole trip which included LOTS of twisties!). Oh yah - and love the stock tires, tho' the rear will need replacing within 1000 miles for sure.

Ed
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM

K motorsports only has about six bikes. Mostly atv. I bought a tire for my Secca from them and found out they don't even have anthing to balance it with. Half the time they don't have a clue when you try to order even a filter and have the old number. I gave up on them. As far as breaking them in i too let off and accelerate now but don't over rev it. I will have used Mobil one in my cars a lot and the Vette. I wouldn't personaly use a full synthetic until after 10,000 miles though. But my new Guzzi i remember and triumph came with mobil 1 in them from the start. Whole new can of worms so use what works best for each of us. I know my 650 R got 50 mpg most of the time but i am all highway here. V should do about the same when i get it broke in. Funny how so many of us as we mature have went to a more simple bike.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode