Just got rear-ended! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got rear-ended!

Whew... exciting way to kick off the day. No major damage to the V (that's what's really important ) and I am fine. I was making a right turn onto the main street/highway with a yield sign. I stopped for traffic, but the guy behind me messed up and kept going right into me and I saw it too late to zip away. I thought about it though, and it would have actually been more dangerous for me to try and escape onto the main road.

I figure he hit me at around 10 MPH or so. The only damage was to one of my TraX cases. It wrecked the inside corner pretty nicely and whole back side is definitely pushed in a decent bit. These things are built like tanks though, I'm impressed! It only hit one case because of the way we were both angled for the right turn ramp. I think it actually did more damage to his grille and emblem. He was more concerned about me though, which I really appreciated.

The guy who hit me is also in the military, so that definitely helped calm things down right from the start. He was very apologetic and embarrassed, as he said he's a rider too. He offered to pay for a whole new case (the only thing we could find that was damaged) instead of getting insurance involved. I got his information, but told him that would be a good deal. Do you think that was the right thing to do? I'm not sure if I would have accepted the offer if it was someone who I knew I'd have a hard time tracking down.

Some pics:

This one you can see the back side of the case is dented inward a little bit.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles

Last edited by Sykes; 05-19-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added third picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 PM

First, glad you're okay and the V. Second, it's too late to second guess about the insurance. Hopefully, the guy is trustworthy and will follow through with getting you back to whole. Have faith.

Last edited by King.Versys; 05-19-2013 at 01:25 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Ed, I know this is Marine, but - "Semper fi"! He'll come through if only because he's "one of us"!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM

I think you did ok...but time will tell.
He probably doesn't know how much those boxes cost so expect him to be surprised and a bit upset, just have prices and websites to back up the amount you want from him.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM

Garage
I would be nervous if the impact of him hitting the rear sectio may have tweaked some parts of either the case frames or the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 02:22 PM

Glad you and the V are okay!

Good luck getting everything back to normal.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Ed, I know this is Marine, but - "Semper fi"! He'll come through if only because he's "one of us"!
I think it will be alright too. His family was in the car and saw the whole thing. He was very sorry about it all and seemed really upset that he goofed like that. He admitted fault instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I think you did ok...but time will tell.
He probably doesn't know how much those boxes cost so expect him to be surprised and a bit upset, just have prices and websites to back up the amount you want from him.
When he made the offer, I told him they were quite expensive. He told me that he understood that and that it was his fault. Hopefully I got lucky and I'm dealing with a good person. If not, I know where he works, and would talk to his CO if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I would be nervous if the impact of him hitting the rear sectio may have tweaked some parts of either the case frames or the bike.
I was worried about that too. I did a quick inspection (the guy helped look too) of all the mounting points at the scene of the accident and couldn't find anything else wrong. Getting home and taking a close look, I couldn't find anything else wrong still. I think I may have dodged a bullet on this one.

Thanks for the advice/comments guys, I appreciate it! This was my first ever "encounter" with another driver, in the car or on my bike.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Glad you're alright and bike is minimally damaged.

Wow, you found a person who actually accepts responsibility for his actions! A rare commodity these days... I think you did the right thing, probably what I would have done too.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Glad you're ok and it was relatively minor.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsauer View Post
...Wow, you found a person who actually accepts responsibility for his actions! A rare commodity these days....
Probably because he's military!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Glad you are alright.. and I'm pretty sure those pictures are so large they can be seen from space.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Glad you are alright.. and I'm pretty sure those pictures are so large they can be seen from space.
They can be seen from space... The I.S.S. has Internet... Ha! I kill me!!!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM
MTS

Wow, and you road away! Excellent!

Don't know if he will pay or not!

I told you guys about the big VP of a company, ran a red , hit me, told the cops I ran a red and hit him!

Every kind of person out there!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Sorry about you bike BUT glad you're OK.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode