Blasphemy - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Blasphemy

... well, sort of.

I keep thinking about Tiger 1050's. Can't get them out of my head.

I don't need one. The V is excellent for what I do. Plenty quick... I don't remember the last time I went WOT in first gear. Comfy enough with the front of the seat lifted. Gas mileage is fine. I love the looks. It is outfitted as I like. I love riding it, but I still think about Tigers. Actually I think about Tigers, Multistradas, KTM 990SMT's... and so on, but Tigers primarily.

Please. Someone who has driven one... put me out of my misery. Tell me how truly awful they are! Tell me the suspension sucks. Tell me the sweet sweet tripple is nothing but annoying. Talk to me about how the extra power is nothing but a waste as the V is far more hooligan. Talk to me about the expense of ownership, frequent valve adjustments, and shoddy dealer network. For the love of Budda, someone decry these incredibly beautiful machines!

Seriously. If anyone would like to talk about their experiences on one, I'm all ears (and silly grin).

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 03-17-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 AM

I haven't ridden a Tiger but I used to have a Trident 3 cylinder...what a blast. This was back in the 70's...I can only imagine what they are like today. They are two completely different bikes. If money is no object and and you can only have one bike...go with the Tiger. (sorry Versys lovers)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 AM

I can help you with the Multistrada - my brother has the 620. He is CONSTANTLY adjusting the valves on that thing. Every 7500 miles!??! WTF were they thinking? Plus, I much prefer how the Versys sits/rides and handles (although the handling may be due to the tires he currently has fitted).

The Triumph weighs another 43 lbs more than the Versys. Do you really want to live with that?

Last edited by acinonyx; 03-17-2009 at 10:11 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post

The Triumph weighs another 43 lbs more than the Versys. Do you really want to live with that?

Good... good!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Ugh, I have been on the Tiger. Great bike, great bang for the buck, smooth, good to improving dealers nationwide, high customer satisfaction. Tall ,tall, tall.

I am not helping. Lots of great bike out there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Good... good!

Ok...
they suck
they get terrible fuel milage
they are unreliable
they are ugly
no one knows how to work on them
they are, well, Triumphs......

Do you feel better now?????
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I had a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S and sold it last summer. Great bike (went to Alaska on it in '04) with decent gas mileage. Has about 104 HP and TONS of torque!

Only trouble with it? At least once a season I would get the urge, and give in to it, to hold it WFO to an un-Godly speed. I figured it was just a question of time till the "minions of the law" caught me, threw me into jail, burned my license and fined me $$$$!

Now I have my Versys and my '04 KLR650, both of which will go "get-into-trouble speed" but don't tempt me to DO IT as much as the B12 did .

Guess what I'm trying to say is that the "liter class" bikes can spark VERY anti-social behavior if you're NOT careful....

Cheers,
Ed
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 PM

I had my eye on a Tiger. I may be short, but Tigers are TALL. I could barely touch both feet on tip-toe. The Triumph hard bags were teeny-weeny and mounted way up high and the latch mechanism was a pain. I needed about a 2/3 scale Tiger to work for me...the Versys fit the bill.

Regarding Triumphs in general, there's a lot to like. I rode a Sprint ST and really liked the motor. Lots of torque and real smooth, a great handling bike. I like the "3" design elements in the headlamps and exhaust. Nice to have two or three color options each year as well. Only complaint I had (and it was a big one) was the heat coming off the motor and exhaust nearly turned my boys into prairie oysters on a 75 degree day.

I think the new 675 Street Triple R would be fun if I had time, space and money for a third bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM

I also have a terrible urge to get the 675 street triple.

What stops me is a friend of mine who has had recent model triumphs, keeps telling me all the problems he has had with them.

When I think of the good luck I have with my asian bikes, I don't think I can take a chance and jump into something that won't be rock solid reliable.

When I hear a triple going up Poudre canyon though, I must admit I am tempted.

Like Clint says, do ya feel lucky punk?? If so, get one. Worst that can happen is that you will be back on something else.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
I also have a terrible urge to get the 675 street triple.

What stops me is a friend of mine who has had recent model triumphs, keeps telling me all the problems he has had with them.

When I think of the good luck I have with my asian bikes, I don't think I can take a chance and jump into something that won't be rock solid reliable.

When I hear a triple going up Poudre canyon though, I must admit I am tempted.

Like Clint says, do ya feel lucky punk?? If so, get one. Worst that can happen is that you will be back on something else.

Regards August
Actually, like your friend, most of my comments {although they are just comments to make Red feel better, I kind of like them as well}, came from a Triumph DEALER. OUCH?!?!?!?!?!? Do you think I'd buy one knowing that's from the horse's mouth?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Ok...
they suck
they get terrible fuel milage
they are unreliable
they are ugly
no one knows how to work on them
they are, well, Triumphs......

Do you feel better now?????
Sounds like you are talking about the cars!!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
... well, sort of.

I keep thinking about Tiger 1050's. Can't get them out of my head.

I don't need one. The V is excellent for what I do. Plenty quick... I don't remember the last time I went WOT in first gear. Comfy enough with the front of the seat lifted. Gas mileage is fine. I love the looks. It is outfitted as I like. I love riding it, but I still think about Tigers. Actually I think about Tigers, Multistradas, KTM 990SMT's... and so on, but Tigers primarily.

Please. Someone who has driven one... put me out of my misery. Tell me how truly awful they are! Tell me the suspension sucks. Tell me the sweet sweet tripple is nothing but annoying. Talk to me about how the extra power is nothing but a waste as the V is far more hooligan. Talk to me about the expense of ownership, frequent valve adjustments, and shoddy dealer network. For the love of Budda, someone decry these incredibly beautiful machines!

Seriously. If anyone would like to talk about their experiences on one, I'm all ears (and silly grin).

Being the co leader of the area RAT Pack I get to ride everything at the Triumph shop,The Tiger is TALL( I have a 34 inch inseam and its tippy toes) as others have stated also I felt for the money the suspension isn't all that good,mushy is what I call it .Also the saddelbags (no soft bags on that undertail muffer setup due to heat) are unreal expensive,in the neighborhood of $1000 just for parts.The top Case is extra.
Good points the engine rocks,there is nothing out there like that triple,mileage is decent and if you are ok with the soft suspension ,the ride is plush as long as you are on smoother road.its a nice bike and I am not knocking it but after I rode it ,I took it off my short list,it just didn't make me want to open my wallet.

AMA EAA STN
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
Being the co leader of the area RAT Pack I get to ride everything at the Triumph shop,The Tiger is TALL( I have a 34 inch inseam and its tippy toes) as others have stated also I felt for the money the suspension isn't all that good,mushy is what I call it .Also the saddelbags (no soft bags on that undertail muffer setup due to heat) are unreal expensive,in the neighborhood of $1000 just for parts.The top Case is extra.
Good points the engine rocks,there is nothing out there like that triple,mileage is decent and if you are ok with the soft suspension ,the ride is plush as long as you are on smoother road.its a nice bike and I am not knocking it but after I rode it ,I took it off my short list,it just didn't make me want to open my wallet.

OK... now that's what I need to hear. I would still like to ride one, but I know if I went down that road, I'd need to visit the suspension issue pretty quick.

The local dealer has two 05 Sprint's for sale. Both very nice, but I think I would prefer the Tiger. Hard to go back from naked... or semi naked anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode