How to make Versys more two up friendly? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question How to make Versys more two up friendly?

So, I just tool possession of my beautiful 2012 yellow Kawi Versys and I love it. It looks gorgeous and it rides awesome, but I do ride a lot with my gf and she's complained about a couple of things. She's used to my VFR, which we all know is pretty perfect for two up touring.

The seat sucks on the Versys! We all know that. I need to get a seat thats more comfy for me and a lot more comfy for her For some reason the geometry of this bike is a bit odd. The bike is a bit too short which makes the passenger seat too short. I need to get a longer seat and somehow position the bars in the back a bit wider out to be more comfy for the passenger.
On the viffer they're positioned a bit more towards the rear of the passenger seat which makes it very convenient.
I need some help and advice on this guys!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Don't know how to make the seat better, but having the backrest on my trunk made worlds of difference for being able to relax and not hold on so much.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I don't consider the Versys 650 a two up bike. Hope you and your gf together add up to 250 lbs or less.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I don't consider the Versys 650 a two up bike.
+1
The rider seat is fine (tho many seem to disagree), but the pillion part was shaped for style not for comfort. Lifting the cover and shaving the foam flat might be a huge improvement.

If I wanted to do much 2-up riding on the Versys though I'd prolly buy an aftermarket seat. Or switch to a Vstrom 650...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorider View Post
So, I just tool possession of my beautiful 2012 yellow Kawi Versys and I love it. It looks gorgeous and it rides awesome, but I do ride a lot with my gf and she's complained about a couple of things. She's used to my VFR, which we all know is pretty perfect for two up touring.

The seat sucks on the Versys! We all know that. I need to get a seat thats more comfy for me and a lot more comfy for her For some reason the geometry of this bike is a bit odd. The bike is a bit too short which makes the passenger seat too short. I need to get a longer seat and somehow position the bars in the back a bit wider out to be more comfy for the passenger.
On the viffer they're positioned a bit more towards the rear of the passenger seat which makes it very convenient.
Not much advice to offer on the ergo's but I was curious what year VFR you came from?? I had an '06 and came to the Versys.... and lived in Toronto.... and my girlfriend isn't comfy on the Versys....this is all strangely deja vu!

-Pat W
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 AM

Should have bought the Versys 1000 if you were after pillion comfort.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Wider?

I ride two up all the time and its never been an issue. I did get lowering brackets for the passenger pegs, and I got the backrest pad for my trunk. Then the gal in the back can have a but more leg room and a place to lean . I also added air hawk seat cushions to where I sit and for the passenger.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiotix View Post
Not much advice to offer on the ergo's but I was curious what year VFR you came from?? I had an '06 and came to the Versys.... and lived in Toronto.... and my girlfriend isn't comfy on the Versys....this is all strangely deja vu!

-Pat W
Mine was a 2007! Hmmm i guess ill have to add a top case and proly get an airhawk for her.

I looked at the v-strom as well but i hate the way it looks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I looked at the v-strom as well but i hate the way it looks.
When I bought my Versys, they had a strom parked side by side the V. It was HUGE by comparison. I am a smaller guy and there was no way I could own a strom comfortably. The Versys fit me much better. I have read the strom is better for a passenger. I have no experience to back that up.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Mine was a 2007! Hmmm i guess ill have to add a top case and proly get an airhawk for her.
I love my Airhawk. I only use it for when I know I will be on for longer than 30 minutes. That really helps the sore bum. In case you didn't know, the Airhawk 2 is a cheaper made cushion at a cheaper price point. I found an original from a forum member here by placing a post in the want ads. Very pleased.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Hi there, 1st of all I totally agree with twowheeladdict on this one . My own experience is, that pillion friendliness will cost ya and still may not be enough. I guess it all depends on how far are you travelling. , I've switched my rear shock , added backrest , lowered passenger pegs, changed seat of course. A lot more comfort now, but still looking out for that versys1000.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 AM

The SeatConcepts seat resulted in marked improvement for my passengers.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM

I really like the Baldwin seat. For the rider you can sit way back and enjoy full but comfort or slide forward to get your knees in a better position for the twisty stuff. My GF has not complained about the seat. Although there have not been any rides over two hours.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM

The SW Motech Alu-Rack uses the attachment points for the stock grab rails. It provides a grab location that is lower and further back. Many different top cases can be mounted to the rack. Twisted Throttle is the US Retailer. Canada too?
I don't know of any bike with a 55" wheel-base that could be described as a GOOD two-up bike. The Versys is probably better than most. Add pre-load to the shock, and maybe look at getting a better shock tool if this is something that you're doing a lot. Reshaping the stock seat is an easy DIY project, and it's almost free.
Good luck!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM

I added a GIVi top case with a back rest for about $350 that helped my girlfriend out a lot. I'm looking into a seat pad for her to use on the longer rides. I'm use to mtn. bike seats on long single tracks so the Versys seat is a la-z-boy couch in my book.

I will note that the V now does wheelies taking off if you ride semi aggressive 2up. Not fun if you are trying to get out of a bad spot quick when you are stopped! I also have my rear shock to max on the rotating coller to help put some of the weight on the front end.

The V will do it but not like the dedicated bikes for 2up. Just make sure you know the limits and drive safe with her life on your bike my friend!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM

I've had my 2009 for about 3 months and just recently took my first passenger (wife) on a ride - actually two rides (the first about 20 miles and the 2nd about 30 miles). I'm 200#, and with the factory settings, I think the bike shifted better and rode smoother with two of us. She's 125#, so you do the math.

**Cheap Mod Alert** My wife wasn't a huge fan of the seat, but she thought she could do two-up for a couple hours at most. We went to Academy Sports before our next ride and bought one of those $6 stadium gel-cushion seats. She loved it and thought it was much more comfortable. I even bought one for me to keep in my top box and use on longer rides. It really does make a difference.

Heck, I'm even thinking of cutting it to fit the seat and glueing it down. Any thoughts on that? I actually don't mind just leaving it my top box and using it when needed (it fits perfectly in the top box with room for plenty of other stuff (12-packs)). It's about 1/2 inch wide.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:47 PM

my seat is made of that supercell stuff from Spencers seats. It is way better.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Heck, I'm even thinking of cutting it to fit the seat and glueing it down. Any thoughts on that? I actually don't mind just leaving it my top box and using it when needed (it fits perfectly in the top box with room for plenty of other stuff (12-packs)). It's about 1/2 inch wide.
Cementing a cheapo stadium pad to your seat will look like Poo. Leave it in your box and use it on longer rides. I use an Airhawk in that manner and works for me.

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx

The Medium Cruiser fits our V perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode