First ride - Versys vs. KLR - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First ride - Versys vs. KLR

It meant that I had to transport my Versys 1000 km to find roads without snow and ice but it was worth it. This bike is so easy to ride it's almost a crime.

I sold my KLR in October and bought a Versys. Here are my first impressions now that I have all of 50 km on it:

Six gears. Wow! What a difference.

Vibration. The Versys seems to vibrate only at certain RPM's. It's not annoying, just the nature of the bike. I kinda miss the consistent thump of the KLR but I'll get over it.

Stability. The Versys wins hands down. You could ride a Versys standing on your head. It just seems to go where you want it to without even thinking about it. And you don't get the squirm from wind gusts that you seem to get with the KLR. The wind seems to blow through the Versys compared to the KLR.

I had the Versys up to about 90 kph, the maximum speed you can go at about 4000 RPM, and I didn't have the wind blowing directly into my face. Mind you, it's not a fair comparison because I have the Givi screen, but if I turned my head on the KLR at 90 kph to make a lane change I would get whiplash. I can still hear the wind with the Versys but hardly even feel it.

I have to remind myself to check my speedometer because the Versys can get up to highway speed very quickly compared to what I'm used to.

I'm not trashing the KLR. I loved my KLR but, for the kind of riding I want to do, the Versys is a much better choice. I really think I'm going to enjoy this little bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Just wait 'till it's broken in...the fun begins at 5000 rpms!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM

That is a fair assesment. I had two KLR's and loved them too. Just a different ride. Caution. DO not try rideing the Versys standing on your head like you say. It is a good bike for the money. Honestly i can ride it anywhere i that i did ride the KLR. Besides the KLR got too tall now for me to reach the ground. I just did a 150 mile ride today myself as it warmed to almost 60 here. Mild dirt and gravel roads are fine and that is all i took the KLR anyway. Much better highway bike and i agree about the windblast on the K. I remember getting hit by a windblast from a semi going the othe way on a two lane and about moved 2' to the side. Versys is more planted at that speed. Both good bikes for their own intended purpose. Glad you enjoy it. I only have the tall Kaw. shield but i am a short guy. Enough protection for me.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Agree with that too. I haven't got mine fully broken in but noticed today it is much smoother at 5,000. Almost seemed like the 650 R i had was smoother but this one isn't broke in yet. Could be me too.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

I just bought an 08 with 5500 miles 2 weeks ago. I came off of a DR 650, and I am not used to the high rev of the Versys. On the DR, I developed a feel for when to shift and how hard to run it. What is the normal rmps to shift or run at on the Versys? I catch myself reaching for another gear even with 6th.I know I can feather the throttle on out to reach 80.90.100. I guess It will take getting used to?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Big power difference isn't there? Lots more power on the mid and upper end than the DR. You will get used to it and crank it up coming out of a curve. So much fun. Don't feel bad i keep reaching to see if i have another gear. That is the only thing i think they could use. A light to come on when you are in 6 th gear. I always wonder if i have gone through all them. Did the same thing with the 650 R. I go through the gears spirited and then sometimes i get the urge and reall crank it up. Don't think i have ever come out of a curve without getting on it some. Is what it is made for. FUN Funny how much different the twin is over a single 650 CC. Both have their good points. Be interesting how you compare them after you get used to the V

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I didn't find myself searching for the right gear on the Versys very often but I am trying to keep it below 4000 RPM. It seems to shift through neutral easier than the KLR. With the KLR, neutral and second seem to be very close together.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
I didn't find myself searching for the right gear on the Versys very often but I am trying to keep it below 4000 RPM. It seems to shift through neutral easier than the KLR. With the KLR, neutral and second seem to be very close together.
Me too, keeping it at 4000RPM ~90kph, the fuel consumption is about 22-24km/L (w/ Arrow full exhaust).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode