GPS Owners Be Careful Out There! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GPS Owners Be Careful Out There!

There's a scam going on in the USA that mainly applies to GPS and car owners-but thought I'd pass it on.

Thieves are targeting cars parked at sporting events with evidence of having a GPS. Circle on the windscreen, 12volt power cable etc. Its also happening at shopping Malls, airports etc, but sporting events seem to be the favorite currently.

While you are enjoying the sporting event-thieves brake into the car-get your GPS out, punch in 'home' and it takes them & your car straight to your abode. Then, they hit your remote garage door opener and they are straight in!!

Even if you leave at half time and discover you car gone, by the time you have filled out the police report, got a lift home etc-your neighborhood burglar will have a couple clear hours until you make it back.

Bottom line, put in an incorrect home address, far enough away that the garage door opener would be well out of range, maybe same area, but a mile away. If practical always take the GPS with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Machog,

Thanks for the heads up, have not heard of that up in our part of the country, and this awarness could save a lot of heart ache!

Dave

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM

I work for Garmin and we had a Police Officer come in with a GPS from a recovered stolen car. We showed him how to get the last few positions from the unit and one of them was the thief's home address. It can work both ways. Machog is correct be careful out there.

Last edited by TAC650; 03-16-2009 at 04:28 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM

I'll find an address of a pit bull dog breeder and put that as my home address.

Thanks for the heads up.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 PM

I say the local police station as your home address!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 AM

TAC650, can you get me a job at Garmin?

-Alan
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM

It's happened in Britain as well.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gps.asp

However, like any crime in modern life, it's much rarer than people would have you believe.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC650 View Post
I say the local police station as your home address!
+1...you know how to get home from the police station, right?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
I'll find an address of a pit bull dog breeder and put that as my home address.

Thanks for the heads up.
Thanks for the negative Pit Bull reference
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye5782 View Post
Thanks for the negative Pit Bull reference
No bad dogs, just bad owners.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 AM

I do owe an apology about my joke about pit bulls.

Many dog breeds have the "tools" to do damage, but that does not make the dog breed bad.

My jokes should be better watched because I love dogs too (I have two of them), and I don't want to contribute to a non-issue.

Please accept my apology.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Political correctness has ruined everyone’s sense of humor. A joke is a joke of Pete’s sake.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the apology. It has nothing to do about political correctness. They are banning pit bulls in areas all over the country for no good reason. Once they have their fun with pit bulls you never know, your dog may be next in line. Alcohol, motorcycles and walking down the street all kill more people every year; will they ban them too? I just hate seeing the government taking over our lives and this is the sort of thing that fuels the fire.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 PM

I'm sure my Doberman (and silky terrier, 8lbs of fury) would be happy to meet them.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM

So, does the GPS give them a key to your house door, and the code to your alarm system? And where would they get a VATS key to start my car?

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM

Nice of u to share. I think alot of GPS owners take their devices with them.

BTW, get this! Theives broke into a house here in Phoenix through the FREAKIN DRY WALL! I kid u not!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Another trick is simply 'setting' the nails in your siding.
Walk right through. A little girl had her face nearly
torn off this week by a vicious pit. Just saying...
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 PM

I worked at a toy/sporting goods store when I was in high school and someone busted a big hole in the concrete block wall right into our locked gun room. There aren't many building that can't be breached.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaChava View Post
Another trick is simply 'setting' the nails in your siding.
Walk right through. A little girl had her face nearly
torn off this week by a vicious pit. Just saying...
Post an article with a picture of the dog concerning this attack you speak of. The media is great at twisting stories around to make the "news" more interesting. Its been proven that many "pit bull" attacks have been dogs other than pit bulls.

You don't like pit bulls that's fine with me; everybody is entitled to their opinion. I get upset because of the bans popping up all over the country. We need to focus on irresponsible dog owners instead of wiping out a wonderful breed of animals. There's a reason so many people have these dogs and it's not because they want to look like a gang banger.

Deciphering your post I assume you believe pits should be banned? If so I'm surprised you ride a mc considering they are dangerous and there are safer alternitives out there. If you're a gun owner than shame on you, guns are way to dangerous for us stupid Americans to handle safely. I've read asprin and other pain killers kill 20,000 people yearly. Clearly pit bulls, which account for less than 10 deaths yearly, should be banned.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Last edited by Popeye5782; 03-18-2009 at 10:47 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Popeye its always good to get lots of different views on these subjects and since I started the thread, I'm going to continue with your high-jack.

This is not against you, its just my point of view regarding your comments.

Its not the number of Pit-bull deaths, its the number of Pit-bull attacks that vary from a nip to nearly fatal. I agree its the owners who need to be trained more than the dog.

But, why is it that PB's account for more than 20% of the total dog attacks-way out of proportion to the number of PB's out there compared to other dogs? Can we conclude from this, that its the type of person that gets a PB maybe shouldn't?

Maybe its the owner not the dog that needs a licence?

The onus would be on you to prove that you are mentally competent to own a dog and have the necessary motor and IQ to own and operate a dog, any dog safely, like you have to with a motorcycle-there back on track!

Just some random thoughts after a few glasses of wine.

Now I promise to shut up and stay on the much more interesting and less controversial subject of Versys!!

Machog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode