Buzz from dash - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Buzz from dash

awhile ago i read a thread on here about some guys having a buzz from their dash at above 4k, i couldnt find the thread agin to post this, so here it is. I have noticed the same with my bike, and heard about a few guys fixing it with little pieces of rubber or double sided tape, i was just wondering if anyone knew exactly where the buzz was coming from! thanks! also, my valves are a bit noisy, all the bikes ive had were hydrualic valves, so im sure this is normal, but just to make sure, are yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

There are pics in this thread (scroll down):

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=1500.0

Oh, & haven't noticed any valve noise, but to be honest, my helmet is so loud, I probably couldn't hear the dang motor blow!!

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 05-14-2008 at 04:50 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 AM

Yeah they all buzz pretty bad even the F and N models too. Its from the Tacho surround being mounted poorly around 2 pins that also hold the fairings on as well.. a tiny cost fix for a major annoyance with an otherwise very unique and innovative bike!! .

When i first test rode it I put my hand on the dash and it went away so I remounted the dash and fairings on 2.5mm medium density foam with adhesive backing. No more noise!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Good idea & welcome aboard!

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Great Fix

brill the fix worked a treat, got to a stage where i nearly sold mine cos i felt like a mosquito had taken residence in my helmet, i never thought of joining a forum, 24 hours later no buzz thanks again.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0w3 View Post
Yeah they all buzz pretty bad even the F and N models too. Its from the Tacho surround being mounted poorly around 2 pins that also hold the fairings on as well.. a tiny cost fix for a major annoyance with an otherwise very unique and innovative bike!! .

When i first test rode it I put my hand on the dash and it went away so I remounted the dash and fairings on 2.5mm medium density foam with adhesive backing. No more noise!!
I logged on here tonight to complain about the buzzing. Mine is at 3000-3500 rpm and is driving me nuts! I can make it go away by flexing the windscreen on the left hand side.
Is the foam you used of the closed cell variety, so as not to absorb water?
I'll have to give it a try.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:11 AM

lazy sam

no mate i'm not that resorceful i'm afraid. after reading the different forum posts and looking at the different photo's of fixes the only thing i had then and there was a set of self adhesive felt pads the type you buy to stick on the bottom of a chair leg to stop it scratching the floor!

even if it only lasts a month or so it is such an easy fix i'll just get better stuff next time!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangamansam View Post
no mate i'm not that resorceful i'm afraid. after reading the different forum posts and looking at the different photo's of fixes the only thing i had then and there was a set of self adhesive felt pads the type you buy to stick on the bottom of a chair leg to stop it scratching the floor!

even if it only lasts a month or so it is such an easy fix i'll just get better stuff next time!
I'm on my way now to the automotive supply store. I called ahead and they have some of that adhesive foam tape you use to put between a canopy and truck bed walls. I think that may work. I'll take some pics of the job as it proceeds and post them.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Here's a post I put up a long time ago on another forum:

Well, there are two ways to go; let the dealer fumble around, or easily fix it yourself. My dealer gave me nothing but stupid looks, even when I gave them the printed warranty edict from Kawi...it was for the UK. If you look elsewhere on this site, there is a thread with the difinitive cure for the buzz, as done by a number of owners, but I can reiterate here so you don't have to look it up.

If you are anywhere handy, grab a screwdriver with the appropriate tip, and remove the shield (4 screws) and hang on the the nuts (you will need a wrench or pliers to hold the nuts from turning). Remove the red side panels on each side (six screws each). Remove the panel that surrounds the instrument cluster. It has like 4-5 screws and four pop-outs. (Pop-outs are a cheeeeeep plastic fastener that work by friction when you push in a pin. to remove, use a flat screwdriver to push the pin out from the back.

When you remove this panel, you will see a tab that fits into the headlight surround. Put foam rubber on the tab or into where the tab goes and reassemble. I used a portion of a bicycle intertube. Some have used weather stripping and insulating foam strips. It only needs to be 1 3/4" or so long.

This is more tedium than technical...anyone can do it. Total time including cleanup can't be more than 1/2 hour, and you get to see "whats under there"!

Your choice, but you now know that you are in control and capable of fixing it NOW, without giving up your bike. Negotiate with the dealer...you'll take a farkle in lieu of their $200+ retrieval/delivery bill!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

Closed cell foam works well and is available at many hardware stores. Also look around the top inside edge ot the outside cowl. There should be some rubber dampers on the lip. They may have fallen off like mine did causing an additional buzz. I was able to get some thim rubber adhesive tabs that I put on the inside of the lip to stop that buzz. If the rubber dampers are still there then the solution above will be all you need to do.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popster View Post
I'm on my way now to the automotive supply store. I called ahead and they have some of that adhesive foam tape you use to put between a canopy and truck bed walls. I think that may work. I'll take some pics of the job as it proceeds and post them.

I used exactly that around the dials and have had no problems!

There are two sources of buzzing so make sure you get them both.
One is around the speedo/tach console and one is where the fairing meet the light housing. (my dealer used weatherstripping on that one)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 AM

Dear Guys. i'm a new member, just registered. I'm a biker from italy and since june i've a new kawasaki verys. reading all your post i've understood that i've same problems of you: noise due to vibrations in front between 2.000 and 4.000 rpm. i've immediatly found the reason of this noise and it's a little steel ball into the instrumentation. Kawasaki customercare knows that (since at least 2006) but up to know they didn't do anything to solve this problem. This is the problem also of many italian biker and now i'm fighting with kawasaki customercare to try to get a solution: a complete digital instrumentation would be a great solution...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 03:16 PM

I think thegreendevil may be on to something. I also have the buzzing problem. As per recommendations in this forum, I put all the foam in the right places ... and then some more just to be on the safe side. Anyhow, I put the parts back together again and ... the noise is still there, albeit much reduced. So, I took it apart again and rev-ed the engine to ~3500 rpm, and sure enough, it seems to be coming from the inside of the tach. There's clearly multiple sources to the noise. Keep us posted greendevil !!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM

I see this is an old thread, but i fixed my buzz with a dynamat clone self adhesive vibration damping material placed on the underside of the dash. It changes the sympathetic frequency at which the dash vibrates. No more buzz. I'm sure everything posted here works as well. Don't sell you bikes...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Damping the buzz

markaustin

I had the idea to also do some damping if my second round of foam around the gauges does not work. I was going to bond some thin aluminum to the underside of the instrument dash to change the harmonics as the buzz would go away when I put my hand on it while it was buzzing.
Where did you get the dynamat? It sounds like a good solution to the buzz. I am wondering if the foam I put around the instrument gauge will transfer vibration to the gauge itself and harm it in time.

Thanks, pmac
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 PM

Howdy, PMAC, First of all, to answer your question, I got my dynamat clone stuff by ordering the sample pack from B Quiet for $3.00. http://www.b-quiet.com/ I figured their samples would be big enough for my whole job and they were. When I wrote my post above, I had put three samples of material under that dash and the dash was silent. Apparantly, there is something to this engineering stuff, because now we have dramatically lower temps and the dash has started singing again at a slightly lower frequency. Something goes "wrong" in the cold and we start vibing again. So, as long as it is warm outside, you can use my solution and it will go just fine! It's back to the drawing board for me. I'll let you know when I have it licked.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:31 PM

This is how I fixed mine! Removed the Windshield. Removed both plastics above the tanks. Removed the plastic around the Dash Board. Went and bought high quality sealed weather stripping 1/8" thick by 1/4" wide with the adhesive strip on one side. Attached this Weather Stripping around the Dash Board. Took my time and it looks like factory. Reinstalled plastic and windshield and it looks and works great. Bought the weather stripping at Home Depot and took about 30 minutes and a much better job than some punk at the dealership would do.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the info markaustin, I'll check the website.
Yea the buzz seems to take on a life of it's own at times. The extra foam I put around the gauges as jpurcha describes is still working good, but I'll more than likely bond some thin aluminum to the back of the gauge dash this winter and see if it alone works. It'll add some thickness and some solidness as a doubler. We'll see if it works, for now the buzz is gone.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 AM

Thanks guys, you saved me from going crazy. I had a terrible buzzing at 3000 rpm. I did what you guys have said, removed the windscreen, removed the fairings, and removed the instrument cowling. When I got the instrument cowling off, I looked at the front tab where it sits into the slot in light cowling. There were two small black pads there by the slot, one on either side of the slot. If you look under the front tab of the cowling itself, there are two thin plastic bits that sit onto those pads I mentioned, and they had dug right through those pads. I guess that's why it's a time thing. I made some more double sided scotch foam tape pads and stuck them on the original black pads. I put also foam pads everywhere where the fairings sit and bolted right through them. On the fairings themselves, underneath at the front, there are also original pads. I stuck another one on top of each of those too. The nasty buzz has gone.

Last edited by pankovas; 02-07-2009 at 02:57 AM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 11:53 AM

The easiest fix is using 3M strip caulk.(black)
Available at auto part stores.
Put it at all the close spaces.
because it is black, it blends right in.
I did it in summer 2012 and no more buzzing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode