RPMs - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPMs

I've got just over 700 miles on my Versys and was wondering at what RPM you feel the V likes to run best at? Reason I ask is I got stuck in some stop and go traffic today and never quite felt like I was in the right gear.

I've been shifting from 1st to 2nd around 4000-4500 RPM and all other shifts in the 5000-7000 range depending on traffic. Mine seems happy running steady in the 4500-5000 range.

Just curious what your guys thoughts/opinions/experiences were.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well, with the vacuum hose mod AND throttle sensor adjustment to cure low end lean stumble, ethanol-free 91 PON gas AND +5 degrees ignition timing advance, mine runs remarkably well from about 2000 rpm all the way up to redline. I can easily keep it between 2000 and 3000~4000 rpm downtown. Engine runs smoothest between 5000 and 6100 rpm where it is vibration free.

Last edited by invader; 05-16-2013 at 01:35 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 AM

Mine vibrates like mad in the 4800-5200 range so I avoid that like the plague. Unfortunately that seems to be the V's sweet spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Well, with the vacuum hose mod AND throttle sensor adjustment to cure low end lean stumble, ethanol-free 91 PON gas AND +5 degrees ignition timing advance, mine runs remarkably well from about 2000 rpm all the way up to redline. I can easily keep it between 2000 and 3000~4000 rpm downtown. Engine runs smoothest between 5000 and 6100 rpm where it is vibration free.
Do you have the 5 degree advance because you are using 91 RON without ethanol ?

And any drawback to that set up ?

LOP
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

inanimate objects can neither be happy or sad.
you can ride that bike all day and never go over 4k except on the freeway in top gear
ride it how you want

I have to go now, my phone wants me to answer it.

IMO

Last edited by Seeya; 05-16-2013 at 04:42 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Being "happy" was just a figure of speech. Just curious where others have found the sweet spot in terms of power/smooth ride/and fuel efficiency.

Also, I don't have any plans to do any kind of modifications at this point either.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 PM

Just today 2 years after I bought it, I figured out the V LOVES running 5k ... In town it loves 2nd in a 30 mph zone, corners are seamless... With the CS one it sounds like I'm on a SS but hey I love it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Mine is the same as Invaders, pulls and runs smooth in any gear till redline.

Just as an aside, mine also pulls smooth from 1800rpm in top gear...and that's with a 16T front sprocket! It's an amazing little engine.

By the way, the only mod I've done is an aftermarket (cheap DanMoto) exhaust. No PAIR valve thingy, no vacuum mods, no power commander, no timing advance....nothing.

Motorcycles...the only true freedom man has left.

Last edited by Oz-Gun; 05-18-2013 at 07:28 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I do concur that it pulls cleanly above 3000 rpm in stock form... With the vacuum hose coupling both TB's and with main throttle sensor adjusted up to spec, I was checking my revs today. In the city, I ride around and accelerate smoothly up to 5th gear from 2000 rpm. Launching from a stop, I'm at 1200 rpm with clutch fully engaged, and I can even let it dip just under 1000. Tractability and driveability is absolutely astounding and flawless! It also pulls very strongly with an extra little rush from 9500 to 10500. Damn I love this bike. It does everything so well, it never ceases to amaze me.
:::::

Quote:
Without any Power Commander fuel corrections, air/fuel ratio reaches a lean peak at 2800 rpm (~14.5:1), falls progressively richer to a dip at 4100 rpm (~12.8:1), leans back up (~13.5:1 @ 4500-5000 rpm), then richens considerably to 5500 rpm (~12.2:1) and up to redline (~11.5:1). The wide torque band spans from 3800 rpm to 8100 with maximum at 6800 rpm, but some fuel can be saved by keeping it under 5200+ rpm as much as possible... Best fuel mileage should be achieved at 4500~5000 rpm for highway cruising speeds, and under 3500 rpm at low speeds.

By the way, engine vibrations (and less than optimal torque output) are more present in the 4500~5000 rpm range because of the relatively lean fuel mixture.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Gun View Post
Mine is the same as Invaders, pulls and runs smooth in any gear till redline.

Just as an aside, mine also pulls smooth from 1800rpm in top gear...and that's with a 16T front sprocket! It's an amazing little engine.

By the way, the only mod I've done is an aftermarket (cheap DanMoto) exhaust. No PAIR valve thingy, no vacuum mods, no power commander, no timing advance....nothing.
Are you burning ethanol-free 95 RON (91 PON North America)? What is you elevation above sea level? It's pretty hot and dry down yonder?

Last edited by invader; 05-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Are you burning ethanol-free 95 RON (91 PON North America)? What is you elevation above sea level? It's pretty hot and dry down yonder?
I throw whatever fuel I can into mine. I seldom run anything higher than 91. We're getting a lot of E10 (10% ethanol) at our petrol stations here in Oz, but I've never put it in my V. In fact, the only time I stick 95 or 98 in it is when there's no standard 91 available.

As for sea level, I live near Canberra. Canberra is approx 600 metres above sea level. BUT, travel 100km south west and you can be at 2000m and travel 100km east and you can be at sea level. So my riding takes in all elevations this country has to offer.

Temps at the moment are getting down around -1 to -4 centigrade over night and hitting a max of 16 ish. We are, obviously, heading into our winter. Being in the southern part of the nation, and next door to the Snowy Mountains, it gets very cold. But, in summer we hit 35 to 40 degrees C. We truly get 4 distinct seasons in this part of the world.

Having said all that, I don't find my V runs any different, or varies much (if any) with regard to fuel consumption (its only right wrist dependent) irrespective of where and what time of the year I ride.

What I'm finding a little funny at the moment (sorry for the hijack) but when I'm at work in the office I find myself dreaming about the. New Tiger 800XC and the F800GS Adventure, however, when I'm out on the trails and gravel on my V on the weekends, I find myself wanting/needing for no other bike! Mines set up perfectly for gravel touring/exploring. I'm preaching to the converted in yourself, I'm well aware.

There's just a certain romance in the idea of a more adv ready Tiger/GSA.

Motorcycles...the only true freedom man has left.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I will cruise around 4000 RPMs. Shift around 6000 RPMs is the smoothest. In traffic keep it at 6000 RPMs so I can accelerate if needed.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM

2000-4000 in traffic, 5000-9500 on twisty roads, whatever needed in 6th gear on the autobahn, 5th gear in rural roads with some easy bends.

I run 10% ethanol 95 ROZ fuel and a disconnected lambda sensor for better throttle response and lower usuable rpms

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM

What ever I am in the mood for. I tend to spin it up. Things are really smooth at 6 to 7,000 RPM. But in traffic in first or second gear, that does not work as well. I almost never use 6th gear. Stock gearing is great for me. Only 87 grade fuel with 10% is all the bike gets. 48 to 49 mpg.

In the twisties, crank it up and let the motor do its thing. This is a high RPM engine that works well down low too.

One sweet bike!
I rode it to work today in the pouring rain. I have no car in the summer. Gotta keep the RPM lower for better control in the rain.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 AM

You know, generally, I don't spend much time looking down at the tach. As my older, wiser brother would say, "Just ride it!" For me, while riding, it's more about the "FEEL," rather than the numbers. If she's buzzing a little, I either decelerate/accelerate through that spot or try a different gear (assuming I'm not already in 6th.) And as far as fuel, here in Houston, Texas I top off with the cheapest 87 octane I see. I think all our gas stations are serving the "save the world" 10% ethanol blend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode