Who wants to ride my Versys to Alaska? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who wants to ride my Versys to Alaska?

Seriously. I've been planning a trip for almost two years to Alaska, three weeks in July... but work is going to keep me from making the first week of the trip. I need to be in Anchorage by July 14th, so the bike needs to be there by then. Meeting up with a friend, continuing on...

So, my bike, my equipment, including camping gear- your time... I don't care how you get there as long as the bike arrives in good condition by July 13th. You fly back from Anchorage, I fly into Anchorage!
I've got lots of people who think it's a great idea, but nobody committed at this point.
Maybe you have other friends who are doing the trip earlier, and you didn't think you could join them? Here's a way to do it!
The bike is in Aspen, CO, but maybe there are ways to get somewhere else? I'd ship it to AK, but it's WAY expensive...

Anybody? Am I nuts to think that this makes sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

It would help if you're long-legged- the bike is set up with a raised seating position and lowered pegs-
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
Am I nuts to think that this makes sense?
Yes, certifiable.

There isn't anything a decent rider can't handle between here and there but that is a lot of miles for somebody else to take your bike. I'd be scared to death handing over my key to somebody.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

No question it would be best if it was somebody I already know...
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 PM

If I lived in Colorado and had a bunch of free time, I'd totally do it.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Who covers the cost of the ticket from Anchorage?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
What are you proposing? I fly to Colorado, I ride you bike and pay for all fuel and maintenance, and then I pay to fly home from Anchorage? The only advantage over me riding my bike with my gear would be if I needed to save vacation time.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

For anybody with their own bike, set up for this kind of tour, it doesn't make much sense. I'm trying to find a partner, basically, who wants to take advantage of my need to get the bike to AK and doesn't have the time or equipment to do it on their own. For the right person, it's a win/win. I've already had several people who want "the job", for money and/or a plane ticket. If I have to go that way, I will-

Look at it this way... it's a chance to get at least a piece of the Alaska adventure ride without much of the cash/equipment/time investment. When was the last time someone said to you, "Yeah, take my bike and ride it 3000 miles... just be careful, will you?"
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I did a google of the route. Looks good. Your time frame actually fits into my scheduled vacation time. Not sure if I am ready for the costs involved though. I would need to get a passport as well. Probably too much to accomplish in six weeks with my work travel schedule. A solo trip across Canada would require a lot of research on my part and I don't think I have the time. If I had already been researching this adventure and was close to pulling the trigger myself, I would probably give it a go.

Good Luck.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 AM

A few random thoughts: Riding the Alaska Highway is an education, in itself, and the story of its construction is fascinating and worth exploring. Bikes can be rented in Anchorage; whatever the cost of rental, Alaska offers the adventure of a lifetime. It will be expensive for any rider; breakfast for two rarely costs less than $30. Expect fuel through Canada to cost at least twice what it costs in U.S. Refuel when and where you can, not when you need it. When a sign announces "No Fuel Next 100 K" believe it. Little flags at the edge of pavement indicate hazards. Slow down! Be sure to soak at Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park, British Columbia, and for lunch at Buckshot Bettys in Beaver Creek, Yukon.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Jdrocks! Haven't you had enough of the North?
PM on the way-
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM

My pa told me "when something sounds to good to be true, it is." How do I know if I show up to ride I don't end up in your basement with the Gimp and a gag in my mouth?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
since i can find my way to Anchorage without a map, i should probably take care of this for you. there are a few details to work out, however. PM me....
Dave - IF you do it, how about going early enough to meet up in Dawson or thereabouts? (You know when....)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
My pa told me "when something sounds to good to be true, it is." How do I know if I show up to ride I don't end up in your basement with the Gimp and a gag in my mouth?
Zed is dead, baby-
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 AM

I would totally do it if I wasn't living in Spain and planning for my own travels. I hope you find someone apreciating what you have to offer!!
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
working on some details now. PM your schedule. we could meet at Crowsnest. you're not riding your doggy slow KLR are ya?
Nope....

Ridin' my "doggy slow" Versys, the GREEN HORNET! Look for a PM.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
working on some details now. PM your schedule. we could meet at Crowsnest. you're not riding your doggy slow KLR are ya?
BTW - here in BC they WILL impound your ride IF they catch you enough over the limit (20 kms - 12 mph - MAYBE...), and the "Horseman" is in a bad mood.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
Zed is dead, baby-
The path of the [Versys riding] man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

We're on! Jdrocks is going to do this...
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Before you sign off on this, contact Motoquest in Anchorage. Talk to Jason. We are flying up and renting 800GS's because it will be cheaper than riding up there and back, and no Alcan Hwy abuse on my bike. You're already paying for multiple airfares, that might cover your rental cost right there.

IMO, nobody rides my bike like I think they should, I would never turn over the keys to someone else, esp. on a long trip with a marginal highway to boot. I'm sure Jdrocks is a fine upstanding guy, but I think you're nuts. And I mean that in the kindest way....

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adventure ride, alaska, alcan, anchorage, july

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode