Custom routes > GPS? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Arrow Custom routes > GPS?

Hey all! I have been happily riding with a Garmin Nuvi 250, picked up on eBay on the cheap a few years ago. But recently, I have planned some killer routes using google maps, and I really wish I could load them into a GPS. But it seems the feature is reserved for really expensive motorcycle-specific GPS units.
Can anyone recommend a way to have a custom route, displayed on my dashboard GPS, for under $150? I would also be willing to get an iPhone app, and listen to turn-by-turn directions in my bluetooth headset, but I'd rather see what's coming on a small screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycombs View Post
Hey all! I have been happily riding with a Garmin Nuvi 250, picked up on eBay on the cheap a few years ago. But recently, I have planned some killer routes using google maps, and I really wish I could load them into a GPS. But it seems the feature is reserved for really expensive motorcycle-specific GPS units.
Can anyone recommend a way to have a custom route, displayed on my dashboard GPS, for under $150? I would also be willing to get an iPhone app, and listen to turn-by-turn directions in my bluetooth headset, but I'd rather see what's coming on a small screen.
Try using this program - www.tyretotravel.com

You create all your routes in its own Google Map / Google Earth interface, and then automaticity it can save the route as a .gpx or .itn file or if connected to you pc, directly to your TT or Garmin GPS.

Can run off a USB stick as well.

Richard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
You create all your routes in its own Google Map / Google Earth interface, and then automaticity it can save the route as a .gpx or .itn file or if connected to you pc, directly to your TT or Garmin GPS.
I have my google map route saved as a .gpx file. I used this website, which is free and great. But unfortunately, lower-end Nuvi cannot accept routes, only waypoints. AND, I tried to enter in 10 waypoints, and navigate through all of them, and it won't navigate to more than 2 waypoints at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gps route

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode