Flat Tire Prevention - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Flat Tire Prevention

Hey, Bones and I talked briefly about what I should carry in the event of a flat. Just wanted to throw it out there to see what you all do. We discussed the mini-compressors and "gummy worms" from Wally-World that would suffice. Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 AM

I mentioned to redline that I have a Stop N Go mushroom plug kit which has worked every time but once, and that time old fashioned gummy worms did the trick. Stop N Go is a trick bit of engineering but I don't think it has any advantage over gummy worms, certainly not for the expense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 AM

Hi Redline,

Have not used it but can remember someone mentioned Ride-On (Tire Protection System). http://www.ride-on.com/

Other products like
http://www.nomoreflattires.com/

http://www.slime.com/product/29/Powe...%2350001).html

Thanks

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM

+100 for Ride-On. It is much better than all the others. Plus, your tires will last longer.

I carry plugs (but I forgot the name of them), spare tire valve stems and a $7 foot pump from WalMart that works great. After having a small air compressor fail me when I really needed it, even though it was proven to work previously serveral times, I trust my foot a whole lot more.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM

+2 for the ride on. I still carry gummy worms and a little container of soapy H2O, and a CO2 inflater which can also be used as a manual pump. Think my bases are covered!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
+100 for Ride-On. It is much better than all the others. Plus, your tires will last longer.
Hi! The Ride-On installation help file states that "After installing Ride-On TPS Motorcycle Formula sealant into your tires you may notice a slight vibration until the sealant has warmed up and distributed evenly in your tires. This process usually takes 2 to 5 miles."

Now, I'm sure it's a silly question, but if you already have the Ride-On stuff installed in the wheels, done a few hundred miles after that and you leave the bike for, say, a week in the garage, does the stuff stay put? In other words, do you always have to warm up the tires for the 2-5 miles for the vibration to settle down - or is it just the first time right after the installation?

Thank you!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Jab, I've used that stuff in the last 7 tires at least, and I've never noticed any vibration, even at the start.

I just put in the amount they say, blow off any residue on the valve stem's female threading, screw the valve back in but not tight, just slightly snug, fill the tire with air to the correct pressure, and then just roll the tire around several times. Once I go off and ride, it just feels smooth all the time.

A few times my bike has set for just several days without riding and when I ride it again, it just feels smooth.

Maybe if we had one of those BIG ass rear tires that look like a truck tire which would require a lot of Ride-On, then maybe that could cause a bit of vibration at first if you home was right on the hwy and immediately did 70 mph, but that's not us.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 PM

from what I've read on various sites/forums, ride-on seems to be the top of the line stuff. Thinking I'm gonna use some when I get new tires (very soon!).
if you look on their website, you can get three bottle and the stuff you need for install for 40ish dollars, which isnt bad, considereing that will cover a new set of tires and leave you with one extra bottle still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by amir_zwara; 03-13-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spell err...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Jab, I've used that stuff in the last 7 tires at least, and I've never noticed any vibration, even at the start.
I'm just about sold on the Ride-On. I noticed that even with postage and customs it'll be quite cheap (well, relatively).

Thank you for helping me out!

Last edited by Jabarai; 03-14-2009 at 02:05 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 AM

Ride-On used to be a decent amount cheaper, then all of a sudden their price shot up. I called their sales dept and asked what in the world made them justify such a price increase. He said there is an ingredient (can't remember the name of it) that went into short supply and any product that used it had to purchase it at the much higher cost, so Ride-On was forced to increase their price.

We talked for about 15 minutes and he explained why the motorcycle formula differed from the cheaper car tire formula, and why Slime was designed for bicycle tires and how it breaks down fast in motorcycle tires.

Granted, he was a sales guy but he sure had his facts.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 AM

Another vote for Ride-On tire protection. Have used it in the last 4 bikes without issues. Granted I've never ran over anything to give it a chance to do it's thing, which is fine by me! Like insurance, it's piece of mind.

Never once had a vibration issue even after initial installation either. Plus, the tires NEVER loose pressure. That in itself is a big bonus!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 AM

I've used it for years in several bikes and never had a vibration. I have never used wheel wieghts with Ride-On either.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM

This thread right here could be the one that
makes your subscription to the forum worth
the money...

I tried slime. YUK. Ride-On looks like serious
stuff. Thanks everyone!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Hey, Bones and I talked briefly about what I should carry in the event of a flat. Just wanted to throw it out there to see what you all do. We discussed the mini-compressors and "gummy worms" from Wally-World that would suffice. Any other thoughts?
I avoid running over sharp objects. Seems to work so far...

Gustavo
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I avoid running over sharp objects. Seems to work so far...

Gustavo

Ok, you are soooo right. I haven't had a flat in over 27 years on the road either.....hope I didn't jinx myself. Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like ride-on might be the choice.......
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Does Ride On goop up the inside of the tire and rim like some of the other products do? I have heard of mechanics who refuse to touch tires treated with the goopy flat prevent/fix products.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 PM

No ride-on will not make a mess on the rim like fix-a-flat (not flamable like old fix-a-flat either). Plus hopefully you only change a tire when you need a new one, so the tire changer will never touch it. I know people who will scoop it out of the old tire and put it in the new.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Just had to edit this reply because I realized my questions were already answered farther up. Oops! You guys rock. Okay, gotta go place an order.

Last edited by mz33; 03-16-2009 at 09:15 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 AM

I put Ride-On in my tires this weekend and I haven't had a flat since!

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode