communication system's??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Vs.

communication system's???

Hi all

I've been looking into buying a communication system for the bike so me and GF can talk to each other well riding this summer(both on seperate bikes). We went to purchase the scala Q2 today but then the sales men says he's not the impressed with it,(above 140kms gets to much wind noise) he recomends the autocom sytem. I don't have a problem with having the wires like the autocomm but by the time I get all the bites to make everything work it will cost around $800 instead of the $400 for the scala. FYI autocomm uses walkie talkies for the between bike talking so thats only as good as ones walkie talkies.

Any suggestions or speaking from experiences are needed

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 AM

Above 140km/h??? The quality of a communication system will depend on the fit of your helmet. If you have wind coming into your helmet, it will be noisy in the communication system. Unfortunatly a well ventilated helmet is not compatible with a communication system.
I use the Blueant system to talk from bike to bike and will also work with my cell phone and GPS system (no wires since bluetooth). I had problems with sound until I added a shield under my helmet to stop the wind coming in from the bottom and into the mic.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 AM

I have a Scala Q2 and it gets great sound through bluetooth between riders and Cel phones. Also because of it's bluetooth format, it's just like talking on a cell phone. You don't have to wait for the other person to finish talking and key out, you can just continue on with what you need to say. It is voice activated or button activated. You choose when you are setting it up. I will say there is one part that I'm disappointed with though. The part that sucks is that after receiving it I found out it's only bluetooth 2.0 compatible and doesn't support A2DP or any other streaming audio format.

It sucks because the mp3 player plug on the helmet causes the audio to be tinny and very high pitched. I was hoping for something that I could talk to another rider with and then when done it would go back to my music that was streaming. So now I'm probably going to see if there is another headset that can do what I'm looking for. Too bad as this one is nice and small and way easy to set up. Good thing I got it as a gift. If I would have bought it and found out later that it didn't have the capabilities, I'd be even more disappointed.

Last edited by Enemy Zero; 03-13-2009 at 07:43 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 AM

I have been using the autocomm system myself. It is fairly expensive and somewhat tricky to setup. Here's my experience:

I absolutely love this system. When a call comes in through the phone/gps, bike-to-bike, or passenger-to-rider ports, it will automatically decrease the volume on the mp3/audio in channel. If you get the expensive model that has the AVOX option (I recommend it), it will automatically adjust ALL volumes as the wind noise increases so if you're sitting at a light, it drops the volume of the MP3 player (and other channels if active) and as you speed up it slowly increases it so it's always at a good level. The passenger & rider channels can be adjusted separately.

I got the remote switch that allows you to adjust the mode on the fly (VOX, PTT (push-to-talk, or always on). I kept accidentally hitting the switch to always on, so I finally removed the switch and tied the PTT into the PASS switch on the Versys. (Of course, I disconnected the wires to the headlight on the PASS switch.) Now I just press the pass switch to talk. (I was never able to get the AVOX to work for me, but it worked for my brother fairly well. I have a fairly soft voice, though -- no VOX has ever worked for me.) The AVOX system adjusts the mic's sensitivity on the fly as it does for the volume.

The only complaint I have on the sound quality is the bass response is not that good, so most of my songs (rock) are a bit washed out.

For reference: I wear ear plugs and have a Shoei X-11 helmet.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to add that there is a Bluetooth module for the Autocom and it works very well but it does cost extra. Only issue is all bluetooth communications come through a single port on the Autocom so one of the bluetooth devices has to handle switching if more than one is added. Also, for bike-to-bike, you have purchase a separate radio (walkie-talkie) but it gives you the freedom of selecting the one that works best for you.

Last edited by acinonyx; 03-13-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: grammar corrections & add't comments
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I would strongly recommenced reading the reviews of these systems on Web bike world. The old adage of "you get what you pay for," seems to be very true in the segment. While their review of the Scala was positive overall there are plenty of user comments that are not so good. Autocom seems to have very happy customers. I am looking at these myself.

Steve
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
RL="http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/scala-rider-q2/"
review of the Scala [/URL]was positive overall there are plenty of user comments that are not so good. Autocom seems to have very happy customers. I am looking at these myself.

Steve
Funny I have used the Q2 for almost 2 years now (three of them) and would buy another one in a heart beat. Also everyone I know that owns one feels the same way. Im not sure why people have issues with them but I guess its like anything else, some people are just pickier than others.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

GTI, its all about expectations. If you want it to work in a certain way and it doesn't its crap. That is what is so great about this forum. People tell their experiences and you get your expectations set appropriately. For me I want a longer range than the Scala for bike to bike, I know that, and the review told me what to expect. If I had bought one I'm sure I would have said it was crap!

Steve
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Thats true Steve. The range is what maybe 1000 feet on these? Thats just a guess based on chatting with my wife while we ride. Of course if we get out of range I just call her on the cell then the range is unlimited. Well for the most part anyway.

I have my iPod playing through an FM transmitter that I tune the Q2 into for music when we are out of range of radio stations. One thing I wish it they would have come with is a 12volt adapter for charging. When your bike camping its hard to keep thing like this charged up at times.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
I use an Autocom system (no AVOX though, I've got the mid-line system with the active noise cancellation) and as far as rider-pillion goes, it's brilliant. Easy to use, good noise cancellation, we've used it post 120km/h without any issues.

Prior to this I had a UHF system so I could talk to both my pillion and other riders. It was great when you were wandering around town or stopped, but anything post 60km/h was just garbled and impossible to understand. The only useful thing with it then was I knew someone wanted my attention... Also, having to press the PTT button all the time and not being able to talk all at once (not duplex) was a bit of a pain.

I've got the bluetooth dongle on mine, it syncs with my phone and I can make and take phone calls. Only problem is the bluetooth volume output on my phone (LG KU990 Viewty) is very low so again, post 60+km/h it becomes quite hard to understand what people are saying, so all I can do is answer the phone, tell them I'll call them back and hang up... I've put a hack onto the phone that is supposed to increase the volume but I haven't had a chance to test it yet...

I haven't tried the UHF module, I've got a Uniden 044, has anyone tried it with this? Does it do VOX? Or do I have to buy the additional PTT button?

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuire View Post
...I haven't tried the UHF module, I've got a Uniden 044, has anyone tried it with this? Does it do VOX? Or do I have to buy the additional PTT button?...
The bike-to-bike works with any radio that has a jack for external PTT. The autocom handles the VOX, not the radio, but it tells the radio it's ready to transmit via this jack. Autocom sells ready-made cables for common models. You can buy a universal cable and customize it to work with almost anything, as long as the device has an exxternal PTT jack.

I haven't tried the Uniden model you mentioned, but I bet it would work as I've seen an external mic for it. I use a Kenwood GMRS radio myself.

You can buy the optional cabling to run a switch that mounts to your handlebar. It gives you PTT, VOX, and always-on (always transmitting) settings at your fingertips, but takes up some of your grip room. (See my post above about the PASS button on the Versys.)

I didn't have much luck with the VOX (again, see post above for further details) so I exclusively use PTT. By the way, the PTT is only for bike-to-bike as the radios are simplex by design. You get full duplex with rider-to-rider and cell-phone/bluetooth.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Im waffling Myself

I spoke with a parts unlimited rep I know and he highly reccoemnds the scala q2 teamset. I like the idea of the Bluetooth and MP3 capability. The reported dist is good-but only 4 modules can be used together.
I want Bluetooth for the phone, FM for the walkie talky type (for compatibility) MP3 input and rider/Pass intercom. All wireless. Oh and VOX Now am I being picky of what

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
The autocom handles the VOX, not the radio, but it tells the radio it's ready to transmit via this jack.
Yup, that was what I was wondering I've used my radio with my previous headset that had a PTT button, good to know that the Autocom is clever enough to do the PTT buttoning by itself

Question - I'm assuming *everytime* you talk it would transmit, so even when talking to pillion it would transmit? And when pillion talks it would also transmit? If you have the manual PTT button, does it change this function so that you can choose when you want to transmit and when you don't?

~
FookStar

Queensland, Australia
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuire View Post
... Question - I'm assuming *everytime* you talk it would transmit, so even when talking to pillion it would transmit? And when pillion talks it would also transmit? If you have the manual PTT button, does it change this function so that you can choose when you want to transmit and when you don't?
Yes, in VOX anytime you talk and the radio is connected, it is transmitted. The PTT overrides this and lets you talk to your pillion in private. The cellphone/bluetooth channel overrides the bike-to-bike channel (as in it never transmits when the cellphone/bluetooth channel is active), although that can be setup differently via switches internal to the autocom, if I remember correctly. If you are using VOX, it helps to get the optional external switch so you can control when you are transmitting.

You bring up a good point. I don't remember how it handles the passenger channel exactly. It seems like there was a setting (via switch internal to the autocom unit) that tells it how to handle the passenger channel. I don't recall there being a separate PTT button for the passenger so it must be completely keyed off the passenger's VOX. I think in PTT mode the passenger can talk to the rider at anytime, but is only transmitted when the rider presses the PTT button. It seems like it was selectable whether the passenger was transmitted across the bike-to-bike or not when in VOX mode. I'll have to research that one to be sure, though.

Last edited by acinonyx; 03-13-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: reworded for clarification
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Ok, I just got the Scala teamset a few days ago, and it works well for me. bluetooth for the phone, rider to passenger comm, and an mp3 in jack.
even though it is bluetooth, i'll let you know, it is NOT compatible with bluetooth GPS systems (except the Tomtom Rider, and probably the Zumo)...
but, I just plug my GPS (tomtom 720) into the headset using the mp3 jack, and play the music throught the gps system itself.
it works well, especially the talk features, but the windnoise is kinda loud for highway mp3 listening (but then agaihn, my helmet is loud!, and I probably should get a new one...).

Last edited by amir_zwara; 03-13-2009 at 08:03 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM

also... I found it on ebay for cheap! 150 for the whole setup, brand new. so stay away from the over priced retailers.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Vs.

home made!!!

I was thinking instead of spending the $$$ to get a system, I might make my own since the whole idea is to talk to another bike and the autocomm sytem rely's on walkie talkie. I'll get some good walkie's and probably hard wire them to the bike so I don't have to worry about the battery's dying, I can also splice in MP3 audio jack. My tom tom handles bluethooth calls so I just have to figure out how to splice bluetooth module and I am good. Anyone have experience with making your own audio panel???
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vs. View Post
I was thinking instead of spending the $$$ to get a system, I might make my own since the whole idea is to talk to another bike and the autocomm sytem rely's on walkie talkie. I'll get some good walkie's and probably hard wire them to the bike so I don't have to worry about the battery's dying, I can also splice in MP3 audio jack. My tom tom handles bluethooth calls so I just have to figure out how to splice bluetooth module and I am good. Anyone have experience with making your own audio panel???

if you're going to rely on a walkie talkie, then i'm thining you've got a good idea.
to make it simpler, just wire the walkies to each bike, and plug right into them with the headphones/mic plug in, and you can get a headphone spliter and run the other wire to a gps/mp3 and voila, you've got both! (I hope it makes sense to you, as I can visualize it, but don't know how to word it all that well...)

Last edited by amir_zwara; 03-13-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: me spell muchas mal!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM

I think the main issue with motorcycle intercoms is noise - both engine and wind noise. With this in mind I think the most important feature of any intercom is noise reduction/cancellation. I don't think any simple system would work particularly well, especially at higher speeds...

~
FookStar

Queensland, Australia
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Amir, 10 years ago I did just what your talking about. Of course it was with a minidisc player not MP3! Walkie talkie with PTT and music. Lets just say that I'm now budgeting $600 or so for a professional system. Had to build an amplifier to get the sound loud enough, had to suppress bike engine noise, I'm no electronics expert, and if you are go for it. Oh it died the first time it rained.

Steve
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Lonerockz...
yeah I figured that set up would work... but I've got a scala system myself... however... this amplifier you're speaking of... I'm interested, defenitly could use one for the music at high speeds... so, since you mentioned it... how do I go about building/obtaining one for myself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode