Synthetic Oil - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Synthetic Oil

I heard that Synthetic oil in these bike's smooths the shifting -- mostly first gear. What is the recommended synthetic oil, specs , etc...? Don't see it in Owners Manual.
Kind regards...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I run Mobil1 (car!!!) 15w-50 or 10w-40 in both mine, and changed to synth around 2,000 miles.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Amsoil 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. http://www.gbsyn.com/index.php

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 AM

I've been running Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 since my first oil change at 500 miles. I get it from Walmart. Seems to do the trick for me. I don't recall the shifting being any different but I've got no shifting worries using it.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM

I use Rotella 100% synthetic, 5w-40, from Walmart
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Oh, the Rotella (above) is rated Jaso MA, so its good to go for your wet clutch.

There have been cases reported that non Jaso MA synthetic oil and automotive "energy conserving oil" can cause problems with motorcycle clutch plate swelling in some motorcycles with wet clutches (like ours) .
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM

I'm about to do my 600 mile oil change. Any reason not to switch to synthetic at this point?

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good to me -- Thanks!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.rider View Post
I'm about to do my 600 mile oil change. Any reason not to switch to synthetic at this point?

I went with a Semi Synthetic at the 600 mile change used Repsol.Then the next oil change went to a full synthetic.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I read a thread that it quiets down the clunk into first somewhat - mine isn't that bad
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Amsoil 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. http://www.gbsyn.com/index.php
+1 for the Amsoil. Use the 10w40 in my bike and their chain oil in my chain oiler.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.rider View Post
None at all.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Garage
Down to 3 quarts of Amsoil so i found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U8JH84/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a rebate.http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...378214492_.pdf
Just ordered a case to give it a try.

Went ahead and ordered some plugs while i was at it..http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RLOE4O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-21-2013 at 10:16 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:08 PM

Since none of us have the expertise to tell the difference between car and motorcycle oil and if there is any, it would be nice to see someone do a study on this. For now the best info I have seen is on the site http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

from Castrol
In 1996 the American Petroleum Institute (API) upgraded the performance standards of motor oil from SG to SJ (currently SN). This upgrade impacted the friction modifiers to address the fuel economy and zinc and phosphorus levels to address catalytic converter issues of passenger cars. For motorcycles, the additional friction modifiers can negatively affect wet clutch performance, and motorcycle engines typically require a higher level of the anti-wear additives like zinc and phosphorus.

Passenger car oils use friction modifying additives to reduce friction in specific areas of the engine such as the valve train and piston ring/cylinder. Friction modifiers react with metals forming a molecular layer that reduces friction between moving surfaces. In a typical motorcycle engine with an oil immersed clutch (wet clutch), friction modifiers may be absorbed on the clutch plates rather than on the metal surfaces. This can reduce the friction coefficient of the clutch plates and as a result the clutch will start slipping causing a loss of power transfer to the back wheel, overheating and increased wear.

As mentioned above API ratings higher than SG do not have anti wear modifiers. From what I have read the JASO-MA rating just addresses the anti friction modifiers but not the inclusion or exclusion of anti wear modifiers. I would think you would need both the JASO-MA rating and the API-SG rating ideally in a motorcycle oil.

Last edited by versys_rider; 09-21-2013 at 10:37 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:45 PM

A good website that describes various types of oil and use in motorcycles, check out the link below:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

There is also more information regarding break-in and oil recommendations there too (see under "Break In").

2012 Kawasaki Versys
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:11 AM

Amsoil for me as well. Works well. Most bikes will shift a little harder when you're putting it in first...pretty common, not sure it's something you can really get rid of.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelinMan67 View Post
A good website that describes various types of oil and use in motorcycles, check out the link below:

There is also more information regarding break-in and oil recommendations there too (see under "Break In").
Great article! Thanks for posting.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
FWIW - when I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200S (about 104 hp), I used Mobil1 CAR oil, 10w-30 w/ "friction modifiers", on the advice of another B1200 rider who drag-raced HIS. He used car M1 in 5w-30.

I used the M1 10w-30 in that B12 for AT LEAST 20,000 kms w/ NO problems.

Just sayin'...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
Great article! Thanks for posting.

No problem! I stumbled onto that site awhile back when I was researching motorcycles in general; lots of good information.

BTW, I just finished up with an oil change today where I switched to Shell Rotella full synthetic; I am curious to see if I notice any difference in the shifting or running in general. I am right at 2,000 miles.

2012 Kawasaki Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode