bought my versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking bought my versys

First of all, after almost one year of having first seen the versys and being afflicted with the "V-fever" ... I am finally the owner of a 2008 versys ! yipeee !!

Now here is the background for my question.... I live in Columbus, ohio and my beloved is in Memphis, Tn. I just got my ohio learners license.. but I have driven motorcycle ever since I was 18, but that was just a 150 cc bike.

And here is the question, how do I get my bike to Columbus ??? Initially I thought of renting a UHaul with a motorcycle trailer to transport the bike.. But the idea of riding from Memphis to Columbus on the Versys, is slowly gaining a strong foothold in my head !

What do you guys think I should do ? I am planning to do the move this weekend.. hopefully...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:11 PM

easy choice

ride the bike..
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:27 PM

+1 Ride to your destination, and enjoy the trip

Dave

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Just a few words of warning...

1. Good engine break-in usually involves running the engine at a variety of revs. Running an engine at constant speed for a long time is the worst way to break it in. So don't just plan on going down there an hopping on the freeway for 9 hours back home.

2. You only have your permit? I assume this means that you can not ride at night legally. Just keep that in mind when you plan your trip. Getting stopped for speed and not having a license is a recipe for a ticket and maybe an impounded bike.

3. It's only a 600 mile journey, but if you have not spent much time on a bike your ass may regret your decision. And if you follow my advice in #1 you wont be flying back at 70. You'll be varying your speed and taking non-freeway back. So plan on an average speed ~50 mph once you account for stops. So that's a 12 hour day minimum. Which may put you back to riding at night.

4. I hope the dealer is good. Finding out they messed up the bike putting it together and having to rely on the nearest banjo player for help can make for a long trip. (your ass may hurt more from this pit stop that the long miles... How is your pig impression?)

5. Have you ever done any long distance rides? I'm thinking not on a 125cc! Whats your riding gear look like? It will rain, you will have to ride in it. Own a rain suit? Have a tank bag to keep maps in? Is it waterproof? Do you have AAA or another roadside assistance plan? If not, do you know how to fix a flat?

If it were me I would do it, but I would go down there friday, ride it around locally all Saturday morning making sure there are no issues. Then ride for the afternoon back on some of the great roads in TN. Stop for the night and then do the next leg on Sunday.

It would really suck for your first weekend with your bike to be a bad one. So plan ahead and make sure you have a good time.

Steve
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

hey steve.. thanks a lot for the points u made... I have bought a used Versys... so i don't think breaking is a problem... but u are right this would be by far the longest trip I have ever been on...
So I am gonna plan it a little better... so the first trip has to wait until nxt weekend, so that I can make sure that everything works out perfectly !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM

I am moving 2000 miles, from one city to another, and I'm renting a Uhaul Moving Truck/Van. There is room to put my Versys inside of the van (its the 14foot van), but there is of course no place to bolt a CHOCK to the floor of the box. Also, I suspect that tieing a loose chock to the walls of the box will be dangerous and likely damage the motorcycle. Therefore, I am thinking about draining the gasoline and oil out of the motorcycle and then gently laying it down on its side inside of the box...and supporting the weight of the frame on some wooden blocks, to prevent the plastic from getting damaged.

What does everyone think of this idea? I know it's not ideal but its the best I can come up with for this move. Any suggestions to improve it?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:09 PM

I hauled my bike home from the shop in a cargo trailer. I had made a floor stand from 2X8 with eye blots at the end. Basicaly a (t) the bike weight keeped it in place and straps from the handel bars to the eye bolts was fine. This stand was for hauling my dirt bike though work good for the versys.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Typically, rental trucks have wood floors. It's easy to screw a board with a wheel chock and two hold down points to the floor, then remove them before turning the truck in. Done it several times. Takes 5 minutes and a few drywall screws.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Typically, rental trucks have wood floors. It's easy to screw a board with a wheel chock and two hold down points to the floor, then remove them before turning the truck in. Done it several times. Takes 5 minutes and a few drywall screws.
+1 on the use of the drywall screws into the truck floor.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Hello. I completed my move and thought I'd tell you what I ended up doing.

The Uhaul truck had a metal floor, so screwing a chock into it wasn't an option. I wedged the front tire into the inside corner of the box and strapped it to the sides with eight straps in total, just to distribute the weight as much as possible, giving particular care to do it slowly and methodically. The Versys isn't an overly heavy motorcycle, so I wasn't too concerned about the side rails of the Uhaul truck, I just made sure to distribute the straps broadly (along the rub rails in the uhaul) and at the strongest points of strength. The set-up worked very well and I had no trouble at all.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 PM

use a sheet of plywood. Screw your chock to it. Strap her down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode