Got a "New" bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got a "New" bike

Got a NEW Versys today...well it seems that way. THIS is what I'd hope I would get but was worried that I was asking too much. NOPE The Michelin RP2 really made a huge difference in the way the bike handles and feels. Hard to describe, lighter feeling but more planted in the corners...tracks true... neutral handling? Rolling into a turn is certainly better feeling. I remember the change on my Buell when I put the same RP2s on it but it was nowhere as great. All this learned in about a 15 mile ride. I didn't push today as I need to scuff them in and it's in the 40s today and I don't feel like going for a long ride. I have to learn to ride a "New" bike after all!

Why does Kawasaki handicap their bike with such poor choices in tire. The ones that came on my KLR were wore out in under 1800 miles and were poor on and off road. While the versys lasted almost 8000 they were dismal handlers to say the least.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Garage
What vehicle comes with "good" tires as stock? Every forum that I am on no matter if its for bikes or vehicles everyone complains about the stock tires on the vehicle.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM

my V1000 is the first bike that I haven't changed the stock tires way before they were needed. The Pirelli Scorpion Trails seem pretty good after a few thousand kms and I feel totally confident with them.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
my V1000 is the first bike that I haven't changed the stock tires way before they were needed. The Pirelli Scorpion Trails seem pretty good after a few thousand kms and I feel totally confident with them.
The Trails on my 650 were not bad but they wore out really fast, 4350km to reach the wear bars on the front. I've installed Michelin RP 3's and they feel better on pavement in comparison but have less traction on dirt and gravel. Lets hope they last longer.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 PM

Garage
Hey could have been worse! Ever ride on a Buell Blast with the stock Dunlop tires? Those things were terrible! Mine would begin to "float" as you approached 80mph and when you took a corner it would "click" through the groves in the tires. Avon Vipers turned that thing into an entirely different bike!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...Why does Kawasaki handicap their bike with such poor choices in tire. The ones that came on my KLR were wore out in under 1800 miles and were poor on and off road. While the versys lasted almost 8000 they were dismal handlers to say the least.
I got pretty much 10,000 miles from the rear Dunlops on both the '08 and '09 Vs, and about 11 to 12,000 from the fronts. They were fine for me....

The stock tires on my '04 KLR650 ran about the same mileage too. Not great, tho'.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 AM

Glad it's improved your bike.

My bike sure was better after replacing the stock tires with better rubber. I did it at 5900 miles and the rear seemed to have half it's life left at that point.

In my case the change in feel wasn't all about going from a squared off worn out tire to a new one--since the old tire wasn't really worn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode