1st (& 2nd) MPG Numbers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1st (& 2nd) MPG Numbers

They say "the numbers don't lie." (then again, I made "c's" in math, so frequently, the numbers DID lie!)

The wife joined me for my first official ride. I'm 135 lbs, she's 110 lbs. We had the side hard case bags on, the 08 has 12200 miles. I had previously filled the tank (w/regular) and added 2 ounces of SeaFoam. At the start of our ride, I had already logged 90 miles on the tank. Since I wanted to run as much of the treated gas through the system, we rode about 80 miles till the fuel gauge had only one bar left. First reading = 174 mi @ 3.7 gallons = 47 MPG

We filled up, did a little more EASY going (55-60 MPH) back road riding then jumped on the interstate for our return home ride of about 50 miles. For these 50 miles, we got in behind a couple cars that were cruising at 65 MPH. I filled up again just before reaching the house and here are those numbers:
84 mi @ 1.2 gallons = 70 MPG !!!!!!!!

Wow!!!!! Can this be?! I'm headed out again this morning, this time solo WITHOUT the side bags. Let's see what kind of numbers I get today.

The bike performed spectacularly with the 2 of us. For a 650 cc, she had plenty of power and seemed to prefer 65 MPH vs 50 MPH.

I did notice my left wrist felt like I was leaning on it and this morning it's a little sore. I'll pop a couple Advil before starting out this morning and head south towards Galveston and ride the coast road. I should log around 150 miles on my half day ride.

Ah . . . the joy of 2 wheels !!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 AM

Garage
I must have gotten a defective bike. My 08 seems to want to be at 80mph. Told the wife it's the bike not me..... Still get 47-50 mpg.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM

70 MPG seems pretty high. I found at my local gas station if I am facing one direction (uphill) the tank will fit more gas in it. Maybe you were at a similar gas station with a slightly sloped driveway.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM

I'm a newbie on my Versys. Just got my first rides in this weekend. Did 600 miles over the weekend! Worst mpg was 50 and best was 56 mpg. No complaints.

However...I thought the Versys had a 5 gallon tank. The most I've been able to put in was 3.6 gallons so far and that was at 183 miles. I do fill it on the kickstand as it's too tall for me to fill sitting on it. I'm bringing her down 1.85" this week. I'm excited.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I generally get 50 to 56 mpgUS, and I can get 5.3 gallons in by filling into the filler "neck" - I don't have a charcoal canister any longer.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM

I'm getting 49-51 around town... no high speed stuff.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM

I've only gotten 42-43 mpg for the three tanks I've run through thus far (city and hwy). Do you think and additive like Seafoam would help?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 PM

Garage
Absolutly no idea what my MPG's are. I bought the bike to have fun on.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Use Seafoam . . . can't hurt MIGHT help. Some swear by it, others swear ABOUT it (not doing any good.) Although it is primarily used as a fuel system cleaner, the can also says it "stabilizes" the fuel. I became sold on it's occasional use with my prior bike, an 05 Honda 250 cc Rebel. The Rebel's are known for being great starter bikes which are ridden incredibly few miles then put away in the back of the garage and left to sit with untreated fuel in their system. The carb gums up and the fix is removal, dis-assembly and 24 hour soaking of the carb followed by the use of an air hose to "blow-out" all the tiny orifices. Even though I THOUGHT I had done the job carefully, the first soaking did not cure the problem. The Rebel Forum gurus said not to feel bad, sometimes it takes multiple soakings. I decided to use a double recommended dose of Seafoam in the tank and take the bike on a long ride in order to run the full tank through the system. At the end of my ride (about 120 miles on 2 gallons fuel) I re-filled the tank and continued my ride, about another 40 miles. I found my choke issue and rough idle problem was gone as I pulled in the drive way. My Versys (08 w/12K miles that I just got a few weeks ago) has no problems, I just figured . . . it wouldn't hurt.

Kawdawg ' ' ' regarding YOUR mileage numbers . . . I think most would agree a lot has to do with the WAY you ride (hard on the throttle, fast take offs, winding out each gear before shifting, etc.) I'm a very gentle rider. I think that help's my MPG. I would tend to agree with the comment above indicating my 70 MPG was probably a fluke. I'm kinda anal about MPG numbers, so i'll keep taking readings. If I find repeats of that high number, I'll report back. I rode again the next day and topped off twice. Both times my MPG was 52+.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 AM

My best MPG ever was on my trip last July when I was put-putting along around 45 mph though Yellowstone. On 9-Jul-12 I did 121.5 miles on 1.924 gallons for an MPG of 63.15.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Absolutly no idea what my MPG's are. I bought the bike to have fun on.
Because I do some long adventure rides where gas may NOT be readily available, I ALWAYS do a mental check on my gas mileage to "forecast" how far a tank will take me.

On my FIRST Alaska trip (both on our two Suzuki Bandit 1200Ss) I 'knew' where gas was available on the Alcan, so when my buddy suggested filling-up somewhere, I told him that we were 30 miles from the NEXT gas, so let's continue, which we did. We got there to see a sign on the pump - "NO GAS! AVAILABLE 30 MILES SOUTH OR 50 MILES NORTH". After having our lunches we set out north (AFTER I convinced him that we could 'do' better than 50 miles on reserve, and we weren't on it, YET...), and within a couple of miles we BOTH went onto reserve, and set our speed around 55 mph.

My buddy was giving me the "evil-eye"..., but we got to the next gas in a bit more than 50 miles, filled-up and noted we'd still had roughly another half gallon each.

So - sometimes KNOWING your mileage is a good thing.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart1375 View Post
...I thought the Versys had a 5 gallon tank. The most I've been able to put in was 3.6 gallons so far... I do fill it on the kickstand ....
One way to check the usable fuel capacity for your the tank on your bike - Bring a quart bottle of fuel with you; ride until you are completly out of fuel, but within a few miles of a gas station; Dump in your quart of fuel; Reset your trip odometer; Ride to the nearest gas station; Note the number of gallons to fill up, on the kickstand, on level ground; Add to this number the estimated portion of the quart remaining (use your trip odo reading and average mpg to calculate this); You now have the usable capacity of your fuel tank.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
One way to check the usable fuel capacity for your the tank on your bike - Bring a quart bottle of fuel with you; ride until you are completly out of fuel, but within a few miles of a gas station; Dump in your quart of fuel; Reset your trip odometer; Ride to the nearest gas station; Note the number of gallons to fill up, on the kickstand, on level ground; Add to this number the estimated portion of the quart remaining (use your trip odo reading and average mpg to calculate this); You now have the usable capacity of your fuel tank.
Running fuel injection dry is not good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Yup, same with cars. The fuel pump will be hot and could cause premature death.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I agree... but sometimes sacrifices have to be made in the quest for knowledge.

Alternate method #2 - Multiply your average mpg x 5.0 gallon tank capacity (if your average mpg is 50, then that works out to 250 miles); Ride around in an average sort of way for 245 miles; Stop at a gas station, open the fuel filler door, take out your mini LED flashlight and look into your tank the best you can, slosh the bike/tank around, estimate how much fuel is sloshing around; Assuming that the averages work out, you should have 1/10th of a gallon in there or 12.8 oz.; fill up your tank; note the gallons. That number is less than but close to your usable fuel capacity.

You won't know your actual useable fuel capacity because you did not run it out of fuel. But your fuel system has be saved from potential degradation.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Garage
PeeWee What are you shifting RPMs to get that MPG. I ride "normally", shifting around 6-7k RPMs per gear. I get around 50mpg. That's traveling at 80MPH on the freeway. With a 44 tooth rear sprocket.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM

This reminds me of when I was in college, I lent my car to my girlfriend. She drove her friends from the Detroit, Michigan area out to Maine for a vacation. She was absolutly AMAIZED at the gas mileage that my '71 Gremlin got on this trip!!! What he didn't realize was she was buying Imperial Gallons to fill the car, on her trip across Ontario. Those gallons are much larger, hence the high mpg, but its not the same "g".
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 PM

I've only had 3 fill ups so far. First one came out to about 43 mpg with 87 octane E10. Second fill up was in the 50-51 mpg range with ethanol-free 93 octane. So far 3rd tank with ethanol-free looks like it will be a little better still. I'm extremely happy with those numbers. Sure beats my Jeeps 16-17 mpg.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
This reminds me of when I was in college, I lent my car to my girlfriend. She drove her friends from the Detroit, Michigan area out to Maine for a vacation. She was absolutly AMAIZED at the gas mileage that my '71 Gremlin got on this trip!!! What he didn't realize was she was buying Imperial Gallons to fill the car, on her trip across Ontario. Those gallons are much larger, hence the high mpg, but its not the same "g".
Do you buy gas in terms of gallons or in dollars ? In your friend's case, if he were to fill to the brim, he'll not be bothered to check how many gallons goes in. He'll just look at the fuel gauge for the next gas stop. The gas tank can only hold so much, irrespective of where it's Imperial or US gallons
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
Do you buy gas in terms of gallons or in dollars ? In your friend's case, if he were to fill to the brim, he'll not be bothered to check how many gallons goes in. He'll just look at the fuel gauge for the next gas stop. The gas tank can only hold so much, irrespective of where it's Imperial or US gallons
Quite true, however WE get to boast of BIG mileage numbers due to the larger gallon. For instance - the 56 mpgUS I get on my '08 translates to 70 mpgImperial, and I've had as high as 78 mpgImperial!

NOW, on the OTHER hand...

- gas here in BC where I live just went from $1.259L to $1.339L (long weekend coming...), which is $5.06/ US gallon at a 'par' $. And quite a bit of your US gas comes from Canada, but you're not as over-taxed as we are here in the Great White North.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode