Pulled Over By A Nice Cop On PCH Today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Pulled Over By A Nice Cop On PCH Today

Lots & Lots of cops out pulling over motorcycles today. Thier calling it "Operation Safe Canyons" Big reason is the motorcycle that hit the bicyclist on "The Snake" and Idiot Sportbike Riders riding like the canyons are thier own personal racetrack. The excuse he gave was bull crap but hey i'm glad to see them cracking down in that area. I've stopped going up that way because of all the A-Holes that ride there. Today was the first time in along time i've been up that way.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
He certainly spoke nice but that's about the only nice there was. I saw threats and fishing. He didn't pull you guys over to talk to you, he pulled you over because he was on a fishing trip.
I think he was wrong about the lighting on both bikes. I think supplamental lighting is ok as long as it's DOT approved and doesn't interfere with the operation of the factory lighting. But who knows, the CHP have their own rules. I don't know how accurate these are but it looks like he was making up the whole light thing.
http://www.avenger-valkyrie.org/lighting.htm
http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/lightslaws.html

Last edited by ray h; 05-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
He certainly spoke nice but that's about the only nice there was. I saw threats and fishing. He didn't pull you guys over to talk to you, he pulled you over because he was on a fishing trip.
I think he was wrong about the lighting on both bikes. I think supplamental lighting is ok as long as it's DOT approved and doesn't interfere with the operation of the factory lighting. But who knows, the CHP have their own rules. I don't know how accurate these are but it looks like he was making up the whole light thing.
http://www.avenger-valkyrie.org/lighting.htm
http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/lightslaws.html

He was fishing..Lots of guys out here buy a bike without having a license or insurance. He had a good attitude and wasn't being a D.I.C.K. so i have no problem with him. You gotta remember he deals with A-Holes all day long.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
He was fishing..Lots of guys out here buy a bike without having a license or insurance. He had a good attitude and wasn't being a D.I.C.K. so i have no problem with him. You gotta remember he deals with A-Holes all day long.
It's good you were happy with the encounter, I don't think I would've been.
I know he probably deals with assholes all day but you aren't an asshole, he would be out of line treating you as such, the last guy he stopped is irrelevant. I'm sure he wouldn't want you to treat him like **** because the last cop you talked to was a dick so why is it an excuse for him.
Anyways, I don't like fishing trips, I don't think you were doing anything wrong and he knew your lights were fine, that's why you didn't get a fix-it ticket, he didn't even tell you to remove them, that tells me they aren't illegal and he knew it. Call me crazy but I've got a real problem with him stopping you for doing nothing illegal.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 PM
MTS

Ok but what are you going to do about it?

I agree with weljo. Just let it go and go with the flow. At some point you do have to pick your battles.

The cool thing was having the whole pull over on film! Nice!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

I agree with weljo. Just let it go and go with the flow. At some point you do have to pick your battles.

Yep. It made for an interesting day.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:

Just because you can't do anything about it doesn't mean you have to like it.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:14 AM
MTS

Quote:
Just because you can't do anything about it doesn't mean you have to like it.
I got you! Just because I got the all clear, doesn't mean I liked being scoped at 50! LOL

Sorry bad example!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 05-12-2013 at 12:19 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I got you! Just because I got the all clear, doesn't mean I liked being scoped at 50! LOL

Sorry bad example!
The "scoping" isn't the bad part. The worse part is getting ready for the scope. Spending the whole day on the toilet and trying to drink 6 gallons of vomit-mix while still starving was way worse than the actual violation.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:28 AM
MTS

You got that right!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
Probably a good thing he wasn't behind you on this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_NzTWnQ_u5o

Hey. Lanesplittings legal here..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 AM

Have to agree, his tone was the only nice to be had here.

Made it sound like if you put a dam sticker on your bike you'd be in "violation of the vehicle code"

I might have told him all that chrome on his Harley is a safety hazard of all the bikes to pull over why a cruiser and a Versys?

Fishing for sure, checking helmet DOT's and questioning the stock tail light lol...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hey. Lanesplittings legal here..
unless the rider is exceeding the speed limit to do it and
not more than 10 MPH faster than traffic flow and not over 39 MPH

unless the rider is making excessive lanes changes and/or changing lanes without signaling

exceeding a safe relative speed to the automobiles.
Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic

Risk of getting a ticket: With respect to possible law enforcement action, keep in mind that it will be up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer to determine if riding behavior while lane splitting is or was safe and prudent.

I split everyday I commute but rarely unless the traffic is stopped or at a crawl.
Cars can't change lanes if standing still.

Last edited by Seeya; 05-12-2013 at 01:00 AM.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

unless the rider is making excessive lanes changes and/or changing lanes without signaling

Risk of getting a ticket: With respect to possible law enforcement action, keep in mind that it will be up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer to determine if riding behavior while lane splitting is or was safe and prudent.

I split everyday I commute but rarely unless the traffic is stopped or at a crawl.

Technicalities....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

So something more like this from todays ride

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 AM

In a free country the police shouldn't be bothering you because you are riding a motorcycle, they should stop you if they see you do something illegal or suspect you of doing something illegal.
I don't think he ever thought your lights were illegal and even if he did, why did he need to look at the inside of the helmet. That had nothing to do with the lights. As a matter of fact inspecting the inside of someone's helmet is the same as opening someone's saddlebag, glovebox, purse or going through their pockets, he has to have a reason to do that.
I'm sorry, I know it's not a big deal to you, or to most people I guess, but it really burns me to see these things happen.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
In a free country the police shouldn't be bothering you because you are riding a motorcycle, they should stop you if they see you do something illegal or suspect you of doing something illegal.
I don't think he ever thought your lights were illegal and even if he did, why did he need to look at the inside of the helmet. That had nothing to do with the lights. As a matter of fact inspecting the inside of someone's helmet is the same as opening someone's saddlebag, glovebox, purse or going through their pockets, he has to have a reason to do that.
I'm sorry, I know it's not a big deal to you, or to most people I guess, but it really burns me to see these things happen.
I'm with ray on this one. He was calm and never raised his voice but I still think he was being an @ss.

Unfortunately it's their game and you have to play it. In a situation like this even though he may not have technically had a sufficiently good enough reason to check the inside of the helmet it's not worth the hassle to argue and make a big deal about it. Arguing is only going to get you a citation or worse.

I think you guys handled the interaction perfectly and at the end of the day no harm was done and you guys got to enjoy the rest of your ride.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Garage
A basic standard throughout Canada and the US: police may stop any motor vehicle, on any roadway, at any time to verify (A) the licence of the driver, (B) the sobriety of the driver and (C) the documentation (ownership, permit, insurance etc) and/or safety of the vehicle.

Here's an experienced (older) officer, who safely stops 2 motorcyclists for an identifiable reason. He explains that reason and even provides education on the state law.

He checks DLs, standard, without even seeking any more documentation - so NOT fishing.

He never even checked the information on the DLs (to look for warrants or suspensions etc) NOT fishing.

He checks the ONE skid lid helmet (I assume weljo had a more obviously safe and legal bucket on?)

He is polite, professional and safe throughout his contact with these riders.

As any police officer does, he has the authority to use discretion in enforcement. He makes the decision to offer education to these riders and issues no tickets, sending them off after only a few minutes of interruption.

The police have a job to do. This guy did it right.

Always trust your cape.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
In my imho the cop was okay and was doing his job.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Banned

That's very typical Cali lane splitting (didn't watch it all)

Quote:
So something more like this from today's ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hZd5dy_HnU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode