Give your worst riding day story - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Give your worst riding day story

What is your worst riding day?

Mine was, I was a few hundred miles from home doing work at a company we have equipment in. When I was done there, I had a 300 mile trip up north to go to another company, and when I left to go up north, it was a very windy day. As I was riding my tires didnít seem to feel right so I pulled off the hwy into a gas station to check the tire pressures.

I must have check tire pressures on this Bonneville a few hundred times, but for some reason, the back tire valve stem got stuck in the open position and let the air all out when I used the tire pressure gauge, and since it was so windy and my ear plugs were still in, I didnít notice until it was too late and the tire was flat.

No problem I thought, I have a small air compressor that I used several times before, but it didnít power on this time. I found that the electrical outlet had a blown fuse. No problem, I carry spare fuses. So now the compressor is working but it is not putting out air as it always did before. No problem, way across the lot is a gas station pay-for-air-compressor. Pushing a bike with a lot of gear and tools on it when it has a flat is not easy. When I finally get to the compressor, it is out of order.

So I have an emergency road service plan Iíve paid for a decent amount of time but never used it. I call them up and they say filling up air is not in the plan. I get testy and tell them how long Iíve been giving them money and they darn well better come and give me a stinkiní shot of air. About an hour and a half later the truck comes with the air.

So Iím on my way up north finally, but several miles into the trip my bike completely dies on the hwy. Itís done it before but has a rough time starting up this time. After it starts and Iím in traffic trying to get back to a road to get me back on the hwy, it dies again in heavy traffic and people are not being patient with me to push my bike between them. On the side of the road it starts up and dies again just when I pull in traffic.

So now I try just to make it back home a few hundred miles and forget the other company, so I chance riding home. It turns cold and on the way home the bike died on me at least 10 more times. Some where the hwy shoulder was very steep and grassy. I left it in the dealerís lot. It was dark, cold and I felt miserable and exhausted.

Besides a motorcycle accident I had many years ago, that was the worst day of ďridingĒ I ever had and Murphyís Law was in full bloom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Hi Atgatt,

Mine was pushing my heavy BM for 3 kilometers (1.8 miles) in a thunderstorm.
The hall sensor kaput while I was overtaking a trailer at 120km/h (75 miles/hr). That was also a close call. (I think someone must also raise a new thread titled "My closest Call".
SNAFU became FUBAR and Murphy's Law ruled the land.
I pushed my beloved bike to the closest rain shelter I could find.
I also did not want to leave it beside the road as visibility was bad and it pose a danger to other moving vehicles.

Waited there for 4 hours under the flyover till the pick up came.
That was the deal cruncher that sealed my BM fate.
When on the search for a new bike and fell in Love with the V after trying my brother's V.

Thinking back now, most important is riding from/to home safely everyday and in one piece.

Have a Great day...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Never really had a "bad" day. It's all better than work...but...I did learn that you cannot follow any sort of box truck, even at 10 mph, because you can't see over them, let alone around. I was following one at a crawl when I realized he went through a red light that I absolutely could not see until you were UNDER it and thankfully the traffic saw me before I was t-boned.....all it would have taken was someone who wanted to "jump" the light and the result may have been different. Lesson...stay way back.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to kfallscody
My worst day riding actually had nothing to do with riding! Lose ya already? Yeah I though so.

I should start by saying that I had my sewer line replaced near the end of last summer. They did most of it trenchless but they had to dig up wherever there were joints in the pipe, as they can only do trenchless runs in a straight pull. Anyway, one of the places they dug up was right next to my car port, where I keep my bike.

Fast forward to a bit over a week ago I get my new bike('09 blue versys) and put it where my old Ninja 250 used to live. Well for most of last week we got rain and snow, which was heartbraking with a new bike going unused!

So Friday comes around, the sun is out and it is a balmy 42 degrees so I decide to go for a ride. I start up the V, let it warm up while I finish getting my gear on. I get on it and push the bike backwards, as I can not go forward where it is parked. I come off the cement and can feel the resistance of the mud but think nothing of it. The front tire comes off, rolls a few inches and stops. I give the bars a yank while trying to push the bike back and the bike makes barely and inch of movement. So I do the old trick where you lock the front brake, push forward on the bars, then yank back while releasing the brake..always worked before but this time, no luck. I try a few times and am making no progress at all. I look down there to see what is going on and I notice my front tire sinking where the driveway had been dug up. It seems the guys had failed to pack the dirt back down as it was a very soupy mess.

The front tire stopped sinking only because the engine was sitting on the hard ground that had not been dug up. I could get off the bike and it would remain upright, well not counting the near 45 degree forward angle of the bike. The top of the tire was just barely above the level of the surrounding dirt. So I sit there and think for a few about how I am going to get my beloved bike out of this pit. I tried hooking some ratchet straps to the tubes under the seat and pulling the bike out, no luck.

I ended up having to put some boards on each side of the tire to stand on. I then had to squat down, put my hands through the front tire and lift the bike up, which proved harder than I thought as the mud had a suction effect on the tire. Once I had the tire out of the pit, I had to shuffle over until I could set the front tire down on some harder ground. Now thankfully I am a bit of a gym rat so I was confident I could lift that much weight, however it was quite awkward to do so. My biggest worry, of course, was the bike falling over while setting it down. The bike did try to lean to the side but I was able to keep it upright and scratch free!

Now that I had my beloved bike out of the pit of despaire, I had to push it over near the hose so I could spray all of the mud and rocks out of the tire and rotors. After that was all done, I had to wipe off the sweat, gear back up and had a lovely ride, apart from my fingers going numb..

You can bet I put a number of rocks in that pit and have boards I will be putting over the area when I get my bike out.. I won't be pulling my bike out of anymore pits anytime soon

Remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 PM

Back in college I had a Honda CL100. It was a typical UJM. It was my only transportation other than a bicycle. I loved riding but I grew to hate that old bike. I came out of class one cold rainy evening, went over to the bike, and for no particular reason at all it decided not to start. It was a kick-start, no electric ignition. And it was a four stroke, so not like kick-starting a dirt bike. I kicked and kicked and kicked ... choke in. ... choke out ... kick kick kick ... it was dark, cold, drizzly wet, and I was getting more and more miserable. There was no hill anywhere to try to bump start it, and it was small but it was heavy enough to be awful to try to push. I kicked at it for a good 20 min to half hour. Stopped and stared at it, wondered how was I to get home ... kicked it some more. Another 15 minutes pass. Kicked till my leg was wobbly. Was almost going to give up ... and it started.

And it ran just fine. It was the weirdest thing. But I'll never own a kick start only bike again.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM

3 words: Honda VFR rectifier.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 AM

The day where I went home with my left calf looking like the first pic and had to have the 2nd pic done to it a few weeks later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Legclose640x480.jpg (164.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg CalfStaplesFriday8-3-07-640x480.jpg (224.9 KB, 90 views)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 AM

My story isn't that bad. Last summer was my first riding season. I was taking the scenic route home, enjoying a fine day, and uncharacteristically allowed my mind to wander. When I resumed paying attention, I saw that a car was stopped ahead of me in my lane, waiting to turn left. I managed to stop in time by frantic brake-pumping, with my little ninja doing a series of nose-dives. I'd practiced panic stops before (or so I thought), but it was nothing like trying it in the real world. You can't fake panic, after all.

So really I was lucky and I haven't let my mind wander beyond my helmet again.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gorilla View Post
The day where I went home with my left calf looking like the first pic and had to have the 2nd pic done to it a few weeks later.
What happened that caused this injury? The graft, was it laboratory grown?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 AM

I was on higway 395, halfway between Burns Oregon and Lakeview OR-i.e. absolutely in the middle of nowhere.
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=42....keview%20or%20

Those that know the area, know there is nothing around, no cell service no people, nada.

Got a flat in my brand new Road Pilot rear tire. There was no shoulder on the road, so couldn't pull off to the side, plus there were rumble strips, so I couldn't even get right on the edge of the road.

Trucks would pass so close the bike would threaten to tip into the ditch. Fixed the flat with a plug and small electric pump, limped into Lakeview. First gas station had no air line, second gas station was closed, but did have an old air line that I was able to top up with.

Plug wouldn't hold, so had to stop every 100 miles or so and top up. Got to my destination Denver CO and had to buy a new tire.

Was on my new to me Honda 1300ST, hated the bike so much, sold it after I got home three weeks later.

Machog

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to kfallscody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Those that know the area, know there is nothing around, no cell service no people, nada.
That is very true, talk about a barren wasteland out there! I have actually avoided riding in that area for that very reason From Lakeview to Denver, that is some serious limping along geeeezzz

Remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM

my worst day whas when i just owned my first bike for just 4 days had made a trip to my grandpa to show off my new bike (triumph legend) it was a great day when i left but going home it started raining this isn't the bad part after an hours drive i turned in to our street and just 40 meters from home a man whas walking his dog unleased and the dog toukof under my wheel went down whit just 680km on the clock 900euro damage and the dog dead
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregScuba View Post
What happened that caused this injury? The graft, was it laboratory grown?
High-sided on a mountain road. Landed on my head and left shoulder. Concussion with retrograde amnesia; was out for 3-4 minutes. Separated left shoulder with 3 torn ligaments, dislocated right shoulder with torn labrum, cracked the 2nd and 3rd ribs on the left. Herniated a couple discs in my back which resulted in osteophytes (bone spurs) that dig into the nerves in a couple of spots. Slid/rolled into a ditch on the inside of the road and the bike followed me in and layed on top of me while the guys riding with me caught up. The Joe Rocket Phoenix pants I was wearing didn't show anything on the calf (at least judging by the pics), but the header's collector or midpipe was resting right on my calf.

The graft's from my left thigh.

Yes, I still ride.

Calf looks like this now:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calf04042008.jpg (93.0 KB, 89 views)
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM

OK, as long as we're doing this... I didn't do this riding, but rather wrenching. Ran my fingers through a sprocket while oiling the chain on another bike. Boy did I feel stupid! Happened a year ago next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thewave.jpg (47.2 KB, 120 views)

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Spidey - I investigated an accident where the exact same thing happened to a guy who was cleaning/lubing a chain on a stationary bike. Same two fingers. Ouch! sorry about that.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 PM

I was riding my little brothers Yamaha 80 near the continental divide in MT. On the way up to my destination the bike started running bad and then quit. For some reason that I can't remember (it was a long time ago) I just knew that it was a clogged up baffle in the muffler. However, young son forgot to put the tool kit back on the bike after his last tinkering session. I pushed that bike a good 3 miles uphill and coasted the other 7 or 8 to get home. And you know he can still out run me to this day. And it was the baffle. All I needed was one very small 10mm wrench.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 PM

I dunno Gorilla...People give me s*** about my "little chicken strips", but highsiding scares the crap outa me. I'm a self employed contractor and my bod is my life, no work, no pay and no comp... and your story won't make them disappear or get smaller anytime soon

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
I dunno Gorilla...People give me s*** about my "little chicken strips", but highsiding scares the crap outa me. I'm a self employed contractor and my bod is my life, no work, no pay and no comp... and your story won't make them disappear or get smaller anytime soon
I'm with you contractor. Riding fast sure is fun and I'm definitely an adrenlin junkie - but - there sure is a downside to reckless acts. Our old buddy Clint Eastwood says " a man's got to know his limitations". Well, I'm not sure its all that important to find them anymore. Course, I'm gettin old and feeling a lot less invinceable these days.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
my worst day whas when i just owned my first bike for just 4 days had made a trip to my grandpa to show off my new bike (triumph legend) it was a great day when i left but going home it started raining this isn't the bad part after an hours drive i turned in to our street and just 40 meters from home a man whas walking his dog unleased and the dog toukof under my wheel went down whit just 680km on the clock 900euro damage and the dog dead
arjan, many years ago I bought a brand new BMW R80RT (it was 800cc). I was just short of worshipping it as a motorcycle god, I "loved" it so much. The next day after I bought it I was at my cousin's house and his son kept wanting to touch my new bike and I told him to please try to keep his fingerprints off it.

So later we were all going to go somewhere, me on my bike and my cousin's whole family in their car, which was parked right behind my bike. So they're all in their car watching me as I take my brand new bike off the center stand, lose my control of it as it moved foward and it fell in the opposite direction from me. I was speechless, and all I could think about is my cousin's son who watched it all, think of me and say in his head, "That idiot drops his brand new bike and yet he scolds me for just touching it."

I feel your pain.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Day 2 of my "Calgary to Alaska" ride in 2007 on my KLR650.
We started out wearing rain gear as we'd heard thunder all night, and sure enough it started to 'spit' just as we pulled out of the campground. By 30 minutes later it was pouring, what I would classify as RW++ (VERY heavy rain showers), probably the HEAVIEST rain I'd ever experienced including flying C-130s in the Airforce all over the globe! By the time we got to Grande Prairie, Alberta, we needed gas, so, as none of the stations had a cover, we just pulled into a convenient one. I gas up while straddling my bikes (so I can get the MOST into it), so I opened the gas cap and reached left for the pump while standing in a large puddle. As the bike 'tipped' a bit left as I leaned to the pump, suddenly the tires (knobbies) started to slip to the right in the mud that a truck had dropped there, but I couldn't get traction to my MX boots as THEY were in mud too and were sliding TOO!
I started yelling for help as the inexorable slide continued despite my efforts to stop it, and now my left mirror was against the pump and trying to fold as the bike slid lower.
FINALLY the gas station attendant ran out and helped me get the bike upright, and I motioned my buddy to follow and took off for another station that MIGHT not have mud around the pumps...
We found one a few miles later and gassed up OK (in the pouring rain, of course!), then went in to pay for it. Everything went OK till I put my wallet inside my leathers and started zipping my rain suit - the friggin' zipper came apart ! Thank goodness it (a Motoboss...) has a velcro strip outside of the zipper so I was able to do it up and stay relatively dry.
We rode through about 8 hours of that RW++ with lightning at times hitting just off the sides of the road and nowhere we could hide or take shelter, but then it stopped raining a half hour before we pulled into a campground for the night.
Might not have been my WORST riding day, but it certainly made it into the 'TOP TEN'!
Cheers,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode