Toll Road experiences anyone? [decals/transponders] - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Toll Road experiences anyone? [decals/transponders]

All good things must come to an end I guess. About 3 years ago, one of my local tollways did away completely with both "manned" booths and baskets. The choice became buy a battery powered "clip on the visor type transponder" or a 5 dollar credit card sized decal with a tiny [rfid?] chip in it that stickers to the inside of the windshield OR toll by plate where they send you a bill in the mail every month to the owner of the plate. The catch is that toll by plate costs 25 cents extra per segment. [With either transponder you keep some specified balance in an account which they replenish automatically from one's checking account] Obviously the decal is the way to go because it is basically free because you get a 5 dollar credit to your account. BUT, they also told me [three different folks] it won't work on a motorcycle because a car windshield acts as an antenna and a small fairing on a motorcycle won't work. I call Bull$hit. So I asked them [3 years ago] IF the battery powered transponder would work while in my pocket and they said they did not know. I was so pissed that I just started riding and lo and behold, never received any bill from them at all even though I have commuted hundreds of time on it...

Finally received my first bill from them about 6 weeks ago showing ALL of my "segments" but ONLY for the last month. So either they were not charging for motorcycles or somehow they could not read my plate? Or maybe they just recently got better cameras?

I just got a second bill from them and this time around they have missed almost half of my segments. I am tempted to cough up 5 bucks for the sticker and try it but I feel sure it WILL work and then they will surely charge me every time. I think i will just wait on my next bill to see if their batting average continues to drop. If I can use a decal, it's 4 bucks a day or 5 bucks a day for toll by plate. Not the end of the world...

Just curious how others have handled daily commutes on toll roads and if in fact the decals do or can work?

It annoys me to no end that a 400 pound motorcycle pays the same rate as a 4,000 or much heavier car or truck...

Last edited by SLAFFA; 05-11-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: title chnage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 AM

I don't commute daily on a motorcycle but I regularly hop on the MassPike to get through Connecticut River Valley traffic and hit the twisties of western Massachusetts. For my Versys, I carry the transponder inside the small top pocket of my Manta tank bag. Works great.

I used to carry it in my jacket pocket and the one time it didn't work (on a bridge in New York) I had to hand it to the toll taker, which involved digging it out of my pocket, which involved removing a glove, which was a PITA especially with impatient motorists on your 6. Wherever you located it, make sure it's accessible.

Can't help you with the decal, but I'm curious how others have faired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If I had to ride on toll roads to get to work I would reserve riding for evenings and weekends. My ride to work is 20 miles of two lane and 6 miles on a parkway. My ride home is 6 miles on a parkway and 30 miles of two lane. From my house to work I encounter one stop sign and 3 traffic lights. The 6 miles on the parkway can suck if I finish work at the wrong time (when everyone else is trying to go home). I will either continue working, or go to the gym before heading home when that happens.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM

I've got one of the larger, deck-of-cards-sized transponders for the tolls around Austin. I leave it in my side cases (seahorse) and never think about it. I see my rides on the roads show up on the monthly statements, but I've never taken the time to audit the report too closely to see if it registers every ride. But, I also go out of my way to avoid tolls whenever practical, both on the bike and cars, so it's not part of my daily ride...

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAFFA View Post
...It annoys me to no end that a 400 pound motorcycle pays the same rate as a 4,000 or much heavier car or truck...
SLIGHT change of subject - on my last Alaska trip we pulled into a campground in Skagway (two KLRs), and ended up having to pay the SAME rate as a 45' long motorhome with water, sewage and electrical hook-ups for two small tents (around $40)....

We paid, but sure weren't happy.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM

I use this and I've found it more hassle-free than trying to remember the transponder in my jacket pocket:

http://www.jjcyclepass.com/bike3.htm

Walter
IBA# 55188

2009 Versys
Givi V35 sidecases w/ Admore lights
SW-Motech rear rack
Givi windscreen
First Gear dual heat-troller
Thermo-Bob
Denali D2D LED driving lights
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
SLIGHT change of subject - on my last Alaska trip we pulled into a campground in Skagway (two KLRs), and ended up having to pay the SAME rate as a 45' long motorhome with water, sewage and electrical hook-ups for two small tents (around $40)....

We paid, but sure weren't happy.
Last July in Colorado I spent $10 to have a specific spot reserved at a state campground near Lake Granby. I found out that I would not make it there due to a change in itenerary and called to cancel my reservation (and forfeit my $10) in case the place was full and someone might need the spot I had reserved. The lady told me there would be a $20 fee to cancel my $10 reservation... I told her to disregard. Duh..

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys and I checked the ad for the transponder holder Walter. Their ad says it won't work in Florida for the Sun Pass which is the road I use.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Last July in Colorado I spent $10 to have a specific spot reserved at a state campground near Lake Granby. I found out that I would not make it there due to a change in itenerary and called to cancel my reservation (and forfeit my $10) in case the place was full and someone might need the spot I had reserved. The lady told me there would be a $20 fee to cancel my $10 reservation... I told her to disregard. Duh..

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode