Electrical Fuses in Series? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Electrical Fuses in Series?

I plan on adding these electrical accesories to my Versys 1) Louder horns, 2) Driving lights, 3) Heated Grips with heat-troller, 4) heated jacket and pant liners with dual heat-troller.

Since I use the space under the seat for my Kawasaki U-Lock, I am planning to run a heavy guage wire (or wires?) from the battery to the under dashboard to an added fuse block, then to the accessories (controlled by relays triggered by a circuit that only comes on with the ignition on).

So my question is - Do I also need to put an additional fuse at or near the battery connection under the seat? That is to say, in series with the new fuse block under the dashboard? Or would that be over doing it? Does it make sense to wire fuses in series? Such as a 30 A at the battery, and several 10 or 15 A fuses in the new fuse block under the dashboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM

That's exactly what I did. I put an in-line 30A fuse on the hot lead from the battery to the fuse block. All the installations I looked at had that in-line fuse.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:03 PM

It's not a bad idea. In that configuration, it protects your battery if the heavy gauge supply wire shorts, although that is unlikely. If anything after the fuse block shorts, the lower amp fuse on the affected circuit(s) would blow instead.

Without that in-line fuse, if the supply wire's insulation is compromised, your battery will discharge (regardless whether or not the bike's ignition is on) and it could possibly overheat, leak and/or explode.

Small price for some extra protection, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode