Soft luggage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Soft luggage

Does anyone know of some textile saddlebags that will fit and still allow a passenger to use the rear pegs? This has been a problem for me with the last couple bikes I've owned so i got rid of my saddlebags all together. Before I go spend the money I'd like to know if they'll work with a passenger. If not, i'll just go with a top box and maybe some tank panniers. thanks.

kf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:43 AM

You might consider these:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-16158.html

I have not used them, but others say they work with a passenger. See the photo with them on the bike.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Motorcycle Superstore in Oregon, sells these Dowco for about $59.99. They work well for my wife (who took the picture), she's 5'8" and about 120lbs. Since this shot was taken, I've put Speedy passenger peg extensions on, but that was unrelated to the bags. She needed a bit more leg room.

Not a great shot, but you get the idea.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM

I had these on my Seca, but admittedly I have never tried them on the Versys. I might go out tonight and try to fit them just to see, but I have the "factory" saddle bags and the mount might get in the way. They worked very well on my Seca II, even with a passenger.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...-p-149_31.html
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 PM

I have these on. I haven't had a passenger on the bike with the saddlebags but it looks like it would work.
I'm sorry the pic is at night but you see the bags pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03467.JPG (578.7 KB, 161 views)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 PM

I use RKA bags on my V and have been way happy with them. Haven't had a passenger but I don't see where they would have a problem.

Edited with pics:

Last edited by Enemy Zero; 03-11-2009 at 10:41 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 AM

Just to confirm - these soft saddle bags don't require any additional racks/support? Just strap them to the frame structure below the seat so they don't lift? Never gone this route but considering it...

Love the look of the hard Givi's etc...just can't seem to want to cough up the $$$ to make it happen for only occasional use...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Machog,
I'm thinking about getting the same set as you. Any issues with yours? They mount OK? Any paint rub? I found them online for $63, which sounds like a pretty good deal.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:37 PM

No problems. I put the the straps under the seat and it can be a bit tricky getting the seat locked down. Keep the straps short, then the bags don't bend under the seat. Had no problem rubbing.

The biggest problem was getting the stiffening plastic inserted into the bags-you'll know what I mean when you get them!

Had them for a year plus and used them camping-motelling two up etc-for the money 7 their light weight you can't beat them.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM

No additional hardware on mine either. They just strap on over the seat and through parts of the frame wherever you can tie off.

As long as you tighten them down tight enough (unlike what I seem to have done in the pictures) they don't sag, and they stay firm the whole way. The ones in the pic are actually my father's (which he's had for almost 15 years now), but I liked them so much, I bought a set myself. Found a smokin' deal on ebay and couldn't pass them up.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 AM

I got a set of the Cortech Sport bags (saddlebags as well as the trunk bag). They're perfect for short trips and commuting, and the trunk bag snaps right on & off to use a briefcase. My daughter rode for a short time with me and didn't have any problems with the pegs. Seems like the entire set-up was around $125-140 (but I don't exactly remember). Saddlebags attach with strong velcro straps across the seat and nylon straps with buckles to the under frame. Highly recommended.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 AM

Last night I ordered the Dowco's and a set of Acerbis hand guards. The Aerostitch and Tourmaster look nice, but at half the price I'll try the Dowco first. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Ted

So, Motocox, how did you like them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode