Tank Bag Recommendations - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tank Bag Recommendations

I'm in the market for a tank bag. I've seen some as big as a suitcase! That's NOT what I'm looking for. A clear top cover so as to position map as well as room for my GPS, ability to stuff 2nd set of gloves inside bag, phone, various other small items.

What do y'all suggest? And, it would seem the "magnetic" type bags wouldn't work on our Versys (due to the side panels being plastic.) Therefore, we need the strap type fastening system. Correct?

And . . . while I'm asking for the moon . . . I don't want to pay an arm and a leg . . . maybe just a couple fingers worth.

Suggestions?! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM

I've got the Wolfman Rainier. Works great, but not cheap. Might be bigger than you want, too-
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Wolfman. Great bags.

I ended up replacing my Wolfman tank bag with a Givi tank lock bag. The Givi is nice because the bag is suspended over the tank and nothing sits on the paint to scratch it. It's also very easy to remove for fueling.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Some of the smaller magnetic bags will work. Don't overlook the tank lock type with the locking ring that mounts around the gas filler cap. Givi and Bags Connection both have this style with Bags Connection having a large selection.

Of course neither Givi or Bags Connection will satisfy your price point.

Inexpensive is going to mean buying used or going with the strap or magnetic bags.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Wow, (to the Givi Tank Lock Bag) did a quick Google for that product. That is definitely the newest type I've seen but it is rather pricey (looks like around $150.) Let's see what other suggestions come in. I may end up going used/cheap until Christmas. If i'm REAL good till then, maybe Santa will surprise me! (I have to remember to forward this Forum thread to my wife)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM

I like Kriega systems cause you can combine them and set them up on the tank or on the passenger seat, and just pile them up as you need. 100% waterproof.
http://www.kriega.us/us-tank-bag-adaptor/

Only thing missing is a transparent pocket for a map.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Garage
Have a tank bag that hook via stap and plastic connection like on backpack, but it was not answering all my need because the strapp could be remove or cut and then the bag be stolen.
I could have unhook all to store in the side case, but this eas a pia to do so, especialy to rehook, so instead, I decided to put a thank ring

Went for this
So I cutted the plastic clip off and also the "bib" front and rear (was render useless now, bonus is that the rain cover now fit so much better AND stays on) and now when I stop on a ride, I snap off the bag, put it it in the side case and don't heave to worry about getting it stolen OR having to empty it's content

Sorry, can't find the model/brand of my bag, but it would fit you request as far as volume and price ... Will check what's what when I return home tonight and comment back with the info

My 2 cents

LOP
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Garage
I have a Wolfman Explorer Lite that I just picked up this winter at AeroStich

So far I'm very happy with it, fits the bike well, holds enough but yet it is small enough to clear the bars well.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....&product_id=82

I can photo if you want.

Mitch
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/closeouts/luggage/

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
...What do y'all suggest? And, it would seem the "magnetic" type bags wouldn't work on our Versys (due to the side panels being plastic.) Therefore, we need the strap type fastening system. Correct?

And . . . while I'm asking for the moon . . . I don't want to pay an arm and a leg . . . maybe just a couple fingers worth.

Suggestions?! Thanks.
Here's two pics of the "T-BAGS" tank bag I have for the GREEN HORNET, and here's a link:
http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=47&SelectedCat=4
It's magnetic, expandable, comes w/ a rain-cover. 'Bout $100.

(Though I have a different one on BIG RED, I'm thinking of getting another "T-BAGS" to replace it.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08190 copy.jpg (54.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08191 copy.jpg (48.7 KB, 118 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM

Garage
I have a cortech super mini magnetic base. It fits on my tank just fine. Has one zippered pocket that can hold phone, extra chargers and cords, gloves, spare flashlight, sunglasses case and other odds and ends, plus a map pocket and an external small zippered pocket.

Seems to work fine for me.

'09 Versys
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
I'm in the market for a tank bag. I've seen some as big as a suitcase! That's NOT what I'm looking for. A clear top cover so as to position map as well as room for my GPS, ability to stuff 2nd set of gloves inside bag, phone, various other small items.

What do y'all suggest? And, it would seem the "magnetic" type bags wouldn't work on our Versys (due to the side panels being plastic.) Therefore, we need the strap type fastening system. Correct?

Suggestions?! Thanks.

Have you checked out the Nelson-Rigg CL-1010?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Check the SHAD as well. Don't have pictures available but hit Bruce at [email protected] for more details.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 PM

I have the bags connection unit that locks on to the gas cap. Snaps on, pull a lanyard, and it's off. I also have a ring mounted on the Ducati so I can use the bag on either bike. Go to Twisted Throttle to see them.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Marsee 1.5 liter tank bag

Just scored a Marsee 1.5 liter (apologies to our blokes for spelling of liter) tank bag (5x7-inch base) from Racer Parts Wholesale; $12. Same bag with magnetic mount is $25. Also ordered Cortech Dryver Motorcycle Tank Bag Gas Cap Mounting Ring Set from Bike Bandit; $18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marsee tank bag.jpg (33.0 KB, 91 views)

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM

I have a Wolfman Explorer Lite that I have used on my klr and Versys. It fits the versys well and had enough room for tank bag stuff. The sidewalks have lost some of their stiffness and now the bag slumps slightly to one side. I will keep it for my drz but plan on getting a tank lock bag from TT .... The Bags Connection series "Trial" model.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Have a tank bag that hook via stap and plastic connection like on backpack, but it was not answering all my need because the strapp could be remove or cut and then the bag be stolen.
I could have unhook all to store in the side case, but this eas a pia to do so, especialy to rehook, so instead, I decided to put a thank ring

Went for this
So I cutted the plastic clip off and also the "bib" front and rear (was render useless now, bonus is that the rain cover now fit so much better AND stays on) and now when I stop on a ride, I snap off the bag, put it it in the side case and don't heave to worry about getting it stolen OR having to empty it's content

Sorry, can't find the model/brand of my bag, but it would fit you request as far as volume and price ... Will check what's what when I return home tonight and comment back with the info

My 2 cents

LOP
Update may 11

My tankbag is a rapid transit recon bought 3 or 4 years ago
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

I pulled the trigger on the Sedici Garda bag from my local Cycle Gear. It was on sale for $45. It uses straps to secure. Seems like it will be the right size for my needs. I'll let you know if I encounter any problems. Thanks for all the advice. I liked that I could actually put my hands on the bag and also support the guys at Cycle Gear. Over the years, the folks at the 3 Houston stores have ALWAYS been incredibly nice and helpful.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A...p/41277_438540
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode