Iowa March 6/09 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Iowa March 6/09

Iowa in early March...pretty (brown) ain't it? It has been unseasonably warm here the last couple of days and I took full advantage...total of over 8 hours in the saddle...I need to look into that gel-seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04453a.jpg (218.9 KB, 75 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:48 PM

I got the gel seat and it really isn't more comfortable. I would look at the other links about reworking the stock seat or buying a custom if you got the bucks.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Iowa riding

Hey, I was out today and did the 40 mile trip to the store that I could walk to. Where you at in Iowa? In Dubuque there is an upholstery shop that did my seat and it is a lot better. If you are not too far from here you could check it out. pm or email me.

Paul

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM

I switched to a Corbin seat - it feels great, because it fits my "sit bones". It looks great too. It's well worth the money.

I've read alot of posts from people who were disapointed with gel type seats.

I have had only limited success rebuilding seats for other bikes that I've owned. There is a couple seat threads on this forum that have lots of interesting info and opinions.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Hey, I was out today and did the 40 mile trip to the store that I could walk to. Where you at in Iowa? In Dubuque there is an upholstery shop that did my seat and it is a lot better. If you are not too far from here you could check it out. pm or email me.

Paul
Sigourney...south east.

Could you send a pic of your new seat? jim
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM

LuckyDuck, What is the name of the upholstery shop and address. I am halfway beween Dubuque and Maquoketa. Leisure lake. About 20 miles from you. Did ride about 150 miles the other day when it was warm.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Runde Upholstry on Cedar Cross road did the work. It was $50 and he did it while I stood around and then sat on it a couple times to get it "right".

I do not have a good picture of it. In photos, it doesn't look any different. Basically we used the same feel of foam, added 1/2" from about 4" up from the back all the way to the front. Then another 1/2" from the very front for about 5" back. Then sanded it smooth and kept the same width. It gives a little pocket to sit in. Not as good as the Corbin on my old bike, but the price was right. Haven't really done anything longer than an hour at a time on it as it is cold out.

Sigourney, that is south. I was down that way last spring to buy some shoe making equipment in Letts.

Paul
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 PM

Sent you a PM. LuckyDuck. I know where Cedar Cross road is so will keep it in mind. If this stock seat bothers me i will contact you and look at your seat. I just can't have one that puts me any higher. My bike is lowered now. Had a corbin on several BMW's and a couple Guzzi's and loved them. Did raise me a tiny bit though. Like you i need warm weather to even try the stock seat. Won't do anything until then. Some seem to like it. 150 miles last week seemed fine on it. Hunted squirrels in a woods in Letts years ago. Small world. Have to find out about your shoe business. See you on the road.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Hi where in iowa do you live?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM

Anybody in iowa that would like to get together and ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode