big guy on a small bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
big guy on a small bike?

hey im new to the fourm, but i had a question or two. Im a big guy at 6'3" 350 and im curious as to how the versys will handel my weight. I had origanally looked at a kawisaki vulcan 900 cruiser but when i saw the versys i fell in love. im also reletivley new to riding obout a year now on an old honda vf 1100. But, its not reliable, and i need something to commute to work and school very soon. Just thought Id see what you guys think. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
I'm 6', 285 and have no quams about the bike...love it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to kfallscody
I am 6'4" 275lbs and it is LOADS better than my Ninja 250 was.. I would say, at least from my limited experience with my new versys, that power shouldn't be a huge problem.

Remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM

First off, welcome to the forum. Now..

Small bike? A 33" seat height and 59hp/393lb bike is small? If you want small, check out the Eliminator or Honda Rebel. Those are small. (The large Vulcan you were looking at has a 26.8" seat height and makes 58hp but weighs 557lbs.)

I'm about 80lbs lighter than you and it has plenty of oomph. It has very good suspension that is adjustable (front & rear) so I think you will find it will accommodate you well. Of course, best to try it before you buy it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:37 PM

I'm a big ol' boy, and the V fits me great.

did order some footpeg lowering blocks from Speedy, and looking into a more comfy seat for long rides though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguy View Post
hey im new to the fourm, but i had a question or two. Im a big guy at 6'3" 350 and im curious as to how the versys will handel my weight. I had origanally looked at a kawisaki vulcan 900 cruiser but when i saw the versys i fell in love. im also reletivley new to riding obout a year now on an old honda vf 1100. But, its not reliable, and i need something to commute to work and school very soon. Just thought Id see what you guys think. Thanks
I am 6'3" 350 lbs also. The V is my first bike and I love it. The seat kills me after about 45 mins but it has plenty of power for my needs.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 PM

6'8" 330lbs when i bought it the bike, I've lost 40lbs since then, and it rocked my pants off compared to my EX-500. It's the best all purpose bike that I have ever ridden.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM

buy peg bracketss

You'll probably appreciate a set of footpeg lowering brackets with your height. I used a gel pad to gain an inch of height and I liked it alot better for longer trips on the highway, but the lowering pegs do the same thing. It's got lots of pep and suspension for your size.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:52 AM

Seems the big fella's do like the versys. plenty of grunt as i'm also 6'3" and 286
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 AM

theres two types of big here

height wise, at 6'3".. you wont have a problme.. I'm 6'4" and don't feel the need to resort to footpeg lowering blocks

weight wise, Im a wee bit lighter... around 250lbs, but I'd be surprised if you had any significant speed issues. yes you are going to be slower on acceleration, heavier (pun intended) on the brakes but the V should suit you fine. the bike delivers a claimed 59 BHP so it should be good enough for most owners purposes

if you ride in a group, say of other V's you may have a slight problem, but I doubt it.

effectively you are carrying around, say, a pillion passenger.
so the bike
will be slower to accelerate
will be slower to brake
will be quicker into the corner, and slower out of the corner

just make sure you ride your bike at the speeds you are comfortable with and I doubt you will see a problem. but if you try to keep up with the hooligan boy racers you might come unstuck if they are close to their limits, you may well be over your limits
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the input i went do a local dealer today and sat on one and i really like it. But it will be hard to get over the cruiser mentality that ive had for so long lol.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
thanks for all the input i went do a local dealer today and sat on one and i really like it. But it will be hard to get over the cruiser mentality that ive had for so long lol.
The first step is realizing you have a problem. The second step is buying a full-face helmet. This will start you on your recovery path from cruiser syndrome. Just kidding, just kidding.

Good luck with whatever you choose. If your heart is really set on a cruiser, this bike probably won't be for you. But if you give it a chance, I think you might find it will be a very good addition to your stable, especially for commuting. Just my two cents.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:39 PM

I am 6' 4" and 363 lbs.

Biggest guy here yet. No problem. She pulls me up to speed no problem; I even put an extra 100 lbs on her when I tour. No worries. You are fine!

Kris
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Does this bike make me look fat? No, it's the layers of clothing I have under my jacket...it's cold here in Iowa in early March!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04452aaaaa.jpg (429.3 KB, 64 views)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Demo both, that fixed me in one ride. I tried all three Vulcan 900's just after demoing the Versys. The 900's are nice bikes but felt like riding in a pickup truck after being in a Corvette. I had a Vulcan 500 before and was sure I was getting a 900 custom. I'm so glad I tried the Versys first. I wouldn't consider going back now. The handling, riding positon and performance of the Versys is just that much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode