Off Road - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Off Road

Hello all, nice to be here and hoprfuly a few of you can help me.
I'm planning on getting my Versys soon but i was just wondering how good it is off road, i'm planning on riding 80% on tar and maybe 20% easy dirt roads, not Enduro or anything harsh like that. Is the Versys a capable gravel roader ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM

From what I've read elsewhere on the forum the answer is yes. Lots of other threads on this topic, including various tire choices, pros, cons etc. Suggest using the Search feature. Cheers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 AM

I spent last weekend in the dirt in Chloride, NM. Nice forest service roads, hard pack. and some mild rocks. Handles fine with the right tires, but it IS NOT a dirt bike. You could do some major$$ mods to it and it would be super dirt worthy, other than the can hanging down there- it's kinda vulnerable.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM

Needs better tires

The handling is great, but different tires are definitely in order. The stockers are constantly slipping and skipping around on gravel. The short wheelbase and steep rake needs some reliable rubber to handle the dirt, even if it's only a smooth dirt road. However, it's easy to tell that the potential is there. I'm looking forward to wearing out the stockers so that I can get some good grip on the bike. I don't even care for stock grip on dry, smooth, and warm asphalt. I locked up the rear the other day during a pretty mild slow-down and didn't even realize that it was sliding at first. No problem with high siding, since there wasn't enough grip to snag anyway. If you've ever pushed a tire to the point of tread showing and then slid on it (not a good idea), that's what it felt like. Kind of a 'papery' feel - and I know now what the guys are talking about when they mention the lack of feel in the rear brakes. From slow to slide - with little feeling of transition. I hate to keep comparing the Vee to my Ninja, but the little 500 had some killer brakes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Here is a series of article written by guys who dual sport the Versys a bit...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...pirelli-tires/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode