Another top box mounting option - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another top box mounting option

I've used it this way, but there's still some cosmetic detail to finish. If there's interest I can post more detailed pics after it's complete.

I've had a top case mounted to a rear rack before. Carries the weight higher and further back and makes the bike behave worse in crosswinds. The only thing I'd used the pillion seat of my Versys for was soft luggage. So why not put hard luggage there too? I should be able to get a rider backrest from this as well.

If you like top box plus crap strapped to the seat, this way is limiting. I've never needed both--though I can see the point. For example climbing rope might be good to put on the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3693.jpg (35.5 KB, 250 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM

How exactly did you mount it to your seat? Just a strap?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM

That would certainly make a hell of a back rest. I to am curious how it is mounted as I have the same box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM

Garage
I had my top case mounted on the pillion for my Ninja. That bilke had a 2 piece seat, so I bought a used pillion, stripped it down and used the seat pan as the mounting plate. Works great, looks better and probably better for balance/weight distribution.

The only down side was that it was harder to throw my leg over to get on and off the bike. But all in all, I think a good idea.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

SW Motech Givi adapter bolted to the seat pan. I already had a Givi brand adapter, but it didn't seem like a great fit, so I ordered the other one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Bolted to the seat pan through the seat???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I've had a top case mounted to a rear rack before. Carries the weight higher and further back and makes the bike behave worse in crosswinds.
Gotta be honest. I have never noticed a difference with or without my box on the rear rack (crosswinds or weight). The only thing I have ever noticed is when I jump a certain railroad track, I hear all my crap in the box rattle around.

I could see the driver backrest benefit of having the box mounted this way.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

This better shows what I did, and what still needs to be done. Couldn't staple the cover back on with the first stapler I tried. I'll get an pneumatic stapler and try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3691.jpg (84.8 KB, 140 views)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Finished. Bought an air stapler and stapled the rear of the seat cover down. I was able to even get the cover around the back of the pan, though in the pic you can see the original staple holes are exposed there.

Not the most beautiful upholstering job, but I think the top case looks better there than on a rack and I think the bike looks better than with a rack.

I have another seat, and that may still be the one I use when I don't use the top case.

I used the same 3 bolt holes in the adapter that you use to attach it to an SW Motech rack. There's a large hole in the seat pan that I used for the rear bolt and I drilled holes for the two front ones. Tightening those bolts reshaped the pan enough that I had to add a spacer to the metal part that fits into the locking latch to secure it to the bike. The seat fits with less play than my other, unmolested seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3694.jpg (65.9 KB, 78 views)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
that gives me an idea: an adapter that goes over the pillion seat (not touching it) that can be mounted/removed in few minutes.
I have a Givi top box mounted in the back, so when I ride alone it would be great to have it as back support on longer rides and not to extend it so much...

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

A ventura rack would give you that. I considered going that route, but I thought it might not be rigid enough. Also it would make it more difficult to remove the seat. Something custom, mounted to the grab rails might work.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
that was my idea, mounted on the grab rails or the supports for that... somehow...

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
How is it getting your leg over your bike to mount it? A seat mounted tail bag caused problems for me.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I mount by stepping on one of the pegs, then stepping over with the other foot. It interferes more than a tail bag, but not too much, since I'm standing on a peg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode