Picked up new Verys - Initial thoughts / concerns - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Picked up new Verys - Initial thoughts / concerns

OK, so I picked up a brand new 2012 Versys yesterday. Bone stock except for givi side bags and givi engine guards.

Have put about 700km on it already and here are my initial thoughts:

Seat

Total crap. Going to order the seatconcepts package pronto. Do the guys that test ride these bikes have butts of steel or what?

Peg Position

A little cramped for my 6' frame. Ordering lowering kit from motowerk. I'm also going to pick up some of the black rivco highway pegs to attach to the crash bars.

Windshield

The one saving grace at this point is that the windshield is so small that my head is up in the clean air so no buffeting. Way too noisy though. Still researching but think I'm going to go with the vario touring / x-creen combo.

Power / Ride

Loving the bike itself. Plenty of power and plenty of confidence through the corners. No complaints here.

Buzziness

There is a weird buzz coming from the gauge cluster area around 4K. Very annoying and need to track it down. I do see a couple of threads dealing with this but a cursory glance seems to indicate it is for the older model years? Is there a common source of the buzz on the 2012 models?

So far I am very impressed with the bike and with a couple minor changes I think it's going to be around for a while.

Slick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM

My 09 has the same buzz. I think I've isolated it to the windscreen. I tightened the bolts up a bit and it seemed to buzz louder. And right at 4K.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The buzz from the gauge cluster is easy to fix. If it is a new bike you might have the dealer do this. Just requires some double sided foam weather stripping tape applied to the black top panel over the gauges. There is a small tab that sticks out the front of this when you remove it. Think the tape goes on the top of this tab where it contacts the other fairing parts. Also while your at it secure any loose wires with wire ties or tape where they may be vibrating against the frame. Basically buzz illumination is trial and error but you will eventually get it. It comes from one plastic piece vibrating against another.

I would ride the bike more and install your peg lowering kit before doing anything about the seat. You may acclimatize to it. Reviews of the Seat Concept seat have been mixed on this site and aftermarket seats cost big bucks and do not guarantee an improvement. Lots of threads on this site on this subject if you search. I'm the same height and have put 20,000km on my bike with the stock seat and no discomfort.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-05-2013 at 09:19 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 PM

I now have 1800 miles on my bike and I still hate the seat.

It's fine for about 15 minutes, and then the boys start having the
rollover problem.

The givi windscreen though is required. I'm 5'11" and while it's not perfect,
it makes the bike rideable at freeway speeds. The stock windscreen
is just useless and Kawasaki should be drawn and quartered for putting
it on the bike.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM

I think you summed up the flaws pretty well, crappy seat + crappy windshield, I have the MRA +xcreen combo on the way should do the trick. I'm 6'1" and don't find the legs too cramped, I had less leg room on a BMW K1300GT...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:22 PM

HATED the seat at first, butt I've become accustomed to it and can ride a couple hours now. You might wanna try it out a little longer. BTW, I've never felt it was necessary to change a motorcycle seat (have owned 30+ bikes) until I rode my Vulcan 900 for 30 minutes. A Saddlemen seat fixed that, then I got a Mustang seat to fix my Harley, so I definitely understand the power of an aftermarket seat.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 AM

I just rode for four hours today and I think the stock seat is great. I'm working up to some weekend rides coming up and I'm sure it'll be fine. I would not do a two week trip on it, but then this bike really isn't made for that sort of thing anyways.

I'm 6'1" and the pegs are perfect for me as well.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
HATED the seat at first, butt I've become accustomed to it and can ride a couple hours now.
Might want to check your ass in the mirror, maybe it's slanted now
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Well you nailed exactly what I found with my 2011 V when I got it new last year. Your complaints, and your planned way of correcting those, is exactly what I did with the exception of the windshield. I went with the tall Givi.

That instrument cluster buzz is not as easy to fix as twowheels might believe. It just depends on the bike. So far I have attempted every single fix contained in these thousands of posts on this forum with no luck. Well I take that bike, one fix works perfectly..... ear plugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Maybe it's just me... but I've had no problems at all with the stock seat (Airhawk added for longer trips) and my stock windscreen.
15k miles so far and no instrument panel buzz yet.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
I would not do a two week trip on it, but then this bike really isn't made for that sort of thing anyways.
I did 5600 miles over 17 days riding last July and my Airhawk pad made the stock seat quite comfortable.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldale View Post
OK, so I picked up a brand new 2012 Versys yesterday. Bone stock except for givi side bags and givi engine guards.

Have put about 700km on it already and here are my initial thoughts:

Seat

Total crap. Going to order the seatconcepts package pronto. Do the guys that test ride these bikes have butts of steel or what?
I did not think it was that bad, but I have a BumBag4Bikers pad and no issues now.

Quote:
Peg Position

A little cramped for my 6' frame. Ordering lowering kit from motowerk. I'm also going to pick up some of the black rivco highway pegs to attach to the crash bars.
The lowering kit is excellent, long legs appreciate the extra space.

Quote:
Windshield

The one saving grace at this point is that the windshield is so small that my head is up in the clean air so no buffeting. Way too noisy though. Still researching but think I'm going to go with the vario touring / x-creen combo.
I have tried both and both are noisy (though I put that down to the helmet) but the touring screen takes a lot more buffeting off the chest, so I have stuck with it.

Quote:
Power / Ride

Loving the bike itself. Plenty of power and plenty of confidence through the corners. No complaints here.
Agreed

Quote:
Buzziness

There is a weird buzz coming from the gauge cluster area around 4K. Very annoying and need to track it down. I do see a couple of threads dealing with this but a cursory glance seems to indicate it is for the older model years? Is there a common source of the buzz on the 2012 models?

So far I am very impressed with the bike and with a couple minor changes I think it's going to be around for a while.

Slick
The instrument cluster is my source of the buzz. I have read of others finding the fairing is a bit lose as well. Search for various cures.

So your experiences are just the same as mine
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Get the motowerk's peg lowering kit. I installed them last week and just got a chance to try it out yesterday. Did about 200 miles, and could have gone another 300 easily. Changed not only the leg/knee position but, it also changed where/how my legs contact the seat. Wouldn't have thought that little extra room could make such a big difference. Quality product and easy install as well. Also did the 44 tooth rear sprocket conversion; sweet ride now.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
A lot of us have raised the front of the seat. LOTS of threads/ posts.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You're right> the stock seat sucks, as it does on every bike I've owned. The manufacturers seem to build the seat as a fashion article; nice lines but don't try sitting on it for long. Windshields; I can see a problem there> so many height differentials in the riders.

Replace the seat (I'm happy with Seat Concepts), find a screen that works for you (I use the Givi) and definitely go for the lower pegs position. You might want to extend or replace the mirrors too.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 PM

I was quite concerned with all the seat complaints when I bought my Versys, and assumed I would end up changing out the seat. However after a few thousand miles I quite like the seat with the only change an Alaska leather butt pad. I've ridden it 3-4 days in a row a couple times and have no complaints. I thought I had a buzz for quite a while until I figured out it was the peak on my DS helmet..

I also had heard all the complaints about peg height and actually ordered the lowering kit. After a number of rides I never put the lowing kit on. I came from a V-strom DL1000 and a KLR and I find the riding position for me much more comfortable on the Versys from the factory.

What I have learned is buy the bike in stock form, ride it and then start making adjustments and changes so as to not waste your money.

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV

Last edited by Snownut; 05-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I was quite concerned with all the seat complaints when I bought my Versys, and assumed I would end up changing out the seat. However after a few thousand miles I quite like the seat with the only change an Alaska leather butt pad. I've ridden it 3-4 days in a row a couple times and have no complaints. I thought I had a buzz for quite a while until I figured out it was the peak on my DS helmet..

I also had heard all the complaints about peg height and actually ordered the lowering kit. After a number of rides I never put the lowing kit on. I came from a V-strom DL1000 and a KLR and I find the riding position for me much more comfortable on the Versys from the factory.

What I have learned is buy the bike in stock form, ride it and then start making adjustments and changes so as to not waste your money.
This is my second Versys. I did a bunch to the first one and found it to be a mistake . I'm enjoying the stock set up very much.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I did 5600 miles over 17 days riding last July and my Airhawk pad made the stock seat quite comfortable.
Good to know Genehil, Thanks...I'll look into an airhawk...how much does it raise you up on the seat?

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It's not? I'm glad you didn't tell me before my 7000 mile 15 state ride last summer. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20371
Wow that's quite a trip...would you do it again on the Versys?

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My only concern is that theres a "Farkle" out there that i don't have..:

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode