Hennessey Hammocks for bike camping - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hennessey Hammocks for bike camping

Something that I've used for several years while yak-packing is a Hennessey backpacking hammock. I often carry it even on day trips because it's so handy for mid-day naps, bug free and cool. Camping on sea kayak trips is pretty similar to camping on a bike, in that space is limited and we like to minimize weight. The Hennessey is very light, packs into a tiny bundle and in hot weather, is like sleeping in air conditioned comfort, due to the fact that air circulates all around you. They're very comfortable and often provide the best sleep of any of my 'back country castles'. All of the crew that I backpack and yak pack with have started using them and some are now also using them for winter camping. Cold weather requires the use of an insulating pad - I use a backpacking-style inflatable sleeping bag pad. They're just as waterproof as any of the backpacking tents that I have, but by adjusting the separate fly, you can still let air circulate even during the hardest storms. It's hard to beat nodding off during one of the big summer thunder-boomers here in the mountains, with rain drumming on the fly while you wait for the storm to pass.
Another advantage of the hammock is that you can set up to cook beneath it, using it for shelter while you dine in comfort. It's a pretty good rig for those of us that plan to put in the bike-camping miles this year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Got one and I love it!!! its going with me on my 3 week ride in the summer. I do suggest a bottom liner to keep the cool of your ass

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 PM

Ditto. It's way better than being on the ground, but even in the summer I use a thermarest because my backside gets cool in the early morning hours.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Vee I've been eyeing one of these and definitely want to inquire a bit more! Most of my gear is single stuff...bag, tent, cook set...that I've put LOTS of miles on. Now I'm gearing up for motocamping with a girl that digs riding and being out there as much, if not more, than I do .

In my quest to re-gear...I'm shopping for some Big Agnes air core pads, a new 3 person moto tent, and perhaps a Big Agnes 2-person sleeping bag. Stuff ain't cheap!

We need to get together soon.

/neil
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 PM

I camp a lot on the bike and the best camping buy yet was the High Tech Cot from Aerostich. Kind of expensive but it's small to pack and a heck of a lot better than a pad which I always roll off in the middle of the night.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-18894.html
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM

OK now this is makig want to go camping ... we have a long weekend coming up so that will work great for me. I 'll get to test my new saddle bags and get use to the weight. I'll post some pictures

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Try mine out

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_asheville View Post
Vee I've been eyeing one of these and definitely want to inquire a bit more! Most of my gear is single stuff...bag, tent, cook set...that I've put LOTS of miles on. Now I'm gearing up for motocamping with a girl that digs riding and being out there as much, if not more, than I do .

In my quest to re-gear...I'm shopping for some Big Agnes air core pads, a new 3 person moto tent, and perhaps a Big Agnes 2-person sleeping bag. Stuff ain't cheap!

We need to get together soon.

/neil
If we can get together for a camping trip this spring, I'll let you give one of mine a try. It takes some adjusting to suit individual sleeping styles. The trick is to be sure that it's really stretched tight, end to end, and then again from side to side. Most people sleep at an angle in it and by doing that, they're able to sleep in an almost flat position. When kayak camping, I carry a little three-legged stool that I put right below the exit slit so that I can have something to put my shoes on while I'm getting ready first thing in the morning. There are several manufacturers of bp hammocks, but I like Hennessey because of the personal service. Tom Hennessey or his wife will usually answer the phone and they will work with you on custom sizing or special requests (i.e. larger or smaller flies) if you wish.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

They did have a photo on the site that a lady that I backpack with sent them of a peacock sheltering beneath her husband's Hennessey while backpacking in the Joyce Kilmer Forest. It was way backcountry and had been raining for 3 days when the bird decided to join them. It hung around camp until they packed up. It's surprising at how often we see peacocks in remote regions around the Smoky Mountains.

Something else that I often carry along on the bike or in a backpack is one of the tiny net hammocks that WalMart sells. They're about the size of your fist and make a great seat or recliner while on the road. I'm allergic to green grass - the danged stuff is like poison oak if it touches my skin - so I like to get off the ground during breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode