Additional benefit of Hi Viz? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Additional benefit of Hi Viz?

Has anyone noticed more favorable treatment from LEOs while wearing Hi Viz?
Yesterday while getting off work I hit I-5 South from Coburg Oregon. There are 2 lanes that taper to one, then hit the freeway. To make sure I got passed the guy in the right lane (whose lane was ending) I goosed the throttle, got up to 85 MPH indicated (a little faster than I thought I was going) than started slowing down a little and surveyed the traffic I was merging into. At this point a truck had pulled into the right lane taking the gap I had planned on getting into. So I punched it and got ahead of the truck that I had planned on getting behind in the first place. I figure about 90 MPH indicated (or 82-85 actual?) this is when I see one of Coburg's finest tucked along side the road. Anyone that regularly travels through Oregon on I-5 knows the lack of leniency with this small town's police force. They have the highest cop:citizen rate in the state (if not the country) and I've NEVER heard of them letting anyone go without giving them a ticket. I think "OH great, my ass is grass". By now I've slowed down to about 70 MPH, and wave as I pass the cop. He nods and keeps the Radar gun (Laser?, IDK) focused down the road.

Anyway, I kinda wondered if my Silver Helmet and Hi Viz jacket didn't make me look more like an innocent tourer and less like some menacing hooligan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Theres been a couple of times i know i should have been pulled over. But the cop just let me go maybe they fiquired with the traffic i could just filter through to easily and it would be a hassle for them.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Definately makes you look like less of a hooligan.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
Has anyone noticed more favorable treatment from LEOs while wearing Hi Viz?... Anyway, I kinda wondered if my Silver Helmet and Hi Viz jacket didn't make me look more like an innocent tourer and less like some menacing hooligan.
I think so. Maybe its just me but when I get into those little Uh Oh moments when I am expecting a tail, I seem to be ignored. On the flip side, I don't get into those moments often but I do feel like we are not thrown into the hooligan stereotype.

Pull the same crap in cutoff jeans, tank top & sneakers with a mohawk helmet and I bet you would have been lit up!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Pull the same crap in cutoff jeans, tank top & sneakers with a mohawk helmet and I bet you would have been lit up!
Anyone wearing cutoff jeans deserves a ticket!!!

I have found (unfortunately from a bit of experience) that wearing ALL of the available gear goes very far in getting out of a ticket.

When I was younger and just wore my helmet on a sport bike I got my fair share of tickets.

Now I wear every piece of gear I can. When I do get pulled over I wait till the officer is walking up and then need to take off my thick leather gloves followed by the helmet. Kinda making them wait a bit. Several times I have had them comment on all the safety gear I wear, and then comment on how it seems I know what I am doing, and to please back it down a notch.

I have yet to get a ticket on the V since I started wearing all my gear, vs way to many before.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I have yet to get a ticket on the V since I started wearing all my gear, vs way to many before.
I think another benefit of the Versys is the stock muffler makes her purr like a kitten. I think loud bikes draw more attention from the cops as well. Another benefit of having a peppy & quiet machine. You can get on it without the attention.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I think the Hi Viz scatters or absorbs the radar. Maybe both?

Here is my latest hi viz suit.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...FQgx4AodMAMAyg

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I think another benefit of the Versys is the stock muffler makes her purr like a kitten. I think loud bikes draw more attention from the cops as well. Another benefit of having a peppy & quiet machine. You can get on it without the attention.
Thats not my V! Arrow pipe, with the silencer tip pulled!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 PM

I once got pulled over by a state trooper who wanted to use me as an example. The trooper does some classes with insurance companies and riders. He wanted to take pictures of me riding up and down the road as I have a hi viz helmet and jacket. He wants to show the pictures in his class to encourage people how much better hi viz is than black leather.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 PM

I've been pulled over twice... once wearing all my black gear but with a hi-vis vest. I said I was on my way to teach a motorcycle safety class (I was...) He let me go. Second time was with my brother, both of us in high vis. Just out on a country road and it was kind of a speed trap area. Policeman was kind of grumpy at first but then smiling as he let us go, told us to slow down.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 AM

I have heard (but don't know if it's true) that there needs to be a certain distance between you and any other vehicles for them to zap you with radar. Too much chance of picking up the other guys speed that it wouldn't stand up in court. Not sure of the distance involved and it might just be a WA thing, but something to consider.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
I have heard (but don't know if it's true) that there needs to be a certain distance between you and any other vehicles for them to zap you with radar. Too much chance of picking up the other guys speed that it wouldn't stand up in court. Not sure of the distance involved and it might just be a WA thing, but something to consider.
"Radar, in general, is not particularly precise in identifying which vehicle is responsible for the speed reading, requiring a visual identification by the traffic patrolman."

"With police laser, the officer has already made a predetermination of your vehicle as he or she consciously selects and targets your vehicle much like a sniper with a rifle and scope."

Sources for above:

http://www.laserveil.com/police/radar/

http://www.laserveil.com/laser/polic...-police-lidar/
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM

When I was harassed by a local LEO, he actually questioned why I was in full gear in the heat.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM

I've actually noticed this quite a few times. While I can't say much about speeding, I have seen officers give me a head nod or wave much more frequently when I wear by hi-viz construction vest. I think a big reason for that at least here in Columbus is that they associate anyone wearing a hi-viz vest to be in the Air Force. We're required to adhere to ATGATT and be reflective on base.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
ALL good reasons for ATGATT!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigercj View Post
When I was harassed by a local LEO, he actually questioned why I was in full gear in the heat.
I just tell I'd rather sweat than bleed! Of course well designed gear will keep you COOLER on a hot day. Good airflow through the gear and the shade from it keeping the sun off your skin.

Another "Ticket Beater" is the Versys itself, of course add a touring windshield, saddlebags and a trunk and ride like you have a little common sense and you're in like Flynn. It's no longer a "Kids Bike" OR buy a KLR while you may still get a ticket...it'll likely to be for going TOO Slow!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM

I've had two different people tell me today they thought I was a cop with my Hi-Vis mesh vest.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM

No question.. Hi-Vis + ATGATT gives the impression to LEO's that you aren't some punk kid. You're probably over the age of 40, responsible, and most aggressive riding will be due to avoiding people in cars and trucks that want to run you over.

Again, this might be totally wrong in your case, at least it is in mine (other than the age thing), but it is the impression that is given off.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 AM

Yeah.. definitely something to this. I've noticed, especially at road blocks, all geared and viz'd up I just get the Go-Ahead nod

I'm no diplomat
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Yes, once when I had my rain jacket on (for warmth, it wasn't wet out) and did a three vehicle pass I was well over the psl. Lo and behold blue lights light up behind me and I pulled over immeditely (another good thing to do) and waited. He came up and was not happy. He checked and seeing my clean record very sternly warned me that that was my one and only warning, no 'good day' or anything. I'm sure the gear helped. This morning I was wearing it due to the forecast and had a car I was coming up on hit the brakes - I'm sure they thought I was a moto officer.

Conversely, when I've had my leathers on I've had ones pull in and follow me like I was going to do something crazy with them right behind me...I guess many sportbike riders don't watch their mirrors.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode