Insurance Co Recommendations - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Insurance Co Recommendations

I have Progressive and pay $413.00 a year on the Versys. Good record, older rider, garaged, no tickets etc.

Thought I should start shopping around in these hard times.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
I have Progressive and pay $413.00 a year on the Versys. Good record, older rider, garaged, no tickets etc.

Thought I should start shopping around in these hard times.

Machog
STate Farm- $216 per year($18 per mo) 37 yrs old, no tickets,no wrecks

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM

what kind of coverage are you looking at in your insurance ??
I am just about to buy a used 2008 versys... and have been scouting around for insurance deals...
I am 25, a graduate student.. just got my drivers license more than a year back.. have to get my motorcycle license and everyone is quoting $920+ per year for comprehensive+collision ($500 deductible) !

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM

I subscribe to RIDER magazine and they offered insurance from GMAC to their subscribers... I gave it a try and saved $100 compared to my local insurance agent... I pay about $230 and year for the Versys, full coverage (and I mean it covers EVERYTHING). I'm 52 with a spotless record...and live in small town Iowa.

Last edited by motorcyclist; 03-03-2009 at 11:35 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Lots of variables

From what I've seen, rates vary tremendously, not just from company to company, but from locale to locale and even from agent to agent. I pay a tad over $200 annually at Progressive for full fender to fender coverage, including theft and accessories including riding gear. That's less than half what I paid on the Ninja 500, even though performance is comparable. I used to think that there was some sort of chart that all of the companies subscribed to, but now I think that they all just sort of wing it. I'm 57 with a (knock on wood!) good driving record for the past 10 years. We also have a package deal that covers both a Rav 4 and a Subaru Forester, along with our home. That seems to help a lot - if an agent can snag a lot of your business, they're more likely to work with you.
I'd suggest that everybody shop around carefully - what you save could easily buy a lot of goodies for your ride.
Something that I think may be even more important is how well your company responds to a claim. Unfortunately, that seems to involve doing something to require a filing - maybe not the best way to find out. Something good that we could add to this thread is some reports from folks that have filed claims to give us an idea of how well the companies take care of us. It might be that some of the 'best' deals out there are from companies that will fight tooth and nail to keep from paying a legitimate claim. For instance, if you turned in a claim, did your company cancel further coverage or start charging exorbitant rates for a minor traffic infraction? I've seen some guys get hammered with rates that tripled for a stop sign violation.
I've had good luck with my Met Life agent - he went to bat for me when my Ru got slammed hard in a hail storm a few years ago. He handles a variety of companies and has always come out the best on quotes while providing excellent service.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 PM

State farm does well

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
From what I've seen, rates vary tremendously, not just from company to company, but from locale to locale and even from agent to agent. I pay a tad over $200 annually at Progressive for full fender to fender coverage, including theft and accessories including riding gear. That's less than half what I paid on the Ninja 500, even though performance is comparable. I used to think that there was some sort of chart that all of the companies subscribed to, but now I think that they all just sort of wing it. I'm 57 with a (knock on wood!) good driving record for the past 10 years. We also have a package deal that covers both a Rav 4 and a Subaru Forester, along with our home. That seems to help a lot - if an agent can snag a lot of your business, they're more likely to work with you.
I'd suggest that everybody shop around carefully - what you save could easily buy a lot of goodies for your ride.
Something that I think may be even more important is how well your company responds to a claim. Unfortunately, that seems to involve doing something to require a filing - maybe not the best way to find out. Something good that we could add to this thread is some reports from folks that have filed claims to give us an idea of how well the companies take care of us. It might be that some of the 'best' deals out there are from companies that will fight tooth and nail to keep from paying a legitimate claim. For instance, if you turned in a claim, did your company cancel further coverage or start charging exorbitant rates for a minor traffic infraction? I've seen some guys get hammered with rates that tripled for a stop sign violation.
I've had good luck with my Met Life agent - he went to bat for me when my Ru got slammed hard in a hail storm a few years ago. He handles a variety of companies and has always come out the best on quotes while providing excellent service.

A good friend of mine has State Farm on his V-maxx- with lots of farkles. Almost everything is chromed or polished on it-plus lots of other add ons. It fell off the trailer while transporting and they took excellant care of him. And yes there is a story behind the fall!! Iv had Met Life before on my home and they washed their hands of me when I needed a claim. I have Country on my home and State farm on vehicles. When I need either they are there. Thats worth a LOT!

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM

I have Foremost out of Grand Rapids Mi. Total coverage with $250 deduct.
$185 a Year. I have a couple of tickets, and I have wrecked.
1-800-752-2461

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM

I use Dairyland for $210.00 a year for full coverage on my 2008 V. Make sure the are raging it as a dual purpose and not a sport bike.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Plus one on Foremost.

I have never made a claim, but my state insurance dept. (Wyoming), gives them a good rating.

I have 3 bikes with them, and my premium just went down a hundred bucks this year.

My Versys part of the coverage is 113 bucks per year. C-14 concours is 209 bucks. Full coverage plus towing.

Worth talking to them in my opinion.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM

Geico

Well,

I currently have Geico, 1 wreck in 2007 (bike totaled and paid by Geico) and 1 car ticket on 2007 as well, paid the ticket but the points were waived so not sure if that counts...

So far Geico charges me $210 for my Suzuki C50 800cc Cruiser in FL.

Given my history an age 32, Geico quoted me $399 on a 2009 Versys same coverage.

10/20/10 limits, collision, 250ded on everything, $3000 accessories, comprehensive, UM.

Nationwide and Dairy Land quoted me around $450 if I recall correctly...

I will be checking State Farm tomorrow.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM

500R vs Versys

Per Geico agent...

500R rates higer then the Versys with regard insurance...

500R too much of a popular bike.
500R tend to be a bike for the inexperience so it has a high rate of accidents.
500R also has a high rate of theft, they get stolen a lot...

So Geico will charge me $540 / YR for either, 500R or Versys...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 PM

Wow!

I'm surprised at their reasoning. I mean, I loved my 500, but I seemed to be in the minority. It's a 'retro' bike and hasn't been significantly changed in appearance, other than the larger wheels, since 1988. It's hard to believe that it's more prone to theft than the Versys, but on the other hand, a lot of folks think that the Vee looks weird - those of little class...

As for the part about it being more likely to be abused - yeah, I can see that. The little 500 is a ball to ride hard - handles like it's on rails, has lots of get up and go, and to me, sounded as good as anything out there. I miss mine and will probably end up getting another to play on.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM

Progressive originally quoted me 226.00 for the year...Then gota call and the doink on the other end says " wait a minute cigar breath" we quoted you for a KLH, you have a KLE and that's a sport bike so we need another 132.00...358.00.
And the dual sport conversation, forget it...He said go to the MamaKawa web site says "Sportbike" ...Click

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 AM

Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Progressive originally quoted me 226.00 for the year...Then gota call and the doink on the other end says " wait a minute cigar breath" we quoted you for a KLH, you have a KLE and that's a sport bike so we need another 132.00...358.00.
And the dual sport conversation, forget it...He said go to the MamaKawa web site says "Sportbike" ...Click
Well, the thing with the 500R is that a lot of apartment resident forks tend to gravitate towards it and also college students living in the dorms, so there are a lot of 500R sleeping out on the streets at night and prompt to be stolen...

ON the other hand, if you look at the pictures on this website, most versys are photograph in front of a house garage door, meaning most Versys won't sleep out on the streets at night so the theft rate is lower...

With regard insurance for the Versys, if you are a regular Joe, not high risk, but not perffect clean record either, the norm will be close to $400/year with some of the more agressive insurance companies out there. The more reserve and conservative companies will range around $550/YR.

It is funny that the 650R is rated cheaper then the Versys to insure.

And the worse to insure is the GSX650F, that one almost everybody wants $900/YR. Not sure whats so special about that bike that the insurance companies are so scare of it...

I am still debating between the Versys and the 500R, they are only $1680 apart in price for me and about the same to insure... The only thing that turns me off about the Versys is how tall it is, I am only 31in in size and it takes me a good stretch before I can throw my leg over. The 500R worries be because I perseive it as under power, but some people say I will be amazed...

I just need a econnomy commuter to take me back and forth to work everyday, I was hoping for cheap insurance and $5K loan, Plasma is my favorite color so I the 500R is looking good, but man I have so much lost for that lime green with the engine all blacked out... I am going crazy...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
When I was looking around, I got confused. I had the insurance at 25/50/10 I think it was with a $500 deductible with $3000 for accessories. Then there was another part that had the Versys with another set of coverage... it brought the quote from like 600 a year (20, with 1 not at fault accident and a speeding ticket 3 years ago) to over $2000. Now I thought the insurance of 25/50/10 was supposed to cover the bike??
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM

AAA Members - Try insurance through AAA

I have Progressive through AAA (I'm also an AAA member). I pay about $170 a year - $250 deductable, full coverage plus coverage for up to $1000 of add-ons to the bike. I opted out of medical coverage as I have that through work. I'm over 50, no accidents, no history of citations.

My regular insurance company (Safeco) had no clue about motorcycle coverage - I got quotes from them of over $450. Stick with companies that specialize in m/c coverage.

Be smart and only buy the coverage you need.

Last edited by pirnie; 03-05-2009 at 11:05 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 PM

I am looking to get one in Charlotte, NC. I have been calling insurance companies and getting quotes around $1000.00, how come. They treating it as a performance bike, i called progressive, foremost. geico.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Try telling them its a Dual Sport-it may work.

BTW, it is a performance bike.

I ride with a group here in Palm Desert every Wednesday. Its the smallest bike in the group by about 400cc and has no trouble keeping up. If my riding skills were better I could lead the group with no issues!

I've got a few more quotes but nothing that's worth changing from Progressive for yet.

Machog

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM

I did tell them, but the system won't allow them to change it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode