long distance travelers!....this way please! :) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
long distance travelers!....this way please! :)

Hello,

as some of you are aware, I'm planing a tour in Europe for 30-35 days. I did the itinerary my first phase i.e. from malaga (spain) to Perpignan (France) (2500km). I realized that the average daily distance is between 400 to 450km...now I red some of the threads here that it is okay...but I was wondering if it is the case for a 35 days trip!... I have never been on a trip for this long so I'm just afraid that getting tired then changing the plan, start looking for accommodation in remote areas etc...currently I started doing some back up plans (i.e. if I get tired somewhere where can I sleep for cheap...)...it defeats the pleasure of the trip but I think this is the price for a piece of mind trip...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Hello,

as some of you are aware, I'm planing a tour in Europe for 30-35 days. I did the itinerary my first phase i.e. from malaga (spain) to Perpignan (France) (2500km). I realized that the average daily distance is between 400 to 450km...now I red some of the threads here that it is okay...but I was wondering if it is the case for a 35 days trip!... I have never been on a trip for this long so I'm just afraid that getting tired then changing the plan, start looking for accommodation in remote areas etc...currently I started doing some back up plans (i.e. if I get tired somewhere where can I sleep for cheap...)...it defeats the pleasure of the trip but I think this is the price for a piece of mind trip...
Hello,

I too am going to malaga, but will be driving around Southern Spain. I've never ridden for EXTENDED periods, but I can tell you that 2 years ago I DROVE from Avignon to Nice to Milan and finally Munich and it was exhausting, and that was in a car.

Before that I was in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico when I bumped into a couple of BMW GS riders and got to chat with them. They started from Vancouver and their final destination was Buenos Aires! At that point they had been on the road for 3 1/2 weeks, stopping only to sleep, eat, and restroom breaks, which in that part of the world was hit or miss in finding one! So off to the side of the roads they went.

What kind of preparations are you doing physically? Are you riding a V? I would be interested in reading about your adventure in Europe. Well, have fun, good luck and BE SAFE!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

in Europe generally there shouldn't be an issue of accommodation ....I just need to not be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

yes I'm riding a V and my itinerary globally is start from malaga then sierra nevada, cabo de gata, valencia, barcelona, pyrennes, nice, mocano, genoa, pisa, florence, valencia, vienna, munich, passes in aples through Liechtenstein, then geneva, then up to Belgium, Netherlands, west of France ( bretagne) down through the west cost until Portugal then back to Gibraltar...no need to say that this is my first long distance trip...it might look too much but in my current point of life I need to breath far away from where I'm and have a peacefull worries less 35 days...

physical training? nothing serious except daily 30 min jogging...eating healthy to loose some weight etc...

when are you planning to be in Malaga? I will be there around 10th of August...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

I've traveled Spain, Italy, France and Portugal and accommodation is very little problem anywhere. If you carry a tent there's always plenty of official sites available.. n my experience Italy is the least easy place to find a camp site, but they are there. Cheap B&B, hotels or lodges are always around.

All of my trips have been unplanned and I have found some real gems at very cheap places. Places that you would be hard pressed to find prior to travelling. The flip side of that is that sometimes you have to take what you can get. A noisy truck stop was a memorable one for the worst reasons.. I once camped in Northern Spain near an old monastery that was beautifully peaceful.. until a convoy of German camper vans turned up and proceeded to party all night.. ho hum! still the free beer made up for the spoiling of the site

Just go for it and enjoy the experience

Last edited by Trackdayrider; 05-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for this encouraging message!

I'm planning only cities and towns that are a must and keep all the freedom to chose the when and which route I have already a tent to carry on with me so all good

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
in Europe generally there shouldn't be an issue of accommodation ....I just need to not be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

yes I'm riding a V and my itinerary globally is start from malaga then sierra nevada, cabo de gata, valencia, barcelona, pyrennes, nice, mocano, genoa, pisa, florence, valencia, vienna, munich, passes in aples through Liechtenstein, then geneva, then up to Belgium, Netherlands, west of France ( bretagne) down through the west cost until Portugal then back to Gibraltar...no need to say that this is my first long distance trip...it might look too much but in my current point of life I need to breath far away from where I'm and have a peacefull worries less 35 days...

physical training? nothing serious except daily 30 min jogging...eating healthy to loose some weight etc...

when are you planning to be in Malaga? I will be there around 10th of August...
Much earlier than you -May 15-21st. Now you got me thinking about doing a bike trek, but only for 2-3 days. Hmmmmmmmmm.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Much earlier than you -May 15-21st. Now you got me thinking about doing a bike trek, but only for 2-3 days. Hmmmmmmmmm.
2-3 days only? I would advise Granada-Sierra Nevada-Cabo de Gata...it is the best biking according to this site : http://www.motorbikeeurope.com/en/ro...-de-gata-spain

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello,

My LAST trip was Death Valley from Phoenix - 1,501 miles (2430 kms - over 5 days - 486 per day), camping. The one under my signature line was aprox. 13,000 kms over 31 days which worked out to 420 kms per day, and that TOO was camping, cooking ALL meals on a camp-stove! NO problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackdayrider View Post
...If you carry a tent there's always plenty of official sites available.. n my experience Italy is the least easy place to find a camp site, but they are there....
See above.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Jogging is good, but I'd also work in some core exercises focusing on your abdomen and back. Keeping proper posture is key on those long multi-day treks... That and a good kidney belt.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
2-3 days only? I would advise Granada-Sierra Nevada-Cabo de Gata...it is the best biking according to this site : http://www.motorbikeeurope.com/en/ro...-de-gata-spain

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode