My adventure trip planning - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My adventure trip planning

ok - hello - everyone !

So as I mentioned in my post in the intro section, I'm planning a round the world trip in 2014.. Lots to do to sort the bike out prior to that, but here it is as it stands right now.

I have a lot of plans to turn it into the "adversys" it needs to be.. but that will come with time.

I have been looking at the versys "beak" thread with interest. The fill-in side panels are attractive and I think I want a set, but they are for the next gen model. I haven't done any fibreglass moulding since I was a school, but might have a go and see where it leads.. would be good to fill that awkward space above the radiator and below the fairing.

list of things off the top of my head
Crash bars
bash plate (custom made)
Spot lights
Handguard
Short levers
re-upholstered seat - to increase the seat height
reworked front forks
R1 rear shock - resprung
lower shock linkage adapter to raise the ride height ?
Aluminium panniers
dual sport tyres
Replace all wheel bearings, brakes hoses etc etc
probably some other stuff that I cant think of right now

This wont be the first bike I've modded.. done plenty of race bikes, track bikes and a couple of streetfighters in the past.. My "keeper" is the Triumph I'm riding which is a 955 Daytona motor'd speed triple..

Cheers

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 AM

That's a fine looking Triumph! Very nice.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM

Great plan TDR! If you motor through northern Florida I've got room for you... My biggest question though, is how do you plan to stay current on Eastenders while you're gone???

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

My initial route plan is as follows:

Section 1: Starting from the UK to Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece and Turkey.

This initial stage will be relatively easy I think. I have travelled in Europe plenty of times in my life, some of them hugely entertaining and full of brightly coloured memories. I donít expect a border check until entry to Greece which will be the 2nd boat trip of the journey after the channel crossing.

Section 2: Russia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, China, Pakistan, India Nepal.
This I expect to be the toughest challenge of the whole journey. Numerous travel references to the problems getting around Russia point to a problematic section, but Volgograd should be a highlight and has been on my must see list for a long time. Kazkhstan will be a wild adventure and then there is the Karakorum Highway. Known to overlanders as the KKH I look forwards to being enlightened and inducted into that fabled group of travellers. Pakistan and Indiaís logistics and scary roads will be a madhouse of cultural clashes before the calm is restored in Nepal. Getting out might prove more tricky!

Section 3: Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia. My brother lives in Ho Ci Min City so a visit to Vietnam has to be included. Before travelling down through the exotic lands of Indonesia

Section 4: Australia , New Zealand. A friend of mine lives in Melbourne and is planning to fly up to Darwin to meet me then travel back through Aus. I expect to be there around Christmas 2014 and fly my daughter out to meet for a antipodean Christmas celebration. If time and funds allow I really want to visit New Zealand while I'm at that corner of the globe.

Section 5 : USA. Landing on the west coast, my initial thought was to follow route 66, but having watched a few programs about how a lot of the old route has been diverted or turned into a freeway I am thinking about exploring the south a bit more. But plenty of time to figure that out.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When you 'do' the brake lines, make your front lines LESS vulnerable than they are in your first pic.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah - they're only there cos I pulled off the original mudguard. I will run a twin lines from a double banjo at the master cylinder
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Trackdayrider, way to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

with every prep and every leg of that journey!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackdayrider View Post
Section 4: Australia , New Zealand. A friend of mine lives in Melbourne and is planning to fly up to Darwin to meet me then travel back through Aus. I expect to be there around Christmas 2014 and fly my daughter out to meet for a antipodean Christmas celebration. If time and funds allow I really want to visit New Zealand while I'm at that corner of the globe.

It a way off at the moment but if you get to NZ look me up and south island NZ is a great place to ride or drive around.

Phil
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Well been a little while since the last update.. Still saving hard, but tempering that with what I need to spend to sort out the bike and paperwork and... well just stuff I need to do !

The bike has had a few minor mods so far..I'm off work in August and plan to get the bash plate and some crash bars sorted..Look at fitting an alternative shock, mount some spotlights and the pannier racks .. I have a set of DARR BOX ali panniers and have so fitted a radiator guard.. upper and lower mudguard off a KTM950SM, a set of brush guards, heated grips, an MRA screen and added some addition foam to the seat to lift it a bit more for my extra long legs!

Heres the progress so far..
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

A while since my last update but with just under 3 months to departure..
Bit of an update on the bike and prep... setting of at the end of April - The only remaining jobs are to make a bash plate fit a replacement rear shock and do the maintenance jobs like brake pads, chain and sprockets etc ..

Here's how it looks now.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Spectacular dream trip. And a very impressive blog as well. Wish you the best of good fortune.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 PM

I love that 950SM fender job!

Hooligan
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

Good job mate, & good luck, especially with Pakistan!!!

Don't bother with route 66, it's a crap ride through crap scenery (Arizona desert is ugly as is Kingman etc then you get fuggin ugly places like Springfield Missouri that are on the route!!!

PS, interesting reg; on the Mitsi...........
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Don't bother with route 66, it's a crap ride through crap scenery (Arizona desert is ugly as is Kingman etc then you get fuggin ugly places like Springfield Missouri that are on the route!!!...
Respectfully I have to disagree. Just watched the Billy Connelly TV series on 66, showing places I haven't been, which were interesting, but I HAVE ridden all over AZ including 66 in a few places.

AIN'T UGLY...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Eduardo, & to me, that particular area around the Kingman to Seligman section is particularly ugly, as well as the road being in questionable condition!

But hey, you live there so maybe you've just got used to it!!!

Anyway, here are the highlights of Route 66 so the OP can decide if this is what he likes to look at...
http://www.pbase.com/billphoto/historical_route_66

Last edited by Britmick; 02-04-2014 at 12:58 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned

here's the link to the 1st episode, you'll be able to watch all the other episodes as well via the right hand side links on Youtube.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Hey, the bike looks great!
Headlight guard? Radiator guard?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Hey, include Philippines :-D

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys - update from this fairly old post

I got delayed in 2014 due to a problem with a torn retina..

But set off from the uk at the end of April 2015..

After crossing France into Italy - I took in the motogp round at Mugello before crossing to Greece and a little holiday before Turkey and into Georgia where I'm now sitting waiting for my Kazakhstan visa to come active on 13th July before crossing Azerbaijan to get a boat across the Caspian to get there.

My Blog is updated regularly an d pictures on public Flickr album from a link on the blog.

chasingdreams2014.blogspot.co.uk

Sinop dry dock in Turkey

Fitting new tyre in Bandirma

Ferry from Galipoli

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aventure, beak, modified, overland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode