New seat ride reports? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

New seat ride reports?

Hey guys. I know some of you have been changing seats out, and this is something I am very interested in doing. The stock seat is fine for the first hour or so, but after that, not so much. My main problem is sliding forward, resulting in the dreaded frontal wedgie.

Anybody got some reports on how there new saddle is working out? Corbin? Russel? Seargent? Any others?

Love to see some pics too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Rabbit View Post
Hey guys. I know some of you have been changing seats out, and this is something I am very interested in doing. The stock seat is fine for the first hour or so, but after that, not so much. My main problem is sliding forward, resulting in the dreaded frontal wedgie.

Anybody got some reports on how there new saddle is working out? Corbin? Russel? Seargent? Any others?

Love to see some pics too!
Briar Rabbit,
I had exactly the same problem with the stock seat re: sliding forward. I ordered and installed a Corbin, and it is very nice. I've done many 100+ mile days, a couple of 300 mile days, and one of nearly 500 miles with relative comfort. There is no sliding forward feeling. Here's a pic of the bike w/Corbin seat.

As you can see I also got the back rest which gives my daughter more security when I pick her up from school.
Thanks,
Bob
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 AM

I have the stock seat, a low gel and a Corbin. They all have their merits, but the stock seat makes my backside sore the quickest. I like the feel of the low gel seat padding and I don't slide around on it. The first time I sat on one I thought it was too hard, but after riding on it for a while I realized that it really isn't that hard. It does seem to move me a little more forward than the others. The Corbin has the best shape, but is a bit hard for me. I really feel like I am sitting in the Corbin and it has good rear support. I am going to try some pads on the Corbin to see if that will make up for the hardness.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrice View Post
Briar Rabbit,
I had exactly the same problem with the stock seat re: sliding forward. I ordered and installed a Corbin, and it is very nice. I've done many 100+ mile days, a couple of 300 mile days, and one of nearly 500 miles with relative comfort. There is no sliding forward feeling. Here's a pic of the bike w/Corbin seat.

As you can see I also got the back rest which gives my daughter more security when I pick her up from school.
Thanks,
Bob
Wow! The Corbin is a sweet looking saddle - even if it rides the same as stock, it would be worth getting for the look. That might move up to the top of my goodies list now that I've seen one. I saw a photo on another forum that showed a Corbin (I think) that had Japanese script monogrammed into the upright portion of the seat. I'd like to find somebody that could add that to one. It really looked great and added a distinctive touch to the saddle.

By the way, what type of tank bag is that? I like the way it matches the lines of the tank, while still supplying what looks to be a good bit of volume. The Nelson Riggs that I had on my Ninja was terrific, but won't match up to the KawasiMoto.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:07 AM

I have to throw in a plug for the Kawasaki low gel seat. It is effectively not much lower than stock, so ignore that aspect. The seat cover material is much grippier than the stock seat, and the overall construction is significantly better. What I like is the way the seat is firmer than stock. The stock seat gave me monkey butt very quickly because its foam is way too soft. I was worried that with my skinny butt and only 130lbs. the gel seat might be too hard, but I have put in several long distance rides with it and am very happy. The gel seems too hard at first, but after half an hour or so that seems to be only a perception. After an hour or so, I find myself thinking again that the seat seems to put two hard pressure points on my rear, but I keep going and it never bothers me. The longest single stretch I have put in would be at least three hours, maybe four. I never feel worn out when I get off, either. Someone with at least another 20lbs. would probably find it even more comfortable. I would argue that the Versys low gel seat is one of the most comfortable seats I have had on any of the 15+ bikes I have owned, and several of those were custom-fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0700s.jpg (558.3 KB, 142 views)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Briar Rabbit,
I think you can specify on the Corbin seats if you want different colored piping, and manufacturers names etc. on the seats. Mine is just a plain seat w/no piping etc., and I like the look. The Tank bag is a Rapid Transit Recon 19. It attaches with straps, and is quite secure. I really like it! Here's a link to the bag: http://www.revzilla.com/product/rapi...mount-tank-bag

Thanks, Bob
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunny
I also got the low gel seat mostly because I'm only 5'9" and thought it would be nice to be an inch or two closer to the ground...but after some long rides 6-8 hours per day for 5 days I found no problems with monkey butt...I did however just order some highway pegs to mount to my crash bars. After 6 hours on the bike I found it was important to be able to stretch out the legs a bit.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM

the corbin looks great. riders usually either love them or hate them. I'm really happy with my built up stock seat. been getting ridiculous quotes on a new seat cover, so I'm gonna sew my own. I'm sure it won't look as nice as the corbin.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:43 PM

tomia,
Yeah, I think I would have tried to modify the stock seat too, after reading a lot of posts of those who had successfully done so. BUT, I didn't read those posts until AFTER I ordered my Corbin. The benefits of doing a little research BEFORE buying an expensive seat/saddle is definitely worth while. However, the Corbin does work good! But I'll always wonder if I could have just modified the original with good results, like many others have. Of course, I've kept the stock seat. If and when I sell the V it will probably be "wearing" the "stocker".
Take care,
Bob
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM

No that I have three seats I will probably play withthe stock seat. I was going to do it befre, but found a good deal on a used slightly used Corbin.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 PM

I sat on a Corbin yesterday at the dealership (it’s the owner’s bike). My impression of the seat was damn nice. There was way more room in the butt area. The problem was the very noticeable hot spot where my legs contacted the seat. I am going to see if I can borrow the seat for a short ride. I’m also looking into custom work.

Jerry

2008 - Red Versys
Mikes Grand Touring Shield
Cortech Bags
Painted Plastics
Shad 46 Top Case

It matters not how fast you go from point A to point B, it’s what you see in between that counts.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM

New seat ride reports?

Just ran to the garage with my bathrobe on to take this picture! Corbin with red piping. I can ride a good day, with little fatigue. It feels good! I still slide forward a bit, I may shim the front latch. I plan to use the stock seat for my 15 minute commute on potentially wet days. I'm a spoiled new rider!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corbin.jpg (183.0 KB, 553 views)

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:53 AM

Location: Tauranga, New Zealand -Weather allows year round riding
hi anybody got a stock seat they want to sell? with the added hassle of packaging to freight to New Zealand.
Cheers Dennis
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

On my recent trip PHX to Cayucos, CA (10 hours to, 9 1/2 hours back) my butt was OK in my "stock" seat. I shimmed the front about 9/16", and added a sheepskin ($35 at Ikea?) with a piece of sleeping bag matt (yellow in the photo) under for the trip. Check the picture.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hwy 166:125.JPG (711.3 KB, 323 views)
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomar View Post
I have to throw in a plug for the Kawasaki low gel seat. It is effectively not much lower than stock, so ignore that aspect. The seat cover material is much grippier than the stock seat, and the overall construction is significantly better. What I like is the way the seat is firmer than stock. The stock seat gave me monkey butt very quickly because its foam is way too soft. I was worried that with my skinny butt and only 130lbs. the gel seat might be too hard, but I have put in several long distance rides with it and am very happy. The gel seems too hard at first, but after half an hour or so that seems to be only a perception. After an hour or so, I find myself thinking again that the seat seems to put two hard pressure points on my rear, but I keep going and it never bothers me. The longest single stretch I have put in would be at least three hours, maybe four. I never feel worn out when I get off, either. Someone with at least another 20lbs. would probably find it even more comfortable. I would argue that the Versys low gel seat is one of the most comfortable seats I have had on any of the 15+ bikes I have owned, and several of those were custom-fitted.

What kind of exhaust are you running on your versys?
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gooster View Post
hi anybody got a stock seat they want to sell? with the added hassle of packaging to freight to New Zealand.
Cheers Dennis
Mr Gooster,
I might consider that, but have no experience in shipping anything out of country (US). Any advice????
Thanks,
Bob
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Bob, I just shipped some camp chairs to the UK for a UK Versys board member. US mail was the cheapest, but that is not to say cheap! Was $48.50 for an 8 lbs package. Just fill out the customs form, market it as a gift or the receiver pays customs on it.

If Dennis ends up not wanting it I might be interested. Wish I could just buy the seat pan!

Steve
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM

lonerockz,
Sounds good, I'll wait to see what Mr Gooster wants to do, re: shipping seat to New Zealand. If he doesn't want it, we'll explore sending to you.
Take care,
Bob
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 AM

Location: Tauranga, New Zealand -Weather allows year round riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrice View Post
Mr Gooster,
I might consider that, but have no experience in shipping anything out of country (US). Any advice????
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob. Thanks for your reply. Items I have had sent over from the USA before have come by USPS. If you go to www.USPS.com they have a rates chart based on destination and weight. I live in Tauranga, New Zealand and I would be able to pay you by PAYPAL. Are you able to find out how much it will cost and also tell me how much you want for the stock seat. Thanks very much. Cheers, Mr Gooster.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Mr gooster,
I will do the research, but can't tomorrow as I broke a molar chewing on some not quite popped popcorn kernals in the bottom of a left over bowl of the stuff. Not a good idea (and I swallowed the chunk of tooth, no ill effects yet)! So, I'm off to the Dentist, tomorrow. So the next day, or over the weekend I'll check it out and get back.
Take care, and watch out for that left over popcorn!!
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode